Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
P0741 code tripped tonight

P0741: TCCS stuck OFF

Well, I tripped this code tonight, then I had to floor it pulling out into traffic and the car stumbled and almost came to a complete stop, engine stalled, but started right back up. Kinda like a quick hic-up.

Looked up the solenoid and how to replace it. Way too over my head to repair. Looked up some people saying it was a $400-$800 fix, others $1850 to $2600 fix.

My mech said a Jasper Transmission will be $2900. with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty, but that was about 2 years ago. He told me a solenoid was reading eratic then. My tranny is rebuilt, but I think a lot of parts were reused. Car has 142,888 miles on it right now, as it sits in my driveway.

If I need a new tranny, I'm going with the 4T45 from a GAGT with the 3.29 FDR

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Put an F40 in it, call it a day.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #3
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Put an F40 in it, call it a day.

Not everyone has over $4000 to spend on doing it or wants to wait over 6 months for it to be done

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem and had mine replaced with a 4T45. That was about 2 years ago and it is still going strong. I have noticed that it has started to shift a little more firm lately. Probably needs a flush. It also improved my mileage! I get 30 mpg highway now! The last time I made my Tennessee trip, I did the math and it came out with 29.6 mpg. I think you will be happy with it!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
Not everyone has over $4000 to spend on doing it or wants to wait over 6 months for it to be done

Yeah, we'l you gotta understand he's also really busy, and me and Matt's car were the first aleros he's ever done the swap in... So we are like guinea pigs.

It was honestly worth the wait, even though it was frustrating. But that was 6 months the car wasn't getting miles put on it.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Yeah, we'l you gotta understand he's also really busy, and me and Matt's car were the first aleros he's ever done the swap in... So we are like guinea pigs.

It was honestly worth the wait, even though it was frustrating. But that was 6 months the car wasn't getting miles put on it.

And you gotta understand he's got a kid and probably rent to pay. So saving money when he can is much more vital than someone like you or I.

The fact still remains that Ken has shown more interest in the 4T45 and other autos when it comes to Redog. Plus 6 months of not driving you car and not putting mileage on it isn't a valid arguement if it's your DD... That's what a DD is for.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:47 AM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Well I've been doing a lot of research and I'm not sure if I'm understanding something right.

I'm more than likely going to do a tranny swap. Going to dump the 4T45 with the 3.05 FDR and in place going to do a 4T45 with the 3.29 FDR. Could go with a 3.63, but I don't know if I want that much top gear in my car.

I read this:

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...3+transmission

I read that the 2003 Tranny is better, but do it require different programing? I thought it did, but after reread this, I don't think it does.

I'm going to buy a used tranny. I'm seeing a lot with 60,000 and less, for around $350

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 12-17-2012, 03:50 AM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Quote:

Nate, if you want to hand me the $4000, I'll do it

Quote:
And you gotta understand he's got a kid and probably rent to pay. So saving money when he can is much more vital than someone like you or I.

The fact still remains that Ken has shown more interest in the 4T45 and other autos when it comes to Redog. Plus 6 months of not driving you car and not putting mileage on it isn't a valid arguement if it's your DD... That's what a DD is for.

Yes, I have a kid, a mortgage, and paying child support (which is more than my mortgage ) so Ihave to do this as cost effect as possible. I've seen GAGT's with less mods, run in the low 14's so I think swapping in a 3.29 FDR can easily shave 1/2 second off my 1/4 mile time, maybe 13's. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but the 3.29 will match my new cam nicely, when the motor is rebuilt

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 12-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:

Yes I understand. My car is a DD. BUT it doesn't get used as one. When it rains or snows, I have no car. I refuse to take it out in nothing but cloudy/sunny days unless I REALLY have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Nate, if you want to hand me the $4000, I'll do it

Yes, I have a kid, a mortgage, and paying child support (which is more than my mortgage ) so Ihave to do this as cost effect as possible. I've seen GAGT's with less mods, run in the low 14's so I think swapping in a 3.29 FDR can easily shave 1/2 second off my 1/4 mile time, maybe 13's. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but the 3.29 will match my new cam nicely, when the motor is rebuilt

Hey if I was rich, I would gladly support the cause for an F40.

I know you got a kid and all, you are also an awesome father from what I see. Adam is a lucky little man to have you Ken!

Aside from the transmission, the 03+ is better from what I know. But I doubt it would need much changing, if any.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

This is what i've read about the 03+ trannys, I hope it helps:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showt...ht=2003+tranny

And

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showt...ht=2003+tranny

Old 12-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
Redog
Aleromod part owner

^^ Thanks for that info!!

I got in touch with my mech today. He that he didn't want to get my hopes up, but they have changed that solenoid in GM FWD cars before. He said that it's very labor intensive but quoted me $550 for labor to do the job.

