Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 08-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation fuel delivery question.

Okay I dont need the talk saying I shouldn't be going this fast blah blah blah. Just give me insight. I dont care to here im breaking the law and other crap.

Anyway, heres the story.

So lets say my gas gauge is showing between 1/4 tank and half. I have a walbro fuel pump as well. But anyway. Say doing 45 mph, im in second gear. Around 5000 rpm. I floor it, grab third, 4th etc.... well at about 110 mph. The car bogs down real bad and loses its power.

Now if the gas gauge shows me a 1/4 tank or less it will bog a little after 80 mph. Now add 20 bucks in gas (5.5 gallons) shoots me up over 3/4 tank, car will keep its power to 130+mph. Basically over half a tank car runs fine. Under half, depending how much, the earliest it bogs is 80mph.

So whats the deal here? I run 89 octane right now, (mid grade) do I need to shoot up to premium and do a little re tune to compensate for the new fuel? MMGT1 tuned the car, he did an awesome job. Its a strong car. The fuel pump is basically new, like 3 months old or so. Everything is wired correctly. No weird noises from pump, is it just the way the tank and fuel.pump is? The way I see it the tank isnt very big (height wise) so im thinking that at a certain point deoending on how many gallons in the tank, the fuel is being pushed to the back of the tank, and the pump is towards the front of the tank. So is the fuel being dragged to the back and somewhat starving the pump? But once near full or a little under the pump is being basically fully submerged so it doesnt starve it.....

Do I need to think about bigger injectors? Im at a loss really once im under half a tank of gas. Any input would be great.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:07 AM   #2
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think you are making enough power to drain the pump canister, even if that is what the symptoms indicate. You can screw up your engine very easily if that's the case. I'd say scan it when it acts up and we'll look at it, except the engine could get damaged in the process.

It's all-important to monitor fuel pressure and AFR at this point. You did not have this issue when you ran it at the track, so it could be due to the new pump. All the Walbros I've used have a high pitched characteristic sound, which gets more pronounced when the pump is stressed. Heat-soaking combined with low fuel level in the tank, then accelerating can stress it. What are the specifics of the pump installation, such as wiring upgraded, venturi line provision, fuel pressure gauge, etc.? Then of course scanning for KR and misfires for each cyl, injector duty cycle, AFR,while watching fuel pressure closely....Also, what is the Walbro part# on the pump itself?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
ya what's your injector duty cycle
if i don't run out with the stock pump, you shouldn't
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I think I did a scan awhile back for it with this symptom. Ill have to look after work.

I dont have a fuel pressure gauge right now, and my AFR doesnt seem wacky when it happens.

I did not have the issue at the track, I was running stock fuel pump back then.

I wanna say I have stock wiring with connectors on the end for it wired up. No butt connectors. Just a connection at end of wires. And everything is clean and hooked up correctly.

Idk the part # ill have to look around. Milzy offers it on his site.

I need a fuel pressure gauge

The pump was included with a new clear hose that connects to the pump and the line I believe. I did the install myself. But cant remember clearly how everything went without looking at it. I just know everything was done ok.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
if it was me, id duplicate the concern with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the fuel rail and tapped to the windshield. basic but will tell you if that is your problem without a doubt. borrow one if you have to.

oh and make sure to try it with the same amount of fuel. hard to belive but maybe starving the pump with that kind of prolonged acceleration?
Old 08-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

Yeah ill get one soon and see what I can do.

May just get myself an aftermarket fuel pressure gauge to run in car.

Seems like that will be a useful gauge to have at all times.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
mfuller

I would look into running an upgraded wiring harness.
A high volume pump like the Walbro draws more current and can reveal the limitations of factory wiring. This is pretty well documented on LS forums.
You likely do not need the upgraded pump, but now that you have it, you've found the next weak link in the system.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
sleepyalero
GLS member

I would have to upgrade the wiring myself since im sure there isnt a upgraded wiring harness for our cars/fuel pumps
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
mfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I would have to upgrade the wiring myself since im sure there isnt a upgraded wiring harness for our cars/fuel pumps
I think Racetronix makes an LS-based harness that is just about plug-and-play.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #10
sleepyalero
GLS member

I'll look into that later. Thanks pal!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
Garnetdawn
GX Member

Garnetdawn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Garnetdawn
Thumbs up

I would say bigger injectors mainly do to the fact 19lbs injector suckass and at the higher speed the injectors cant deliver enough fuel when the tank is near empty compared to a fuller tank....Ive also noticed mine being mainly stock tends to feel more sluggish and slower accel when the tank gets around 1/4 tank...I would say fuel pump PSI but saying how you have the power at a fuller tank. last thing you could do is trial and error with a bigger injector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Okay I dont need the talk saying I shouldn't be going this fast blah blah blah. Just give me insight. I dont care to here im breaking the law and other crap.

Anyway, heres the story.

So lets say my gas gauge is showing between 1/4 tank and half. I have a walbro fuel pump as well. But anyway. Say doing 45 mph, im in second gear. Around 5000 rpm. I floor it, grab third, 4th etc.... well at about 110 mph. The car bogs down real bad and loses its power.

Now if the gas gauge shows me a 1/4 tank or less it will bog a little after 80 mph. Now add 20 bucks in gas (5.5 gallons) shoots me up over 3/4 tank, car will keep its power to 130+mph. Basically over half a tank car runs fine. Under half, depending how much, the earliest it bogs is 80mph.

So whats the deal here? I run 89 octane right now, (mid grade) do I need to shoot up to premium and do a little re tune to compensate for the new fuel? MMGT1 tuned the car, he did an awesome job. Its a strong car. The fuel pump is basically new, like 3 months old or so. Everything is wired correctly. No weird noises from pump, is it just the way the tank and fuel.pump is? The way I see it the tank isnt very big (height wise) so im thinking that at a certain point deoending on how many gallons in the tank, the fuel is being pushed to the back of the tank, and the pump is towards the front of the tank. So is the fuel being dragged to the back and somewhat starving the pump? But once near full or a little under the pump is being basically fully submerged so it doesnt starve it.....

Do I need to think about bigger injectors? Im at a loss really once im under half a tank of gas. Any input would be great.
Garnetdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #12
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnetdawn View Post
I would say bigger injectors mainly do to the fact 19lbs injector suckass and at the higher speed the injectors cant deliver enough fuel when the tank is near empty compared to a fuller tank....Ive also noticed mine being mainly stock tends to feel more sluggish and slower accel when the tank gets around 1/4 tank...I would say fuel pump PSI but saying how you have the power at a fuller tank. last thing you could do is trial and error with a bigger injector.

In your case, sounds like a clogged fuel filter

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #13
sleepyalero
GLS member

I dont think bigger injectors will help. Im not maxing out my stock ones yet.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #14
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Did you change both the screens in and under the pump housing?

How was the venturi tube line connected to the Walbro?
Old 08-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #15
sleepyalero
GLS member

Changed all screens but the sack on the side.

Tube is hooked up correctly and shouldnt cause kinks.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote: