Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 11-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
TopHat428
GX Member

TopHat428 is on a distinguished road
LED head lights

So i was thinking about buying LED headlights: Lows, highs, and fogs.
I have heard about LED lights making your cruise control stop working i was just wanting to hear it from more people is this true??
if i put LED headlights in my car will i lose my cruise control?
and since im already on the subject if i put in LED headlights will i need any regulators for those?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
never seen someone put leds as a driving light in there car...

why dont you just get HID's?
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
I would presume, due to your question about the cruise control, this is a daily driver, not a show car?

If it's a DD, I'd not touch LED headlights. At all.

Halogen, HIR, or HID. And for low beams, I'd highly consider HIRs or projectors for the HIDs.

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
Do NOT put leds in your headlights. Sure, leds might look bright when you look at them, but they really don't give off that much light.

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Actually what Jhubbz should be rephrased... don't put LED's in place of halogens. You can use LED for your parking and turning bulbs but there's no LED replacement for the 9006 and 9005 bulbs. You could make them yourself but it's not a good idea. If you feel you're up for the task, you should convert your lights to HID. Do it right, get a HID projector and put it in the housing, paint it and you have a nice looking headlight.

You only lose cruise control when you use LED on the rear tails because the car thinks the brakes are applied so the 3rd brake light is on all the time. The only way to counter that is to use resistors in the tails.
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

Ok, true dat nas.

When someone mentions headlights, I only think of the 9005 and 9006. I have led turn signals/brakes in the rear, but had to run a resistor to get the cruise control working again. Also, hyper flash is not your friend. The outer front bulb in the headlights is also an led, but have not done any resistor work there. Lately I've been thinking about getting an led to replace the inner turn bulb, but just don't want to drop that cash right now.

Done lost my mind
Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
TopHat428
GX Member

TopHat428 is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for your help!!
So after reading this all i decided i will get HID headlights thanks i was considering HID's but i just didnt want to deal with balist's idk if that's spelt right
But im getting HID's hopefully soon!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHat428 View Post
Thanks everyone for your help!!
So after reading this all i decided i will get HID headlights thanks i was considering HID's but i just didnt want to deal with balist's idk if that's spelt right
But im getting HID's hopefully soon!

If you don't want to work with ballasts, there's always HIRs ... here's one web page where they describe them. There's other sources for the bulbs, however.

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

THREAD BUMP WHAT WHAT

Since getting my Malibu, I've been on their respective board. Not a whole lot of modifications besides intakes, headlight conversions, and speaker installations. The simplest things that Aleromod doesn't pay much attention to.

Anyway, high-powered LED bulbs seem to be getting really popular. This 9006 kit from Xenon Depot might be a good experiment for someone with some money to spare.

Most of the newer Malibus have projector housings though, so the light output might be a bit different in a Halogen housing. Something to consider!

Done lost my mind
Old 11-04-2015, 01:48 AM   #10
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I have only ran DDM 55w kits in the alero with no real problems. The cruze headlights however are controled by the ECM and control their drls with lower votage, thus a typical HID kit wont work. (not to mention the tiny factory wiring) I only found one good post over there about a guy trying an orical LED kit (which I was also looking at) He used it in the stock hologen housing.
Findings-
Super bright spot with a very small and dim spread.
The hi and low are projected out the top/bottom of the bulb, making aiming nearly impossible as the reflection in the housing changed so dramatically.
I decided they weren't worth the money. I will wait until some later gen bulbs come on the market that provide better results. Still rocking factory bulbs in the cruze and the same old 55w HID kit in the alero.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #11
jawa