Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 04-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Lowered

Rolling on Intrax springs and gr2 struts. Finally got the shot suspension replaced, it was just as bad as I thought. Mount on the front drivers side dropped balls on me as I was taking it out and I honestly dont think it got any lower because of how much sag it already had. Going from toast to this is night and day. Turns better, rides awesome-nice n stiff. No more bobble head crap when I shift. Very pleased. oh, and it looks good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0412151400.jpg (39.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 0412151401.jpg (44.0 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg 0412151613.jpg (35.6 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 0412151613a.jpg (41.0 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 0412151613b.jpg (40.3 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 0412151613c.jpg (39.1 KB, 148 views)
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Some day I will have time and will get my lowering stuff put on, and it needs to happen soon because the ride is getting pretty rough though that can be expected being as it is the original struts with 197k miles. My rotors are also getting a little thin being originals as well. I need to do it before I get new tires so they don't start the same wear issue the current ones have, and I bet the tires last another month if I am lucky before being to unsafe to drive with. The struts and rotors are still riding around in my trunk waiting for life to slow down a little bit. I put the sway bars on a safe shelf until I decide if I am replacing my Alero with another at the end of the summer/beginning of fall, or if I am going to say screw it and put some money into it since the title fiasco is finally sorted out after 4 years. I really want to see what it feels like with them on, but it sounds like enough of a PITA of a job, I would prefer not do it twice in close succession if I don't have to.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:12 AM   #3
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

You can kinda see in the pics the front tires are super bald. I had been putting it off for a while because of how bad the suspension was. The alero will be parked soon but im taking my time finding a new car so it needed to be safe in the mean time, and I want to take it to homecoming so I figured I might as well get it done. Stryder had been holding onto it all for me anyway, should have got it done before winter. My funny brake sound it gone, new mounts dont pop and crack, its still out of alignment but not stupid pulling left like it was, and the ass end stays strait over bumps. I'm at 207xxx and it wasnt factory stuff I pulled out, I can imagine yours is probably pretty toasted unless its just always been on smooth road.. but still, thats a ton of miles for those parts.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:18 AM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Just need wheels and the drop will look better.

Make sure you get an alignment!

I had like 185k on stock parts before i dropped the car. Lol now they are on ryans new alero lmao
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:30 AM   #5
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Just need wheels and the drop will look better.

Make sure you get an alignment!

I had like 185k on stock parts before i dropped the car. Lol now they are on ryans new alero lmao

Scheduling for new tires and alignment tomorrow before I have to go to Indy again on the 20th. It does need wheels but those and everything else has to wait until baby stuff it taken care of. I'm glad I got it done before getting wheels though, without any rake I may consider an inch bigger rim a little thicker tire of the back. It's just on the edge of the to low in the back look. I'll let you know about that sway bar, I'm going to see if my one local yard has one when I take the old suspension by tomorrow/today. Should see if it's bent or not for me It hardly has any body roll now but I still want to get one on it...
Old 04-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
Glad to see you got them installed. It looks good!

As far as wheels and tires go ... I ran 18x8 wheels with 225/40-18 tires with that suspension setup. Perfect fit and only minor deviation on speedo.
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
Looking better man! I agree with sleepy on the wheels though. I'd get a set of used tires for now to save some cash and maybe be able to get a decent set of used wheels and tires on Craigslist or something?
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #8
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

I've looked around a bit there weren't really any options. Once the new car is got and the alero is parked I'll be done with hardees and out making money with my degree so the alero will just sit with money being dumped into it. Once it's ready to roll again, I'll get something nice for it. The body hopefully be fixed up to pull them off at that point as well. I went ahead and had them order in some pretty nice tires, it still has to get me to Indy and back a few more times, homecoming this year, and traveling to look at new cars.. vacation if not a new one by then. Still a lotta miles to go before it's overhaul.
AND My rear passenger side is still making an awful high pitched squeek with every bump. I was sure it was the old strut but obviously not, I didnt see anything that looked when I was in there. Ideas? I'm thinking maybe a bushing somewhere, would the sway bar do it?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #9
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
I'm assuming you have checked to make sure all the bolts/nuts are torqued ...

