Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Product Reviews

Old 07-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Lucas Transmission stop leak

My mech told me to buy a bottle and put it in because a test of my transmission showed the tranny oil isn't keeping constant pressure for some reason. Looking for pump failure soon. Been having these syptoms for a few years now, but it's been a few times in the past 2 months.

Product: Lucas Transmission stop leak
Cost: 12.99 plus state sales tax
Where bought: Advance Auto Parts
Ease of install: Poured in the entire bottle, very thick stuff so it's not a quick open and pour in as funnel filled up pretty quick
Tools required: Not required, but recommend a transmission funnel
Time of install: about 5 minnutes
How to install: With the engine and transmission warm, take the stuff and pour it in. Very thick, so you cannot pour the entire bottle in one shot

I was a little hestant doing this, but I figured to save some time before having to put out the cash for a new transmission ($1,000 used $2900 new) and my mech recommened it, I did it.

After putting it in. I "power braked" the car a little bit (not enough to spin the wheels) in each gear, then took the car for a little drive (1 block up 1 block back) Pulled out of my driveway only 1/2 throttle and I spun up the wheels The tranny isn't slipping at all. the shifts are better and quicker. I noticed a difference right away. I didn't realize how the tranny was slipping. Not bad, but it's better now.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
glad to hear it worked. Is this just a temporary fix?
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
good to hear. we put a bottle of that in my aunts saturn that was slipping BAD and now it shifts better than my alero :/
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
How many miles are on this transmission?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Okay I will bite. Gonna try this. Thanks Red

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLw7123 View Post
glad to hear it worked. Is this just a temporary fix?

Pretty much, just buying some time, but then again, it's been doing this slipping thing since I had the tranny rebuild in 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake View Post
good to hear. we put a bottle of that in my aunts saturn that was slipping BAD and now it shifts better than my alero :/

I know, right, not slipping bad here, but noticed an improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
How many miles are on this transmission?

around 70,000 to 75,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGT View Post
Okay I will bite. Gonna try this. Thanks Red

Worth the $13

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
Did you drain some atf out of the trans before you put it in? As long as its not overfilled.. but this stuff really does work. We used it on a t&c van the other day after a lady drove it with no trans fluid.. It was bumping while downshifting after fixing its leak, but after adding lucas it drives better than ever! They're power steering additive works well to quiet noisy pumps too. It isn't a permanent fix but it saves people a lot of money in some instances.
pawzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:26 AM   #8
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Also I highly reamend their oil additive (I put it in every change) and the fuel cleaner/stabilizer everynow and then. At a local auto store they had a gear tower that you could rotate via handle, with just oil, and oil with the Lucas oil additive, the difference is easy to see. Oh and the power steering fluid! I had a vary slow leek, and slowly kept adding some till level stayed proper, I noticed better steering and havent had a problem in the 10000 miles scence then.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
Also I highly reamend their oil additive (I put it in every change) and the fuel cleaner/stabilizer everynow and then. At a local auto store they had a gear tower that you could rotate via handle, with just oil, and oil with the Lucas oil additive, the difference is easy to see. Oh and the power steering fluid! I had a vary slow leek, and slowly kept adding some till level stayed proper, I noticed better steering and havent had a problem in the 10000 miles scence then.

I have also seen that display, but I wonder how it compares to synthetic oil., not conventional oil.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
The display case they had reg. Senthetic and the Lucas, the Lucas was much closer to the synthetic with how it acted, but it's just and additive too, not what you change all your oil with.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
I use synthetic oil in my truck but I might try the trans additive.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGT View Post
I use synthetic oil in my truck but I might try the trans additive.

If you need to do a trans service i recommend Valvoline Max Life ATF.. Its for higher mileage vehicles, and everyone has been really happy with it that I know of. If you have a chrysler product, then I like Red Line C+ ATF. I always stock both of these products at work!
pawzbear is offline   Reply With Quote