Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Product Reviews

Old 07-17-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Phantom Plate?

Anyone heard of this product before? Looks to be promising, and ever since my wife got a nice ticket in Delaware from a Red light camera, I 've been looking for a way to beat that system.

http://www.phantomplate.com/
Old 07-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
that site is blocked for me, but if it is a plastic cover that is not clear then it is most likely illegal.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000 View Post
that site is blocked for me, but if it is a plastic cover that is not clear then it is most likely illegal.
Well they have the license plate covers that distort the view but they also make this product that you spray on the plate and it has crystals in it that pretty much reflects the cameras flash back at it. It supposedly been out awhile...this is just the first I have heard about it...didn't know if anyone else has come across it.

The videos on the site are pretty convincing.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
You really think the camera will cause a flash bright enough to wash out the entire license plate from ~40 feet away during the day? If anything even at night, the reflectivity would just make the plate slightly readable, nothing Photoshop can't fix. It's easy to increase the contrast.

Probably shouldn't run red lights anyway, it's kinda dangerous. lol
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Not thinking about running red lights but they have been thinking about getting those cameras around here for awhile, and these cameras are owned by private companies.....who we all know they just want to make a buck. I do think that the flash is significant..being that it is brighter than the sun....LOL....but I wouldnt' mind giving it a try, but not at thirty bucks a can. The plates looks very promising as well.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
mythbusters tested all these red light camera things... none of them work... you always get caught

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
Those red light cameras can catch you speeding too...trust me, been there, done that...got a nice ticket from the shity of cleveland.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
thats what happens when you ride dirty down euclid ave.

i remember you had a good reason for going that fast though and i would have done the same.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
I did have a good reason...and they should be happy I was going as slow as I was.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel6632 View Post
mythbusters tested all these red light camera things... none of them work... you always get caught

Unless you're going like 175 MPH that is.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #11
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleN0alero View Post
Those red light cameras can catch you speeding too...trust me, been there, done that...got a nice ticket from the shity of cleveland.

Holy crap...you can still pull those up? Wait am I missing something..looks like you are in the clear? Nevermind....it was a speeding ticket.

I don't believe to much in the mythbusters test..because they only cover some variables and not all.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:48 AM   #12
Dhoyle
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Dhoyle is on a distinguished road
yea mythbusters isnt well the best. When they were doing the whole can u really shoot a lock off test, they used Master something locks which to prove a point one of their comercials along time ago had a demo of a guy shooting a lock point blank and it still working. and the locks in the movies they were tryin to debunk were old school padlocks. Sorry offtopic i guess....
Old 07-18-2009, 01:55 AM   #13
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
doubleN0alero: Those red light cameras can catch you speeding too...trust me, been there, done that...got a nice ticket from the city of cleveland.

fixed jk lol
Old 07-18-2009, 02:16 AM   #14
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
I do know that many people in Arizona are talking about ANY license plate frame and/or cover of any sort is instant ticket. Best bet is just drive legal.

Trust me, as fast as this stupid thing will go, it's not that hard to keep the foot out of it with a little self-control.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #15
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
about the mythbusters thing... also keep in mind... its a TV show. There are tons of things they do, they don't make it to film, for sake of continuity. If they showed everything they did to test, it would take about a week, per myth, to air.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #16
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Probably shouldn't run red lights anyway, it's kinda dangerous. lol

Not really the point tho. These cameras exploit motorists for the purpose of creating revenue. What if the intersection does not provide the correct duration of yellow in proportion to the posted speed limit? I've seen lots of those. What if you barely clipped the light and almost any human officer wouldn't have looked twice? What if someone else is driving your car? What if you're driving someone elses car? Too many variables yet the ticket you get in the mail is all but set in stone all because they have a picture from just one angle.

I agree that the product probably doesn't work tho. It might work on cheaper cameras and in certain circumstances, but its a deterrent at best, and it would be extremely difficult to beat the quality of equipment they are using.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #17
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

Ah, if somebody else is driving your car, they ask for their information and forward the ticket to that person. That involves you selling out your friend or whatever. I guess the ONLY good thing about these tickets is they don't cost you any points on your license. Its just pay the fine and go. You can also fight them and win everytime, but in my case; I was 10 hours away when I got mine.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:48 PM   #18
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
Well they have the license plate covers that distort the view but they also make this product that you spray on the plate and it has crystals in it that pretty much reflects the cameras flash back at it. It supposedly been out awhile...this is just the first I have heard about it...didn't know if anyone else has come across it.

The videos on the site are pretty convincing.

i saw it advertised in a Nopi mag years ago i think
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #19
Psyfox
GX Member

Psyfox is on a distinguished road
Buy it, test it, tell us if it really works. Lol.

Pictures can be viewed here: http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...20Alero%20GLS/
Psyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:11 AM   #20
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
None of them work, and they are most likely illegal. If they get even a partial of your plate, they can match it to the type of vehicle and you're hosed.

However.... I was wondering, if you surrounded your license plate with IR LEDs, they would be invisible to the naked eye, but would over power any electronic camera. Might have to make one up for the heck of it, and test it out????
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote