Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 05-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
How to: Cabin air filter

This is how I did it. If you want to add to or have an idea to improve just post it.

Here we go.
Things needed:
10mm socket
14mm socket
ratchet
cabin air filter-I used caf1807p. $10 at autozone
razor blade
1/4 in foam poster board, found at walmart
black sharpie.

First off start by opening the hood. Pull the plastic caps off the nuts that hold the wiper arms on. Take your 14mm socket and ratch and take the nuts off. Pull the wiper arms off, may take a little force. Just set the arms on the motor. Pull the 5 push tabs out that hold the cowl on and remove the cowl. Should look something like this.

Then pull the the 3 10mm nuts off this plastic shroud. Its glued on there pretty damn good so be carefull not to break it.

Now you can put the plastic shroud on your foam poster board and trace it inside and out. Cut it out with your razor blade. Doesn't have to be perfect.

Now take your cabin air filter and cut the sides off the filter.

If you use the same filter that I used you probably have enough material to make 3 filters.

Take you filter media and put it over the foam poster board you cut out. I stapled the filter to the cut out and trimmed the edges. You can use glue if you want. That was what I tryed first but after glueing myself to myself a few times I just stapled it.

Now you can take your filter and put it on the car.

And put the plastic shroud back on and tighen the 3 10mm nuts down.

Now put the cowl back on and the wiper arms and your done. I first did this a while back because I was getting so much dust on my dash. Its not perfect but it works. The only problem I ran into is the filter can get wet. Here is the first filter I made. You can see where it got wet.

My next plan is to somehow cover the plastic shroud so water can't get on the filter but still let the air in.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
@sleepy... I told you there were cabin filters.......
Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post

yeah you just have to make them

cool writeup
[ion] C2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
zearchyo
GL Member

zearchyo is on a distinguished road
im not trying to be a butthole or anything, but y is it u didnt clean all that dust/dirt out while u were in there already? All that mess is going to go right back into ur custom made filter. Good write up though

yeah right!
zearchyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
And the reason why I would even want one of these is???
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
I actually thought about this same idea about a year ago when I was cleaning under the plastic in that area. The only reason I didn't do it is the water problem.

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
And the reason why I would even want one of these is???

So you can breathe filtered air while you drive, and then the moment you get out of your car, you breathe unfiltered air again.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

its all fake.

nice one rusty
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
This might be a good idea to use the arm n hammer filter on

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
when i turn on my (hot)A/C or heat i get my eyes shot with shrapnel for the first 30 seconds or so its on.... I would assume this would fit it..
Old 05-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zearchyo View Post
im not trying to be a butthole or anything, but y is it u didnt clean all that dust/dirt out while u were in there already? All that mess is going to go right back into ur custom made filter. Good write up though

That is 10 years worth of stuck on shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
So you can breathe filtered air while you drive, and then the moment you get out of your car, you breathe unfiltered air again.

If you would have read the part where I said I did this because I was getting so much dust on my dash, nothing about breathing filtered air. But it is nice breathing filtered air.

Quote:
when i turn on my (hot)A/C or heat i get my eyes shot with shrapnel for the first 30 seconds or so its on.... I would assume this would fit it..

Yep
Old 05-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
If you would have read the part where I said I did this because I was getting so much dust on my dash, nothing about breathing filtered air. But it is nice breathing filtered air.
I gave the secondary reason for doing this since you already covered the first.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Quote:
I gave the secondary reason for doing this since you already covered the first.

Lol i see. sweet ass smiley!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #14
[ion] C2
636 whp

I want to put that sticker on my power steering pump. I got the idea off of this guy at a j-body meet this weekend:

Old 05-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
happyisthealero
GL Member

happyisthealero is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
My next plan is to somehow cover the plastic shroud so water can't get on the filter but still let the air in.

silk screen material maybe?
happyisthealero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #16
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
cool idea, and write up.
  1. Another reason to do it, is allergies. You filter out the pollen - good for not sneezing while driving
  2. you would increase the capabilities of the filter extremely if you would leave it folded up like it came from the package. That is having this zickzack pattern is a real good thing. It increased the area tremendously, for examples look at air filter, fuel filters, oil filters and so on.
  3. but this would mean that you have to sandwich the filter material somehow under the shroud, thus raising the shroud.
  4. How much space is left between shroud and cowl tray (or what ever its called)
  5. you could fab up a piece of metal / fiberglass or what ever and build little shield over the opening, leaving the underside / side down / front open, so air can enter. This would probably keep water out, as long as the air isn't being sucked in. the drawback is, that probably the noise of the blower is increased as you can probably hear the air being sucked it, by the "funnel" you build by fabbing up a water shield.

As you have the mounting pattern, wouldn't it be possible to go look for a already complete cabin filter from another car that would be made to fit?
This approach would be easier for me that only has the opportunity to shop online and most of the time has to select a special car to order parts for (e.g. RockAuto)
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Quote:
I want to put that sticker on my power steering pump. I got the idea off of this guy at a j-body meet this weekend:

That looks sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyisthealero View Post
silk screen material maybe?

Maybe. I'm not to worried about it right now. It never rains here and when I wash the car I will just try not to spray that area too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy View Post
cool idea, and write up.
  1. Another reason to do it, is allergies. You filter out the pollen - good for not sneezing while driving
  2. you would increase the capabilities of the filter extremely if you would leave it folded up like it came from the package. That is having this zickzack pattern is a real good thing. It increased the area tremendously, for examples look at air filter, fuel filters, oil filters and so on.
  3. but this would mean that you have to sandwich the filter material somehow under the shroud, thus raising the shroud.
  4. How much space is left between shroud and cowl tray (or what ever its called)
  5. you could fab up a piece of metal / fiberglass or what ever and build little shield over the opening, leaving the underside / side down / front open, so air can enter. This would probably keep water out, as long as the air isn't being sucked in. the drawback is, that probably the noise of the blower is increased as you can probably hear the air being sucked it, by the "funnel" you build by fabbing up a water shield.
As you have the mounting pattern, wouldn't it be possible to go look for a already complete cabin filter from another car that would be made to fit?
This approach would be easier for me that only has the opportunity to shop online and most of the time has to select a special car to order parts for (e.g. RockAuto)

My plan was to use the filter how it came but this was just easyier at the time.

Not sure how much room there is, probably 2-3 inches. I was thinking of making a tray over the hole that a filter could just sit in and have a cover over the filter to repel the water. Just need more time to mess with it.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
anything new?
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #19
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

No, I haven't done anything to the car for a while, been to busy with work.