Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Caboose73

Will not start

Need help before i throw in the towel and send my ho to the shop.Its a 99 2.4L so friday i took off my intake manifold and TB so i could make room and install my oil sandwhich adapter and oil cooler so i finished everything and put it all back together now the car will crank but wont turn over.Ive replace the ICM,spark plugs,tried the passlock thing were you wait 10mins fuel pump comes on.So ive come here cause im all out of ideas.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
you put the spark plug wires on correctly?
Old 05-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
Caboose73

ya i even switched back to the boots to see if my coils went bad but that didnt work.Another thing is the security light,low oil light and check engine light comes on when i put the key on the on position but when i try to start it everything goes away.Also when i pulled the old spark plugs they had a strong gas smell
Old 05-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Have you checked all the fuses?
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Caboose73

No i didnt even think of that ill check when i get out of work tonight
Old 05-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Alerosaint
Gone but not forgotten

Alerosaint is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alerosaint Send a message via Yahoo to Alerosaint
i have a 2.4L and everytime I had a issue with my car not cranking over with strong fuel smell it was a coil pack issue...mainly me not pluging it in....that was not to terribly informative but I hope it sends ya in the right direction
Old 05-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Ghadsphi is an unknown quantity at this point
Does it sound like you have combustion at all?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

He can crank the engine but can't turn it over. So I'm assuming he means he can grind a normal sound slow start but there's no combustion to turn the engine over and get it started.
That or he's just not firing enough cylinders to turn it over, in which case he would have said so before taking off the intake manifold... although he did try passlock without the blinking light... probably should have disconnected the battery instead...
Ok first question turn key to acces on, turn off your radio! When you turn your key to on before turning it over do you hear your fuel pump? (You need 3 things spark fuel and 02) (You don't need fuel to turn the engine on an Electric Starter).
Old 05-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
Caboose73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
i have a 2.4L and everytime I had a issue with my car not cranking over with strong fuel smell it was a coil pack issue...mainly me not pluging it in....that was not to terribly informative but I hope it sends ya in the right direction

Thats what i thought at first cause i always forget to plug it back in but everything is hooked up like its supposed to be.Also i have the MSD coil swap in for about 2k miles so i dont think the coils died thats why i thought it might be my ICM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghadsphi View Post
Does it sound like you have combustion at all?

No it just cranks and cranks so its either a fuel or spark issue
Old 05-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
Caboose73

Quote:
He can crank the engine but can't turn it over. So I'm assuming he means he can grind a normal sound slow start but there's no combustion to turn the engine over and get it started.
That or he's just not firing enough cylinders to turn it over, in which case he would have said so before taking off the intake manifold... although he did try passlock without the blinking light... probably should have disconnected the battery instead...
Ok first question turn key to acces on, turn off your radio! When you turn your key to on before turning it over do you hear your fuel pump? (You need 3 things spark fuel and 02) (You don't need fuel to turn the engine on an Electric Starter).

I disconted the battery first that didnt work then i tryed the passlock thing that failed to so i went to the spark plugs the the ICM and nothings worked and i can hear the pump going when i put the key to on
Old 05-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

When you turn the key on not over, with the radio off do you hear something that sounds like those radio long silver thingys that are now back scratchers extending for like 1 second. At all?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
Caboose73

Quote:
When you turn the key on not over, with the radio off do you hear something that sounds like those radio long silver thingys that are now back scratchers extending for like 1 second. At all?

ya the pump comes on
Old 05-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
CactusWill
GLS member

Its something electrical thats all there is to it. Those maxi fuses > all
Old 05-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
sounds like a blown fuse, check the PCM fuse, on the 3400s its in the driver fusebox

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #15
Caboose73

Will do thanks for the help i didnt even think of the fuses
Old 05-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #16
cobrajeff92
GX Member

cobrajeff92 is on a distinguished road
if fuses are good try to check your crank sensor. ive had this issue befor. it plugs in next to the coil pack and goes down to the side of engine between trans. unplus the harness at top and bottem and ohm test each wire. this is a common cause of why the 3100 and 3400 wont start
cobrajeff92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #17
CactusWill
GLS member

thats good info
Old 05-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #18
Caboose73

Well new crank sensor is in and all fuses are good and the car still wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajeff92 View Post
if fuses are good try to check your crank sensor. ive had this issue befor. it plugs in next to the coil pack and goes down to the side of engine between trans. unplus the harness at top and bottem and ohm test each wire. this is a common cause of why the 3100 and 3400 wont start
Old 05-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #19
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
so its still doing the same thing? does it do anything? does it crank? starter click? start/sputter/die?
Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #20
Caboose73

Ya it will just sit there and crank and crank but i can get it to turn over and run