Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 12-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Techonrye
GX Member

Techonrye is on a distinguished road
Need to Id part

So here is my Christmas story. I was about 95 miles form home today and car was running great and out of no where it died. I was accelerating when it happened I say I was going about 50ish. I tried to restart while still rolling but it was a no go. I pulled off and still not starting it was turning over but not starting. I was guessing fuel was cut off. After awhile it did start I had a SVS lights and a no trac light. I finished the last few miles of my trip. After parking it I started it again. This time none of the previously mentioned lights came on.

The only thing I saw that was not right was a rubber tube on what I believe is my fuel line that was sucked in on itself. I did my family Christmas and checked it again it had cooled and the tube returned to normal. It started with no issue and made it all 100 miles home without a problem.

Can anyone tell me what the U shaped rubber tube in the center of this pic is? That is the tube that was sucked in on itself.
This is a 02 Alero with a 3400

Old 12-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
jawa
Powered by LX9

jawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to jawa
its for the evap system its just a vacume line pretty much

jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
yeah it looks like thats the evap purge valve. that could cause poor running in some cases if your having issues with it.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Techonrye
GX Member

One thing is for sure. I don't know my engine well enough. I'm working on that. Now I get the fun of trying to figure out why the random cut out for no reason. Guess I'll start by changing the fuel filter out of spite. Need to do it anyways. My fuel Econ is not that hot. I am only getting about 20 per gallon if that.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
walkerj014
GX Member

walkerj014 is on a distinguished road
I got a 2.4L but this hose gave me the same issue a while back I think its the same hose. Link to the thread:http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35117
Old 12-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
The hose in the picture? If it's like on a 3.1 in a Malibu, that's part of the vacuum feed to the PCV valve, and one I had to replace this past year.

If you'll go to this image from the GM Parts Giant website, see call outs 574 and 576? I think you're pointing to 576, but it came for my 3.1 with 574. And the grommet where it fits into the upper intake was what was bad on my Malibu.

That's the curved hose at that location by the EGR valve, anyway.

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
20 a gallon. Is this city driving?

My car something like that, and it was the igntion lock cyl. Changed it, no problems since, that was about 5 years ago

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #8
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
That is for the EVAP. My alero did the same thing, and 6 Grand Ams I have worked on have done it as well. VERY common problem! Go to a parts store, get three inches of vacuum hose, problem solved! Mine hasn't done it since (fix was done 2 years ago)
Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
Techonrye
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
20 a gallon. Is this city driving?

My car something like that, and it was the igntion lock cyl. Changed it, no problems since, that was about 5 years ago

That is a mix of city and interstate. I'd say about half/half