If you have a rear sway bar, then I'd say check the bushings/end links. If you have a rear strut tower bar, check the adjustment jam nut(s) and the bolts/nuts that attach it to the strut towers.

Never had this problem when those struts where in my car so pretty sure you can rule them out as the cause.

Edit: Another thought ... have you checked your exhaust hangers/bushings for breaks/cracks?
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #10
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

I'm pretty confident it's not the exhaust or tower bar. I know its not the struts or springs cause its exactly the same sound as with the old ones on. I dont know about everything torqued exactly to spec but there is nothing loose.
It's defiantly something outside/under the car that moves with any spring the suspension on that rear side takes. The rear sway bar is on there, I'll start there next time i have time to look at it.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #11
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
So with the struts assembled, do you think I could go over to orielly's, borrow a real jack (I only have the scissor jack in my trunk in hays), and change them in the parking lot real quick that way I am near the parts if I were to break something?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, you could. I changed all 4 strut assemblies in 25 mins when i lowered my car (was in a huge rush to get to dealer for alignment before they closed) but shouldnt take you longer then an hour, the front ones are the easiest.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #13
03glgold
GLS member

I could see where the fronts would be easier. On the rears is it best to drop the top first so you have control when it comes free?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #14
sleepyalero
GLS member

Doesnt really matter what way you go for it to come out, the rears are just a bigger PITA to line the strut up to the knuckle. (If bolted to top first) i never did bottom to top, was top to bottom on my install.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #15
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

oh ya, with them assembled a quick strut I got the front done in under 45 min, very easy. The rear isnt bad, I'd recommended an extra hand around to help with holding the knuckle down to get the strut in/out and line things up going back on. I did the bottom bolt first on the rear, then the top one pretty well slid in with the help of a socket extension. I also highly recommend a bar clamp to hold it together while you get the bolts in. You can have in done in under 2 hours no problem just working a relaxed pace. having the pre-assembled units is most defiantly the way to go.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:30 PM   #16
03glgold
GLS member

That ended up being a bit of a bitch. Started at 6 and just got done. I was by myself though and some of the stuff wanted to act like it had been there for 12 years or something. The front didnt take long. The big time killer was the back drivers side. Took an easy hour and a half because the bolts didnt want to come out for anything. It is done though which is the important thing. Rear isnt any lower really due to the age of the old stuff. The front is noticable though.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:32 PM   #17
sleepyalero
GLS member

Good!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #18
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
That ended up being a bit of a bitch. Started at 6 and just got done. I was by myself though and some of the stuff wanted to act like it had been there for 12 years or something. The front didnt take long. The big time killer was the back drivers side. Took an easy hour and a half because the bolts didnt want to come out for anything. It is done though which is the important thing. Rear isnt any lower really due to the age of the old stuff. The front is noticable though.

Glad you got it! opposite of mine though, my front stayed about the same, ass end got lower. lol.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #19
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Well, I got the new tires. Couldn't align because of how far out everything was. Just ordered $104 worth of crap. Camber bolts, lateral link, control arm bushings, sway bar mount/bushings, windshield wipers, so on.. Would have been into it another couple hundred at a parts store, RockAuto for the win again!
Old 04-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #20
03glgold
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
Well, I got the new tires. Couldn't align because of how far out everything was. Just ordered $104 worth of crap. Camber bolts, lateral link, control arm bushings, sway bar mount/bushings, windshield wipers, so on.. Would have been into it another couple hundred at a parts store, RockAuto for the win again!

Hopefully you can get it all fixed up. I was a little nervous I would have similar issues with the mileage, but mine aligned fine. Here is a picture right after I had done it. She is filthy, but I can take a picture and post it tomorrow after I get new tires and give her a bath. I will post it in the what I did today thread though and stop using your thread.