Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
03alero2.2
GX Member

03alero2.2 is on a distinguished road
wheel baring

i got a grinding noise coming from my front right im pretty sure it is the wheel baring but i was wondering if it would cause the traction control to go off?
03alero2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH

yeah, its your wheel bearing is your ABS light on too?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
03alero2.2
GX Member

no its just the traction control light
Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03alero2.2 View Post
no its just the traction control light

hit ETS then? try that?? idk, run a diagnostic?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
undersc0re
GX Member

undersc0re is on a distinguished road
Usually a sure sign is the grinding or it sounds like loud tire noise, and sometimes your traction light, service engine soon light, and ABS light come on all together. Its sometimes tricky to figure out which side its coming from. It seems like whenever I change the brakes, one of the wheel bearings go out with them! Maybe heat related I dunno....Good Luck, its a pretty straight forward job, you might wanna do the brakes if they are close to being worn out while your doing the wheel bearing....I also had the traction light come on for a while when I got new tires put on.
undersc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
03alero2.2
GX Member

thanks ive done them befor but ive never had the traction light come on when they went bad tho and just making shur thats why it came on
Old 03-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
03alero2.2
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
hit ETS then? try that?? idk, run a diagnostic?

i hooked it up to the obdII scanner thing and it came up with nothing
Old 03-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

did you try hitting the ETS button? umm, only other thing i can think of is, unhook batt. and rehook after like 5 min
Old 03-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
03alero2.2
GX Member

yea i tryed hitting the ets button it does nothing and tryed the battery so im thinking it is the wheel baring that is causing it
Old 03-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

huh....... wierd
Old 03-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #11
03alero2.2
GX Member

could it be a bad bearing setting it off
Old 03-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #12
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03alero2.2 View Post
could it be a bad bearing setting it off

umm, well, considering the price of the bearing, jack your car up, and wiggle the wheel, if it moves AT ALL(like clunks or sumthin, it might be bad)
Old 03-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
03alero2.2
GX Member

it is makin a grindin noise when i turn left and it stops when i turn right so i thin it might be a baring
Old 03-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
undersc0re
GX Member

undersc0re is on a distinguished road
Your average home car code reader won't tell you anything about that it, will be one of the Wheel hubs sensors or bearings, in which case the hub assembly will have to be replaced unless your harness or plug came loose on it. Most likely its the bad bearing doing it if you hear the grinding noise already. The lights don't always come on when you hear a bad bearing. Hopefully you choose the right side when you replace it! I would suggest jacking each side up and spinning the wheel to see which side is noisier.
undersc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #15
03alero2.2
GX Member

the left one is new like i did it last week so i hope it is the right one
Old 03-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #16
ServO
GL Member

ServO is on a distinguished road
If the grinding sound gets more intense when you turn in one specific direction but practiacally goes away when you turn the other way then it's definately the bearing. I had that problem soon after I got my Alero, and it was more of a buzzing sound...reminded me of something like a WWII dive bomber or something. Eventually the ABS, SES, and BRAKE likghts will all pop on, and that's a scary thing...do you and your car a favor and get it fixed...it's not horribly expensive...I think I paid less than $200 to have the bearing, and a couple of other minor things fixed all at the same time. You don't want to have that bearing seize while you're cruising down the interstate at 70 mph.
Also you can tell if it's really starting to get out of control if you can actually feel the vibration through the floor...it's starts as just a wierd sound, but will eventually get worse. Have someone ride with you and see which side the noise is coming from...theres the bad bearing...otherwise a competent mechanic will be able to tell you pretty quickly which one is the culprit.
ServO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #17
03alero2.2
GX Member

yea im going to fix it tomorrow but ive neve had any light come on when they went bad
Old 03-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #18
03alero2.2
GX Member

just got to get me some money im runnig on half tank and that has to last till next Friday it sucks
Old 03-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #19
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
You have a bad bearing as the traction control light will come on sometimes.We are in for some decent weather,so this is a nice time to change the bearing.Also when Your checking Your bearing,check the wiring going to the wheel speed sensor for frays etc.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #20
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeze12 View Post
You have a bad bearing as the traction control light will come on sometimes.We are in for some decent weather,so this is a nice time to change the bearing.Also when Your checking Your bearing,check the wiring going to the wheel speed sensor for frays etc.

good points my speed sensor wires were chewed when i got my car, it still read, but not accuratly, and the TRAC off a ABS SES and a few other lights were on