Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 AM   #21
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
just fine, in order to really suck water filter needs to be like 1/3 submerged IIRC
Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 AM   #22
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
it has to be submerged for a couple of seconds, but completely submerged. all this talk about WAI vs CAI, its just a piece of pipe and a filter. its not like theres gunna be any significant gains from one or the other. an intakes really just a jumping off point to get started when modding. theres a gain but not as big u think.
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #23
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
so PVC piping it is to make a COOL CUSTOM CAI and im serious about using pvc piping

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #24
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
That would actually probably work better because it's a better insulator than aluminum, so the air would stay cooler. As to how much better, I'm not really sure, I doubt it would be much.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #25
Alerojester
GL Member

were you talking about my PVC idea?

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Old 11-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #26
Lucalare
GLS member

Yeah, aluminum won't keep the air cold inside whatsoever.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #27
Alerojester
GL Member

Yay Im Smart

Old 12-01-2010, 01:25 AM   #28
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucalare View Post
Yeah, aluminum won't keep the air cold inside whatsoever.

it seems to do a pretty good job on my car. if its cold out, and i drive around for a while to let the car get up to temp, then shut it off and open the hood, the cai tubing itself is cold and sometimes has condensation on it if its damp out. the air is moving quick enough that the increase in temperature from the engine bay is minimal.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:02 AM   #29
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sleepr View Post
I wonder how well that worked when it rained...

Or rear ends somebody

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #30
Lucalare
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterider00 View Post
it seems to do a pretty good job on my car. if its cold out, and i drive around for a while to let the car get up to temp, then shut it off and open the hood, the cai tubing itself is cold and sometimes has condensation on it if its damp out. the air is moving quick enough that the increase in temperature from the engine bay is minimal.

Yeah you have a point, I didn't think about that. I guess I don't know how fast the air moves through there.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #31
BlueLego
GX Member

BlueLego is on a distinguished road
lullzzz that's how i started out. than i got the money for one coming off both ends of the tubing and got rid of that big ass resonator. than the full thing haha
and some advice, if you get the spectre shit look for the kit for drilling holes in the piping for your valve cover tubing, pressure regulator tubing, and for your air intake temperature sensor.
i guess haveing the tubing go from your valve cover into your intake is better for your engine cause something about pressure in the crank case or some shit like that, idk lol
and if you just put a filter on the it sprays oil everywhere haha
BlueLego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #32
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLego View Post
lullzzz that's how i started out. than i got the money for one coming off both ends of the tubing and got rid of that big ass resonator. than the full thing haha
and some advice, if you get the spectre shit look for the kit for drilling holes in the piping for your valve cover tubing, pressure regulator tubing, and for your air intake temperature sensor.
i guess haveing the tubing go from your valve cover into your intake is better for your engine cause something about pressure in the crank case or some shit like that, idk lol

lolwut? can someone translate please?
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #33
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sleepr View Post
lolwut? can someone translate please?

i couldnt help you, i dont know jibberish
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #34
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
ah shit wheres aaron he can translate anything...
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #35
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLego View Post

cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #36
rkl84
GX Member

rkl84 is on a distinguished road
So I'd hate to ask the "noob question" but I've done a full day of research and racked my brain over it. What really is the point of WAI? Is it just for sound? From what I understand of CAI=Cold dense air, allowing for better combustion, allowing for increased performance. (not much from what I gather)

I read that WAI does increase performance (again, not much from what I gather), but wouldn't the on board computer compensate for the warmer air and attempt to regulate the air to the correct temperature/cooler temperature?

When I say not much performance gain, I mean as a stand-alone mod. Nothing else done. There's a good chance that I'm way off, but I figured I would ask you guys. You all seem nice enough!

Any info/input would be greatly appreciated.
rkl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #37
Lucalare
GLS member

Warm air in warm air intake is relevant. It's comparing to the cold air that a CAI pulls out of the wheel well. A CAI is slightly better than a WAI for power, but very minimal. On its own either one does very little for power (K&N claims of 15-20 hp are bogus), but are good for mileage.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #38
rkl84
GX Member

Lucalare, thanks for the reply. So you're saying that WAI would allow for better gas mileage? I'm cheap, and I want to get more bang for my buck at the pumps! lol
Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #39
Lucalare
GLS member

I got a couple more, not much. If you really want to improve mileage get a high flow cat and an exhaust system. If you do don't buy the pacesetter, just go to a shop and have a 2.25 or 2.5" custom one made.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #40
rkl84
GX Member

Yeah, I'm not much of a nut head, more of a computer nerd lol

I'm slowly learning more about cars, and this forum is helping a lot. I'm more of a DIY type of guy, mainly due to my frugality and willingness to learn. Installation of a cat and exhaust seems like quite the project. Perhaps something I'll tackle when it gets warmer and I can spend 10hrs outside playing around with my car.