Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Polished 3400 SFI

Today I decided I was going to contribute something to the board. (besides my normal BS). So this is my writeup for polishing aluminum to a mirror finish.

1. thoroughly clean whatever you want to polish. I used paint thinner then acetone, alcohol, and water..but you dont need to use all these (its probably overkill anyways)

2. wet sand using various grits of sandpaper.. I used this order and re-cleaned in between grits, remove all the marks from the previous paper, by the time you get done with 2000 it should be almost mirror finish.
220-> 320-> 400-> 800-> 1500-> 2000

3. polish with a buffing pad and aluminum polish (I used Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish)

4. Wipe clean removing any fingerprints and your done

results on my UIM: and no you don't have to ask, I know my engine is dirty..
If the weather permits tomorrow the rest of the UIM is getting hit with a semi-gloss black for a good contrast

Edit: This pic is before I used Mag & Aluminum polish, I ran out of light before I polished.
its much more reflective now.

Last edited by 03Sleepr : 11-16-2010 at 07:03 PM.
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote