Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > At The Track

Old 03-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
.009 from perfect (Dammit!)

1st day of points yesterday. Something had to be in the air yesterday because people were pulling way fast runs during mid-morning time trials. The Daytona ran it's quickest 60' ever and the ET was way quicker than it should have been that weather (60+ degrees, 40%+ humidity, 28.9 barometer).

After that 1st run the car settles down to its "normal" ET range. Runs dead on the numbers all day.

1st round, not a problem. Win easily on the brakes.
2nd round, got a tough Points racer, lost lane choice on a coin flip, yet still beat him running 16.752 on a 16.74 dial.
3rd round, during the hottest part of the day I ran 16.773 on a 16.77 dial (told you she was dead on all day) and was 0.006 from a perfect light. Unfortunately, I was on the red side of perfect (-.006 red) and lost to a racer who had alternator trouble and ran a full tenth off his dial. Damn!

I pull back into my pit spot and notice the odometer = exactly 188,000 miles. Bone stock, never rebuilt, 17 years old, yet still running deadly consistent all day. Nice.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Good Mitch, except for that 006 red

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona View Post
1st day of points yesterday. Something had to be in the air yesterday because people were pulling way fast runs during mid-morning time trials. The Daytona ran it's quickest 60' ever and the ET was way quicker than it should have been that weather (60+ degrees, 40%+ humidity, 28.9 barometer).

I have also seen good things happen, E.T.-wise, around 60-65 deg F., and heat-soaking problems are not as severe.

Quote:

After that 1st run the car settles down to its "normal" ET range. Runs dead on the numbers all day.

1st round, not a problem. Win easily on the brakes.
2nd round, got a tough Points racer, lost lane choice on a coin flip, yet still beat him running 16.752 on a 16.74 dial.

What were the time trial E.T's, and did you have traction issues?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
I have also seen good things happen, E.T.-wise, around 60-65 deg F., and heat-soaking problems are not as severe.

What were the time trial E.T's, and did you have traction issues?

No traction issues for me, though a few other people said they had some minor spin.

I don't have the slips in front of me but the first run was in the mid 16.6's (16.64x perhaps) and then the next run was, I believe, around a 17.72x or 17.73x.

Good thing about her is that as the weather changes I know exactly which way she's going to go (all else remaining consistent). I launch at 1500-rpm and leave her in "3rd" to shift on her own.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
No traction issues for me, though a few other people said they had some minor spin.

I don't have the slips in front of me but the first run was in the mid 16.6's (16.64x perhaps) and then the next run was, I believe, around a 17.72x or 17.73x.

Good thing about her is that as the weather changes I know exactly which way she's going to go (all else remaining consistent). I launch at 1500-rpm and leave her in "3rd" to shift on her own.

If not traction probs, what determines which lane you pick, if given the choice?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

I prefer right lane so I go for that when possible (the stagger is a little different between each lane, not to mention the positioning against the tree). Early on it's not a problem since we can line up in left or right lane and take on whoever's in the other lane. Only when the Elimination Ladder comes out and 2 of us want the same lane then a coin flip occurs.

And I pulled out my slips. My runs were:
Time Shot #1 = 16.675
Time Shot #2 = 16.733
Round #1 = 16.776 on the brakes (incrementals say I should have run 16.733 again)
Round #2 = 16.756
Round #3 = 16.773
Old 03-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
I prefer right lane so I go for that when possible (the stagger is a little different between each lane, not to mention the positioning against the tree). Early on it's not a problem since we can line up in left or right lane and take on whoever's in the other lane. Only when the Elimination Ladder comes out and 2 of us want the same lane then a coin flip occurs.

And I pulled out my slips. My runs were:
Time Shot #1 = 16.675
Time Shot #2 = 16.733
Round #1 = 16.776 on the brakes (incrementals say I should have run 16.733 again)
Round #2 = 16.756
Round #3 = 16.773

Thanks for the documentation. I prefer the right lane, too, it's easier for me to keep an eye on the other car. Not that there's any need to do that.

(what, me? sandbag? no, not at all... )
Old 03-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
wow man, sounds like you're having a damned fine time none the less! I wonder if I'll ever stop going for low ET and start trying out some bracket.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #9
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
wow man, sounds like you're having a damned fine time none the less! I wonder if I'll ever stop going for low ET and start trying out some bracket.

Yeah, if you are at a trophy or cash paying event, you get the two time trials, and go all out on those runs. But to keep racing you obviously have to make a choice to hit the brakes, or not, on occasion.
But since you also want to go for low E.T. what you can do is dial it to your best previous time or even faster, if you think you can easily beat it, then keep your foot in it. Not always a good strategy

In a perfect world, your car is tuned to the max before you get to the track, and your first run is the fastest and a personal best, for a daytime event.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
it should be interesting to say the least....however, I'm about to start experimenting with an "ice bucket" style setup with the liquid intercooler. That should make the second and possibly third runs a little closer to the first, assuming you're not making a hot lap.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
it should be interesting to say the least....however, I'm about to start experimenting with an "ice bucket" style setup with the liquid intercooler. That should make the second and possibly third runs a little closer to the first, assuming you're not making a hot lap.

You're right, hot laps are a killer, forget about low E.T., and be prepared to lose even as much as a half-second or more on a hot day....