Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 01-16-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
AleroAngel83

OK, so Austin replaced my manifold gaskets this weekend, and now the car won't idle below 3500 and its overheating. We're not so concerned about the overheating because we think maybe the thermostat siezed up and needs to be replaced, but the idling has us stumped... everythings hooked back up, no oil leakage or anything.............. anyone who might have an idea whats up, help would be greatly appreciated.

*Brittany*
Old 01-16-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
All I can think off is your leaning the motor out with to much air, which means you may not have something tightened down the whole way. If in fact you are leaning the motor out eventually the headgasket will burn up and destroy your pistons.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:29 PM   #3
AftermathAlero
V.I.P. Member

AftermathAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AftermathAlero
yup.. sounds like something isn't tightened down. prolly upper intake or lower intake.. did he use a torque wrench when tightening down them?

Your overheating is cuz u have air bubbles in your coolant lines. ..they'll work themselves out eventually.

I just the lower intake manifold on my bro's car (99 alero). and everything started up fine. which was my 2nd one i did. 1st one was my own alero
Old 01-16-2005, 08:10 PM   #4
AleroAngel83

Both of those are great suggestions... Aftermath, yes, we did use a torque wrench to tighten them down, they're at 18 PSI. Do you think they need to be tightened further?
Old 01-16-2005, 09:27 PM   #5
AftermathAlero
V.I.P. Member

AftermathAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AftermathAlero
aight did yall use loctite with pipe thread sealant when yall put back the lower intake? and then torque that to 115 inch pounds?

Very important: When you used the torque wrench.. did yall have an extension? If so .. for every 1" of extension you need to increase 3 ft lbs to it.

if all that is done.. and the vaccum lines are correct. Then you prolly have a sticky throttle body or dirty to where it isn't closing all the way. or your idle air control valve is defective.

And is everything pluged back in and/Or loose connections with the wiring harness. Can't hurt to recheck em.