Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-30-2004, 01:57 AM   #1
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
hey i just realized, when i removed my airbox and slapped o nthe WAI, i didnt take out that tube that the airbox was connected to. i noticed on someones car they pulled theres out, and its a long bending plastic tube. i never took mine out. was i supposed to? does it make a difference if i do or dont? and how do i do it, i know i just can pull on it and it comes out.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:03 AM   #2
SouthDakotAlero
GL Member

SouthDakotAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
You only have to remove the tubing if you plan on putting on a cold air intake. Otherwise it's not hurting anything to leave it on there. That way it's still there if you put you stock airbox back on.
SouthDakotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:42 AM   #3
flalero

Pulling off that tubing is also a better way of getting more air to your stock airbox. I removed mine before I put on my CAI.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:17 PM   #4
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
how do you remove it?
Old 11-30-2004, 01:24 PM   #5
flalero

Let's see, how did I do it? I removed the headlight to get access to the bolts that hold it in place. I removed the bolts, and then just pulled the tube off of the airbox. Then I had to wiggle it out through the headlight hole. It's easier if you have the inner fenderwell off.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:28 PM   #6
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
Go to N-body.net...
Tech
1999-2003 models
Perfomance
Intake Resonator Removal - Grand Am/Alero
there's some pictures and stuff, but just incase, the directions are below.
AS for the plastic retainers that they suggest you buy...I didn't break a single one. This whole process took me maybe 15 minutes tops...

Well here's the instructions

Preface
Note that this mod is only necessary if you plan to install a Cold Air Intake (CAI). This mod will not give you any noteworthy performance gains. Thanks to Paul Heindselman for the picture.

Go to your local GM dealer, and purchase (5) plastic retainers, Part #10121502. Chances are they'll be a stock item, and cost only $2.00CDN for all of them. This will save you a lot of time and aggravation, and will hold the wheel well cover on better after reinstallation.
Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. This will not only prevent an accident (unlikely, but possible), but it will allow your ECU to reset, so it can learn the new Air/Fuel maps to allow you to get the most from this mod.
Remove the plastic shroud that goes across between the headlights. On GT models, this shroud has "RAM AIR" stamped on it. This shroud is easily removed by prying the 9 retaining plugs off (simply pry the middle part up, then remove the entire thing). Note that 4 of the retaining plugs are larger than the rest - these 4 are the ones that go into the front fascia.
Remove the driver's side headlight. This can be tricky if you've never removed it before. With a pair of vice grips, grasp the black metal tab, angle it toward the engine, and gently pull straight up. Repeat this procedure for the second metal tab. Once you have lifted both tabs, pull the headlight assembly straight out, and set it on the battery.
If you look in where the headlight assembly once was, you'll see the top opening of the intake resonator. Its about 3" long by 1.5" wide, and is somewhat half-moon shaped. You will see a 10mm bolt next to it, that bolt must be removed. I used a screwdriver-type socket (10mm).
Next, jack up the drivers front of the vehicle, and remove the wheel. Remember to set the parking brake.
Using your utility knife, cut off the (3) plastic retainers that attach the plastic wheel well cover to the bumper fascia. You can try to remove these, but I just cut them off. You will also have to remove (1) plastic retainer from the very back of the wheel well, at the bottom.
Next, remove the (1) 10mm bolt from the top of the wheel well. There are (3) 10mm bolts that have to be removed from down underneath, near the front. You must also remove (2) 10mm bolts from the back of the wheel well. The wheel well cover will pretty much fall off at this point, aside for (1) remaining plastic retainer at the top. I was able to leave this installed, and still successfully remove the intake resonator - I just held the wheel well cover out of the way.
Once the wheel well cover is out of the way, if you look in the back left corner of the wheel well, you will see a silver bolt that is about 2" long. You need to remove the 10mm nut from this bolt. Now, remove the intake resonator (wiggle it around a bit - I reached in where the headlight was to work it out), and reinstall the 10mm nut on the 2" bolt. Pull the intake resonator out, and find something creative to do with it!
Reinstall the wheel well cover. Use the new plastic retainers that you purchased at your local dealer. Ensure that the wheel well cover lines up with the upper portion of the cover inside the wheel well. Reinstall the wheel, and lower the car.
Torque the wheel nuts to 100 ft-lbs.
Reinstall the headlight, being careful to realign the adjustment blocks into their tracks. Push the clips back down to secure. Reinstall the plastic shroud, being careful to use the larger retaining plugs along the front edge where the bumper meets the plastic shroud.

Images