I told him about the Grand Am GT tranny, and that I found one used, from a 2003. Actually I found a few. All going for $325. One with 21,000 miles, one with 24,000 miles, two with 46,000 miles, and one with 66,000 miles all at the same place, 2 miles from my house

He said "book" time on R&R of the tranny is 16 hours, so that's $1200, plus the cost of the tranny at $325 (and I'll probably pick up a new convertor as well) He did say that 16 hours was a little much, and he could probably do better than that.

I get the verdict on the tranny tomorrow morning at 10 am. He's going to hook his GM Tech up to it.

Other than hooking up HPTuners and changing the FDR to a 3.29 from a 3.05, what else is there? Should be straight forward then, correct?

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 12-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
sleepyalero
GLS member

Should be pretty straight forward.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
From watching my neighbour work in his garage with jack stands and a 20tonnes jack he has done tranny swaps in a night... less than 6 hrs... maybe 16 if he yas to completely disassemble and rebuild it but not a straight swap... that's really excessive!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
We have done honda full motor swaps in like 4 hours with 2 people. I call bs as well on 16 hours he coupd have it done in 8
Old 12-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
We have done honda full motor swaps in like 4 hours with 2 people. I call bs as well on 16 hours he coupd have it done in 8

not if step#1 is "drop the subframe", you're not. I've done it with a lot of help, then you've still got an old tranny to dispose of.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
My tranny is rebuilt, but I think a lot of parts were reused.

Which is why I repair my own transmissions! For the most part, "rebuilt" transmissions are steam cleaned repaired transmissions that they grossly overcharged you for.

For what they want for a rebuilt transmission, that should be enough of a motivation to replace the solenoid yourself.

Exactly what's so hard about changing a solenoid on this transmission anyway?

From what I can tell, can't you just ignore the code and drive the car until you figure out what you want to do?

Page 7-87 of my 1999 Volume 2 of 2 service manual says:

1. Was the Powertrain On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check Performed? If not do it.

2. Was the Transmission Fluid Checking Procedure performed?

Step 3 says to clear the code, then drive the vehicle and use the scan tool to command the TCC PWM solenoid valve on, and monitor the TCC slip speed. If no go to step 4. If yes then go to "Diagnostic Aids".

4. Inspect the following:
The TCC PWM solenoid valve O ring for leaks or cuts.
The TCC PWM solenoid valve for filter being clogged.

Too much more to type in, but I happen to have this exact problem on my Escort and I get an open circuit at the transmission for a solenoid, and I drive the car anyway, and have so for months with nothing bad happening. When spring comes I am going to remove the transmission crossmember, the transmission pan, transmission valve body, all to replace a solenoid on top of the valve body. On the Alero the solenoids look accessible by removing a side panel (called Side Cover in the factory service manual) that is on the opposite side of the transmission from the torque converter. Having said that, I have no idea what might be getting in the way, but expect to pull an axle. There is 268 pages on the transmission and right now I can not read them all, or otherwise do not see the instructions on how to do that.

Page 7-223 goes in detail about the solenoid

Last edited by zzyzzx : 12-17-2012 at 07:52 PM.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #17
Redog
Aleromod part owner

I'm not having the transmission rebuilt. I found 7 2003 Pontaic GAGT trannys at my local auto recycler place. One has 21,000 miles, and another had 24,000. Both are $300.

The $1200 is for the 16 hours of labor involved to swap the transmission. My mech said himself that it will NOT take him that long to do it.

The tranny in my car was rebuilt, back 78,000 miles ago. I got around 65,000 miles out of the stock one, so I don't think that was too bad. My old mech rebuilt it himself, but I think he just recased it and put in new clutches.

Car has 142,9xx on it right now.

The SES came on Saturday night. I cleared it and it came back on yesterday after about 15 miles. Cleared it and drove to work today, 2 miles, and going to the mech tomorrow for him to check it out, so please inform me how I'm waiting

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 12-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #18
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
wow man....you beat the shit out of your trannys. I put 145k on my last one with pretty much no issues besides a little slippage. You need to stop dumping money into newer stock trannys and get a rebuilt/upgraded one. About 2,500-3k will get you that and prob last a hell of a lot longer if properly broken in and maintained. (with your driving habits)
Old 12-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The tranny in my car was rebuilt, back 78,000 miles ago. I got around 65,000 miles out of the stock one, so I don't think that was too bad.

My 1995 Escort has over 210,000 miles on it's original automatic transmission.

From what I can tell, for all I know you might really only need a solenoid, solenoid O ring, or have a partially clogged screen inside your transmission.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Went to the shop today:

On the way there, the car was acting a bit weird, going from 1st to 2nd, and still doing the "hunting" going into overdrive

My mech said he felt the overdrive thing, but it's slipping going into second. He's not 100% sure that the solenoid will completely fix the issue. Hw suggested doing the swap, but left it up to me.

Called the yard.

2003 Grand Am GT tranny, 21,000 miles, $250 plus tax. They are testing it now.

Car has been progressivlly worse. It's getting parked today. glad I have 2 cars

www.facebook.com/kb0177