Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Starting problem.

I'm thinking its the starter, but want opinions... Recently the car has been having a really hard time starting. I turn the key and it barely cranks but just enough to get going... Lights and everything stay on so I don't think it's the battery. Once it is running, everything is fine. Drives great and everything which also makes me confident it's not a battery issue... Ideas?
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
does it start easier when the car is warm,cold, or is it pretty much the same regardless...when mine had a bad battery it seemed to be working fine except my clock kept resetting until one morning that was a little colder I went out and it barely started...other than that it was running just fine, and the lights and everything responded as they should have
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
If I shut it off and start it back up, it has no problems... The battery was bought back in early 2010 when I was in Arizona...
Old 02-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I believe it is the battery...what brand is it because my battery was a duralast gold and it was from 2010...it showed no signs of a problem until that one time and since I had to drive home 160 miles the next day I went to have the battery and alternator tested and the problem was the battery...it is free to get oriellys and probably autozone to test it for you
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

I want to say it is a duralast, but not 100% sure. I'll check it tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Sounds like a battery to me also. Might have a bad cell.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Best way to know if it's the battery is if the lights flicker when you have your heads on and you turn on your blinkers or any other accessory. My Cutlass was doing that, and it would be hard to start, sometimes needing a jump and it turned out it was the battery, then the idiot at the parts store didn't put the cable in right so it became a battery issue to a connection issue.

Moral of the post... have your battery and alternator tested at Auto Zone. Don't go to Advance Auto Parts since they don't test alternators.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Not the battery.... Changed it today but it still has problems starting.... At least I have a new battery. LOL
Old 02-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

So tune up didn't work as well as a new battery. So I'm positive it's the starter going bad... It still struggles to crank. Occasionally, when it starts, it will idle rough for a few seconds due to a hard start... I really don't see it being anything else as it runs just fine when driving... It's just getting it to start...
Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Are you sure that the alternator is working?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

If it was the alternator, I would have thought the car would die while driving it... But it runs just fine while driving.

Something happened last night that made me sure it was the starter. It tried to start, but couldn't turn over. The starter started smoking real bad and made a weird noise. Did the same thing this morning, but the car started.

I replaced the starter this afternoon, and it definitely seems to have fixed the problem. Fires right up with no problems, and no long, hard starts.