Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #41
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
Like I said, I've got dyno pulls that show a reduction in low end torque with a higher flowing exhaust, but, your still right

You don't race at 2000-3000rpm do you?
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #42
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyhunter View Post
You don't race at 2000-3000rpm do you?

however if you hit max torque in this range and normally your going to launch in this range.....well as any drag racer knows torque wins races.

So if he is launching a 455 the above applies and if on the dyno he produces more torque with closed high flow exhaust rather than open headers or straight pipes this would lead that person to believe that a little bit of back pressure is better than none because it works best for his setup.

This is where the confusion and back and forth comes from.

Because my buddy with his GN has a 3.5" downpipe to a muffler right under the passanger seat so it is basically no back pressure and he produces more power than a closed high flow exhaust system so in this case it is the opposite.

It all depends on your setup, power band, fuel curve, etc.

Another example...........3" exhaust straight pipes on a N/A alero isn't going to produce more power or better ET than that same alero with a SLP exhaust system.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #43
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post

Another example...........3" exhaust straight pipes on a N/A alero isn't going to produce more power or better ET than that same alero with a SLP exhaust system.

I believe this was already discussed in the thread, when talking about velocity.

I launch almost at 4750-5000rpm, I have different ideas of launching. :-D
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #44
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
I know your theory does not apply to all motors and every setup out there.

So unless you have built every motor known to man and every setup possible and dyno tested all of them, your chickenyness is only that.
Regardless of which engine we're talking about, and my apparent "chickenyness", you still want the least amount of backpressure possible.
Quote:
however if you hit max torque in this range and normally your going to launch in this range.....well as any drag racer knows torque wins races.

So if he is launching a 455 the above applies and if on the dyno he produces more torque with closed high flow exhaust rather than open headers or straight pipes this would lead that person to believe that a little bit of back pressure is better than none because it works best for his setup.

This is where the confusion and back and forth comes from.
It may lead someone to believe that backpressure is making more torque, but in reality the setup that makes less torque doesn't maintain high velocity to maximize the scavenging effect.
Quote:
Because my buddy with his GN has a 3.5" downpipe to a muffler right under the passanger seat so it is basically no back pressure and he produces more power than a closed high flow exhaust system so in this case it is the opposite.
Throwing a turbo in the exhaust stream is a different story. You want large piping to get all the restriction and backpresure off the turbine wheel so it'll spool faster and make more power by staying spooled longer. The largest, straightest, shortest exhaust pipe is the best for a turbo.
Quote:
Again, this goes back to velocity. The 3" system will make more power, but it'll peak higher up in the rpm band. With smaller piping, yet still free flowing mufflers, the exhaust will have higher velocity and therefore make more low end torque, with the possibility of slightly lower peak, high rpm horsepower.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #45
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
ah the good old backpressure debate.
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #46
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
Again, this goes back to velocity. The 3" system will make more power, but it'll peak higher up in the rpm band. With smaller piping, yet still free flowing mufflers, the exhaust will have higher velocity and therefore make more low end torque, with the possibility of slightly lower peak, high rpm horsepower.

this was my point. And depending on your power band of your setup it determines which exhaust setup is best for your car.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #47
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
Sounds great. Post 'em up, along with the specs on the engine and exhaust.

I know I'm right

They are at home. I'm not sure where they went (over 5 years old) and not interested in looking for them. Like I said, I really don't care that much about the performance of the 'ho any more. I'm also not interested in arguing over the Internet, so if it makes you feel better you can be right

Have a nice day!
Old 05-07-2009, 03:29 AM   #48
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
this was my point. And depending on your power band of your setup it determines which exhaust setup is best for your car.
Exactly, that's kind of what I was getting at in the first place. How the car is going to be used determines the exhaust setup that will work best to maximize torque and horsepower. And regardless of how the car is being used, backpressure is still your worst enemy in an exhaust system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
They are at home. I'm not sure where they went (over 5 years old) and not interested in looking for them. Like I said, I really don't care that much about the performance of the 'ho any more. I'm also not interested in arguing over the Internet, so if it makes you feel better you can be right

Have a nice day!
That's ok Eddie, I figured they'd be lost I'm not trying to start a fight, I could care less about arguing over the internet, I was just correcting some false information so other people that don't know can get the right information.