Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 02-16-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
alero_ecotec
Special Agent

alero_ecotec is an unknown quantity at this point
For those of you who have tinted your windows, who has done it themselves? I think i can do it, my problem is that all the rolls of window tin that i've found have never been wide enough to do the front and back windsheild with just one cover, it would take cutting and peicing (like one long wide strip, and then prob. a skinny long strip at the top) And if you have had it done professionally, how much did it run you?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
AleroBloke

I know from experience tinting your windows yourself is hard! It will look pretty crappy, and the space on your driver and passenger (front and back) will have a big gap that is noticeble when you roll your windows down, i think it looks ugly, professionals do it best, they take time to shrink it heat it, cut the lines perfect, it totally is worth it, for me in utah, it ran me 165.00 to do all the windows. hope this helps. professionally is the best way, it will just look crappy if you do it yourself, no matter how good you think you are, they have all the right tools and are trained.

BLOKE
Old 02-16-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
bigd6983

yea i concur.......they do a good job.....
Old 02-16-2005, 02:53 PM   #4
OpalaAlero

It cost me about $200 to have 20% done all the way around on my 4 door. 20% is perfect, and it looks great.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:56 PM   #5
3.4 Euro Alero
GL Member

3.4 Euro Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by OpalaAlero@Feb 16 2005, 03:53 PM
It cost me about $200 to have 20% done all the way around on my 4 door. 20% is perfect, and it looks great.
I agree. 20% looks really good as that's what I have done as well. It put me back $300.00 CDN at probably the best shop in my city.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:10 PM   #6
mixmastercase
GL Member

mixmastercase is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mixmastercase
It cost me $185CDN

Where did you go 3.4
mixmastercase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:26 PM   #7
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
I know this guy he charged me 150 for 5% Limo. Lovely :thumbsup:

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #8
bnight04
GLS member

bnight04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to bnight04
well cops are bitches over here... so I have limo in the back 3 and 40% in the fronts. It looks good

Ran me 165...

If you cant find anything down in ohio, take a road trip down in the chicago area
Old 02-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #9
Travis99Alero

if u have to ask how to tint your windows, chances are u wont be able to do it yourself. save yourself he headache and pay to have it done...it's worth it.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:52 PM   #10
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
i had mine done by a shop, 38% with a marquise finish, ran me about $150 and its guaranteed for life. :thumbsup:
Old 02-16-2005, 06:16 PM   #11
stealthlero
V.I.P. Member

stealthlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to stealthlero
i got mine tinted from this guy that owns a business in the twin cities, and he has a lake home close to where i live, me and a buddy went over and got both our's tinted all around 15% for 175, very nice job!! :thumbsup:
stealthlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:28 PM   #12
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
I agree. Tinting is not easy. Windows are concave and can only be tinted with heat. It is not easy and can quickly ruin your tint, vinyl, or window seals. I had a pretty bad experience with a shop that did mine. The guy placed the heat gun too close to the door and melted the vinyl. I understand that problems occur. This was no problem as long as they agree to fix it. The owner waited until after I paid and was about to leave before informing me. He then proceeded to tell me that it was not all that bad. One look showed me that the rear door had a size of a dollar bill melted into the vinyl. I asked when he was going to fix it. I could tell that he was going to try and avoid the big cost. He suggested a refund of my money. Let me see. A new door panel is over three hundred. The tint cost me 185. I don't think so. After about fifteen minutes he agreed to order a new vinyl piece. I then laughed and explained that the panel comes in one piece. Now is the part that pissed me off to no end. I worked third shift and had drove 65 miles to have them tint the car. I asked if the panel could be sent to my GM dealership and installed to save my milage and time. He refused. I then asked if I could just instal the panel. I realy did not want to come all the way back and wait another three hours for the door. He refused again. On the day that I drove up for the exchange, I asked to be in the room when he changed the panel. I didn't want for any posts to be broken. I also informed him that new snaps should be used to avoid a loose seal. He claimed that it would be done but I had to stay where in the loby. When the car was done, he literaly throwed the keys to me and said have good F@#$ ing day. The cool part was that he didn't realize that the district manager came in to see how the job was going. I didn't realize who it was until the guy (the one that threw the keys) went pale. I swear that I had to of had the biggest grin on my face at that time. The district manager asked for me to sit down and the manager to come in back for a minute. Two minutes later I had a partial refund and a new panel.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:02 PM   #13
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
you guys get tint cheap, around here its 250-275 (minnesota)

ziebart was running a sale for $30 off, but he told me he'd do 60 off, so i got it for 189 which around here is REALLY cheap, did a good job too, 1 piece rear window...i hate 2 piece rears. there are some spots that tint just doesn't stick too (the back windows on a 4 door......the tiny ones......those dots around the edges, tint doesn't stick to it. but he made it look really good regardless
Old 02-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #14
flalero

Like everyone else said, I wouldn't do it yourself. Every home tint job I've seen has bubble in it within 6 months. I got mine done in 15% all around for about $170. It is high quality, metallic based tint that has a lifetime warranty.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:46 PM   #15
slowandlow
V.I.P. Member

slowandlow is an unknown quantity at this point
pn 185lifetime warentee. i will never own a car and not tint the windows.
slowandlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:01 PM   #16
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
I tint with photoshop. Very simple mod. Free if you download the trial.

:thumbsup:
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:14 AM   #17
3.4 Euro Alero
GL Member

3.4 Euro Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by mixmastercase@Feb 16 2005, 04:10 PM
It cost me $185CDN

Where did you go 3.4
Shades. The guy used to only do vehicles that he ok's. In other words, no crappy or cheap cars. It may have only been $250.00, can't recall. Nicest tint I have ever had!
Old 02-17-2005, 09:59 AM   #18
mixmastercase
GL Member

mixmastercase is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mixmastercase
Ya he's really good. he was going to charge me 250. but I found it for cheaper at Accur-it in Orleans lifetime warranty and I love it.
mixmastercase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #19
Alero04

20%...now is that dark dark? cuz im getting mine tinted next tuesday and i guess its 'illegal' in my city to have the door windows tinted...(i dun care tho cuz my dad's a cop:P)
mixmastercase...is urs 20%?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:12 AM   #20
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
20% isnt dark. 5% is dark.

with 20% you'll still be able to see in.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote