Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
MP99Alero
GL Member

MP99Alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to MP99Alero
Repairs

So I'm finally gonna have my Alero back, either I'm gonna go pick it up from cali and drive it here to Az, or i'm gonna get it flat bedded.
I was just wondering if someone(s) could help, by giving sugestions, on what repairs I should do immediatly. The car isn't in the best looking shape but have good tires on it, and isn't a safety risk. The engine has less than 85K but sat for over a year without being started. I'm gonna put $200 into it once it gets here, then start putting about $100-150 a month after that.
What i need is help with figuring out what to do first, sugestions would be appreciated, thanks.......
Old 04-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
first off, how much gas is in the tank while it's been sitting?
Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Ghadsphi is an unknown quantity at this point
What part of Cali? If it's not that far I'd drive it out there for the price of a train ticket home and some beer. Has it been garaged or outdoors?
Oil change for sure. If it's outdoors, a good washing! I'd go with Oil change and put the rest into gas and stress test it. Oh and check the battery.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
first off, how much gas is in the tank while it's been sitting?

mine sat 3 years with half a tank
Old 04-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
doesn't mean it's good for it, i take no chances, mine sat for three years with 1/4 but i still drained it, and put 91 just be be safe for the motor....
Old 05-01-2009, 03:00 AM   #6
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

I might be the vilage idiot. But I can change your oil, and drain and refill enough of your gas. If you think it's going to be less than I siphon, you're wrong lol. I can add fuel cleaner for free. Dunno what it is but it's it's ok. Might not want to run it on a settled system though. Depends on where it's parked though.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #7
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Get it to the closest gas station and fill it with premium, that should dilute the bad gas enough to be ok. Then once you get it back, change all the fluids and filters. Besides from that, it really shouldn't need that much work on a car with 85k. Might need a new battery tho.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
MP99Alero
GL Member

MP99Alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to MP99Alero
battery was replaced in dec cause i needed to drive it to the dock in Hi. Oil was changed at same time, it was outside, but cuvered, never started.
I left it with less than 1/8th a tank of gas. Tires have no sign of dry rot, so I'm just worried about the engine. hopin' I can get it towed out to az cause I can't afford to fly out to cali, and drive it back.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Well I'd drive it just to get outta town. Any other time I'd take the trip back as a community service. But I got ASS in June and ComicCon in July. Well unless the oilchange before that was junk oil that you burned and topped off a couple times, I wouldn't worry about engine problems. Of you left it with 1/8th of a tank, may as well throw in some fuel cleaner before ya fill it up.