Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-07-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
irondiezl3
GLS member

irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road
c pillar in rear help with cutting

i have some tweeters that need some more room to fall flush my questions is before i cut the hole out of the metal behind the pillar is it going to cut to the outside or is our cars 2 pieces put together? i just want to make sure before i cut out the circle that it will only go through one side.
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
pop it off to cut it.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
irondiezl3
GLS member

irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road
yea i have the pillar cut already now i gotts cut the circle out of the metal part behind the pillar just want to make sure it wont go to the outside if i do so meaning is there 2 layers of metal.
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
i dont know why you would start cutting pillars to fit tweeters...

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
i dont know why you would start cutting pillars to fit tweeters...

This. They're only tweeters. Just doesn't seem like a good idea. You'd be better off cutting up the tweeter trim piece to get them to fit. Even if they would stick out a bit more, at least you didn't have to cut into a structural pillar just to fit a tweeter.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Add a couple layers of fiberglass on the front of the pillar and make a small pod to give you the rear clearance you need...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
DRM Racing
GX Member

DRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond repute
there should be no need at all to cut your Pillar. In all my years of being a certified audio installer have I ever had to cut into a pillar to mount a tweeter. Do you not have the factory tweeter pods on the doors above the door panel?
DRM Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM Racing View Post
there should be no need at all to cut your Pillar. In all my years of being a certified audio installer have I ever had to cut into a pillar to mount a tweeter. Do you not have the factory tweeter pods on the doors above the door panel?

hes putting tweeters in the pillars that run along the rear windshield. not in front.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:03 AM   #9
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by irondiezl3 View Post
yea i have the pillar cut already now i gotts cut the circle out of the metal part behind the pillar just want to make sure it wont go to the outside if i do so meaning is there 2 layers of metal.

Well, First of all i agree with others in that you shouldn't need to cut any metal to fit a speaker (with the exp of the occasional door or rear shelf set-up) and that if you are running components in the rear mounting the tweet facing up at the glass will give you more then enough imaging for what a rear stage needs usually...
HOWEVER if you need to have flush-rear mounted forward facing tweeters, with the pillar plastic removed you should be able to identify the inner metal support of the roof (this has holes and such in it, like where the clips for the plastic fit into) and if you stick your finger thru one of these holes, and don't get it stuck meow... you should be able to feel the smooth outer layer...
don't cut/heat the outer sheet metal or you will require bodywork to repair your mistake.

Oh and Btw if you have family friends or loved ones that travel with you.. and you cut some of this structural tin out.. and you roll your car and the roof buckles/fails your insurance company/law enforcement will site you for negligence. food for thought.

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #10
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
I agree. So what if they are not completely flush. You should NEVER cut into framework on a vehicle. You're just asking for trouble. Think of it this way, my father always told me; "engineers get paid a lot more than you do to figure out why that metal should be there. Don't argue with them"