Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 10-01-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
Flamezalero2000

Thumbs down

[b][i][u][font=Impact][size=14][color=blue]
:Noooo: issed: :alcoholic: :shout: issed:
I have replaced everything even checked out the head gasket to see if that was the problem. Here is the work I've done :
Intake Gasket - Replaced
Thermostate - Replaced Twice
Every Hose - Replaced Twice
Over Flow Tank - Replaced Twice
Water Pump - Replaced
Fuses to the relay - Replaced Twice
Radiator - Flushed
Radiator - Replaced
Headgasket - Taken apart Unbelievably Perfect

Has anyone had the same trouble and if so do they know the problem?? Does anyone have any suggestions?? I loved this car now I'm pissed because it's a beautiful car that doesn't run or when it does it hits red!!!
Please I need help can't afford to be stuck!!!
Old 10-01-2005, 11:59 PM   #2
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
Did you do this work yourself or did a mechanic do it?
If a mech did it, then they are obviously doing the wrong thing. I mean, replacing the radiator when you're not even sure if its broken or not? Waste of $$$. Go to a different shop. (NOT the dealership, btw..)
Old 10-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #3
Chucklez05

Do your fans work turn on when the car heats up? One or both of the fan motors might have gone out. other also i really dought this of if it could even happen but maybe somthing is lodges inside the block in the water jacket and won't let coolant pass trough (never seen or heard of this so its a wild guess but you never know).

I second taking it to a differant mechanic if your having it proffesional down and deffinatly not to the dealer.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
Oldsmopimp

just a thought....but maybe the gauge is bad. Giving you a false reading???
Old 10-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
bigd6983

yea im with oldsmopimp have you went out to your engine bay and checked how hot it really was? maybe the gauge is acting funny
Old 10-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
black99alero
GX Member

black99alero is an unknown quantity at this point
MIne runs hot as well but NEVER to the red mark............I was told that mine runs warmer due to the fact that my front air damn has broken off and that that has a huge impact on your cars cooling system...............I dont know what to tell ya about that one........
Old 10-02-2005, 06:58 PM   #7
Patch

The air dam under the car is actually more important than the fan itself! The air dam directs air to the rad, no air dam and the car will overheat,especially on the highway, every time. If it is an air dam problem driving around town won't make much of a difference, but will happen on the highway EVERY TIME-even in winter!(I spent 3 years in autobody and this is a true statement)

PS- Black99alero----GET THAT DAM REPLACED!! YOU ARE DAMAGING YOUR MOTOR EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE IT! Excessive heat results in your pistons becoming too large for the cycl walls and will destroy your rings. It is a very serious game your playing with your motor!!!
Old 10-02-2005, 09:39 PM   #8
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
yes.. i second your last statement, ^^there. Little things quickly turn to big things with cars. never leave stuff in your engine that is not working properly for long at all!.
Check minor stuff first though, like the gauge not working.. work your way towards the worst case scenario.

OH AND GET A NEW MECHANIC!!
Old 10-02-2005, 10:35 PM   #9
justinusaf
GL Member

justinusaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to justinusaf
Quote:
Originally posted by Patch@Oct 2 2005, 05:58 PM
no air dam and the car will overheat,especially on the highway, every time. If it is an air dam problem driving around town won't make much of a difference, but will happen on the highway EVERY TIME-even in winter!(I spent 3 years in autobody and this is a true statement)
I think that is a matter of opinion. The alero we had never had an air dam. No problems with cooling. Being and auto body guy you might have seen some cars have that problem, but the Alero made a trip from NJ to Texas. No overheating.

Definitely check the cooling fans out though.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:01 PM   #10
Pimpalero03
V.I.P. Member

Pimpalero03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pimpalero03
have u tried replaceing the alero? lol
Pimpalero03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:48 PM   #11
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
when was the last time you changed your oil? or flushed any of the fluids out? you should get those checked out. Seriously, it'll be some stupid little poop, not big stuff.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:25 PM   #12
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Could also be a bad water temp sensor. If that is bad the fans will not turn on.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:15 PM   #13
black99alero
GX Member

black99alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Not to change the subject but does anyone have a spare airdam laying around that I could buy from them? Or does anyone know where I could get one and how much they cost?
Old 10-03-2005, 02:22 PM   #14
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't had an airdam for 3 years and the temp gets just above the half mark. In my personal experience the air dam does little to nothing.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:05 PM   #15
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by black99alero@Oct 3 2005, 02:15 PM
Not to change the subject but does anyone have a spare airdam laying around that I could buy from them? Or does anyone know where I could get one and how much they cost?
IF you can't find car parts on eBay or in the classified sections of message boards, either go to http://www.buy-oem-parts.com or to the dealer.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:57 PM   #16
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
when i bought my car, a year ago, it never had an air dam. sorry bud, but you shouldn't say always. it's not the case. mine was broken off from be lowered and bottoming out.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #17
Patch

Lowering your car creates less under body drag(forces on front of car are increased while there are great reductions in flow going under the car) This in turn forces more air directally into the rad, without having to pick it up from the ground to create effictive cooling. Put you car back to origional height and you will see an increase in temp on your guage because it is too easy for the air to pass right by the rad. GM spend millions to figure the perfect placement and size of these for a reason or they wouldn't waste their own money on the development of it. They would just leave it out if it wasn't necessary and save themselves a lot of money while still charging top dollar for their cars! If someone in the gm design team could figure a way to eliminate these he/she would be in for a pretty nice bonus.......if you get what I mean.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:20 AM   #18
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ I still disagree. My car didn't have the air dam long before I dropped it.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:46 AM   #19
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by Patch@Oct 4 2005, 08:11 AM
Lowering your car creates less under body drag(forces on front of car are increased while there are great reductions in flow going under the car) This in turn forces more air directally into the rad, without having to pick it up from the ground to create effictive cooling. Put you car back to origional height and you will see an increase in temp on your guage because it is too easy for the air to pass right by the rad. GM spend millions to figure the perfect placement and size of these for a reason or they wouldn't waste their own money on the development of it. They would just leave it out if it wasn't necessary and save themselves a lot of money while still charging top dollar for their cars! If someone in the gm design team could figure a way to eliminate these he/she would be in for a pretty nice bonus.......if you get what I mean.

The air dam has more to do with aerodynamics and handling than cooling.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #20
Patch

I am just repeating what I was taught in college. My info comes directally from one of my text books-wish I had a scanner so I could post for you guys so you could see for yourself. Maybe my brother can help me with this. I hope you don't see this as argueing with you guy's, thats the last thing I would want to do, but there is truth in what I have posted here or I wouldn't have in the first place