Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 09-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
wadedog
GX Member

wadedog is on a distinguished road
Angry rear parking brake problem

2000 alero, just changed front rotors and pads, drivers side rear rotor and pads no problem but the passenger rear rotor won't go on and I moved the parking brake shoe more center and got the rotor on but is was hard and then once on it wouldn't rotate so I had to work it off and the shoe came of the top wheel cylinder posts and now I can't get it back in place either.

How does it go back on the cylinder and how do I make the shoe smaller so the rotor will slide on.

HELP !
wadedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
use a clamp to push the piston back into the caliper. open the cap on brake fluid.

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
The parking brake shoe slides over the part that looks like a wheel cylinder. You have to push the ends in on the part where the shoe slides over. You can adjust it by turning the round thing that has the small teeth on it. Hope that helps. Its hard to explain it.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
wadedog
GX Member

It's not the caliper piston thats the problem it's that the parking brake shoe thats inside the rotor ( top hat drum rotor ) won't go back onto the cylinder ends, like it needs spread or that the ends need to go in the wheel cylinder further , I tried rotating the one end with the adjusting wheel but noting happened, i even had it out and it is attached to the end and just slips into the cylinder, doesn't seem to have threads in the cylinder?

what do I do ?
Old 09-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
wadedog
GX Member

Red face fixed

Ok feel kinda stupid but I took a break and went back to it and fiddled around with it and removed the spring for the parking break and pushed the cylinder ends together and then put the brake shoe back on and the rotor slid right on easy as could be. hooked the spring back up and all is good.

Hope this might help others . thanks for your reply's guys.