Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 04-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
nixon
GX Member

nixon is on a distinguished road
exhaust

Im planning on chopping off the resonator but got a question or 2. First I have a Ractive straight through muffler on right now, with the res off I wont loose to much back pressure would i? or is that a dumb question?

As well will it make it retardedly loud with a straight through muffler?
nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
dhurst765
GX Member

dhurst765 is on a distinguished road
ive got all stock piping on mine to a 2.5 in inlet to a 4 in outlet straight thru muffler and its not to loud
dhurst765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes it will sound pretty gay with a fart can and no resonator. Why do you want to do that anyway?
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
dhurst765
GX Member

gee thanks that is what i got but i also have the eco
Old 04-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Caboose73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurst765 View Post
gee thanks that is what i got but i also have the eco

well you still have a resonator so your fart can doesnt sound as bad as his will
Old 04-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
dhurst765
GX Member

now what about if i hae a custom catback ade would it sound different
Old 04-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Misuseofyou
GL Member

Misuseofyou is on a distinguished road
Ecotec with a fart can, wow. That would blow any honda out of the water as far as sounding like shit goes.

Heres an ecotec sound clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6kPRp6xZak
Misuseofyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
nixon
GX Member

haha come on now, my car doesnt sound THAT bad...so it's just going to sound worse then without the res on it?
Old 04-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixon View Post
with the res off I wont loose to much back pressure would i? or is that a dumb question?
I'll be honest with you...

Yes, that's a dumb question. The stock resonator is pretty restrictive, so yes, if you remove it, you will lose backpressure. But that's a good thing. You don't want any backpressure in an exhaust system.

It will be pretty loud with all stock piping, no resonator, and a straight through muffler. If you don't want to do the whole exhaust, I would maybe get a 2" straight through resonator to put in place of the stock one you remove. That would somewhat keep the noise down a little.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
nixon
GX Member

hmm good to know but correct me if im wrong...and to this may be totally different when dealing witha v8 but i know in my dodge dakota R/T that if too much back pressure is released then you loose a lot of the low end torque. would this not apply to my car as well??

oh and im getting rid of the muffler i got pulled over on thursday for a "illegal" muffler and 110 dollar fine haha so thats going and im trying to find a nice magnaflow but all of them are straight throughs
Old 04-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
LOL the typical backpressure myth...

Sure, if you cut off the entire exhaust it's going to run like crap and have little torque, and it will have zero "back pressure" but that's not why it's bad. It's all about exhaust VELOCITY. The velocity of the moving air aids in pulling the combustion gases out of the cylinder head.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
nixon
GX Member

ah so its not really true that it affects the torque then eh? and what muffler would anyone recommend with the resonator removed, if i got pulled over as is definitely not sticking with straight through or at least a ractive straight through
Old 04-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
Caboose73

get a dynomax super turbo i know it sounds good on the LD9 so it should be fine on the eco
Old 04-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #14
nixon
GX Member

well thats good cause I have the LD9 haha. does the super turbo have baffles in it? because i thought if it had baffles on a 4 cyc it would make it sound...hows a way to explain it...like a tiny can or something...
Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #15
Caboose73

o haha no clue about the baffles but i know it sounds good on me and Ions cars and ive never herd anyone say they sounded bad
Old 04-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #16
nixon
GX Member

hmm alright well i'll give that one a shot, guess i might as well just run all new piping from the cat all the way back too haha
Old 04-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #17
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
a Dynomax on an eco sounds fine, nice tone, not too deep but not ricey at all and definentily do it up with a catback. 2.5 worked fine for me
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #18
AbHeLlRaZoR
Canada's Ghost

AbHeLlRaZoR is on a distinguished road
just get a 2.25" custom cat back with a Magnaflow muffler it doesn't get any better than that for a start on a exhaust system... well in my mind.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:17 AM   #19
PappaSmurf
GLS member

PappaSmurf is on a distinguished road
Nixon,
If you want a bad-as% sounding exhaust system, that you can build upon (once piece at a time) like me than I suggest getting yourself a Magnaflow 14816 StreetSeries Muffler to start out with. This is what I did (bought it from alerosaint here on the forums) and I LOVE the sound! Not to loud and obnoxiuos like most hondas with fart cans, but definitely an attention getter. I have had the muffler on for a week and a half and my wife has had to remind me to back me down from a couple of challenges, mostly because my son was in the back seat. NOT street racing, we have open races here at BAMA Dragway (local drag strip) on Saturdays, where it is LEGAL to "see what ya got". I plan to get the highflow catalytic converter from Magnaflow and put it where the stock resonator is, then 2.5" piping to the muffler. I think that you will be amazed at the sound it gives you. NICE deep tone on the lower RPMs yet it's quiet once you hit the higher RPMs, unlike the "bumble bees in a coffee can."
-Smurf-

P.S. Call me sometime and I would be more than happy to let you hear it. PM me for my number.
PappaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #20
Alerosaint
Gone but not forgotten

Alerosaint is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alerosaint Send a message via Yahoo to Alerosaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixon View Post
well thats good cause I have the LD9 haha. does the super turbo have baffles in it? because i thought if it had baffles on a 4 cyc it would make it sound...hows a way to explain it...like a tiny can or something...

Go to dynomax website, the have information about their technology and diagrams of inside the muffler