Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 06-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
RisenequinoX
GL Member

RisenequinoX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RisenequinoX Send a message via MSN to RisenequinoX
couldnt this be dangerous....?

Quote:

In general, automatic transmissions are known as being more useful for lazy commuters than for hardcore racers. But it may be surprising for some to know that many pro drag-racing cars have heavy-duty auto gearboxes. That's because the brake-torque launch is an automatic specialty. This launch involves keeping the car stationary by flooring the brakes with the left foot, while using the right foot to rev up the engine against the torque converter. In technical terms, this preloads the entire drivetrain with the stress of a launch, allowing the engine to rev closer to its power and torque peaks at the starting line. Brake-torquing is also beneficial for turbocharged engines as it allows boost to build up before the launch, reducing turbo lag. The only problem is that there is a lot of stress on the transmission, and the consequent heat build-up can destroy your automatic gearbox. Unless your car has too much power for the tires to handle, a brake-torque launch usually will not spin the wheels. This is because the automatic transmission absorbs the shock by design, and brake-torquing actually reduces stress on the rest of the drivetrain. Instead of a sudden massive load, the drivetrain has the torque applied slower instead of one huge jolt.
idk about this one ?
RisenequinoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
?

Autos are FTW in racing... manuals are for "fun" or whatever else a manual-fan will say they love them for. It's preferential. Autos are better for drag racing when built right.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
RisenequinoX
GL Member

alright i was just wondering cus i tried it today in my driveway just to see exactly how much resistance it created or whatever and i just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to mess anything up
Old 06-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Haha that is a bad idea.

Also, at least on the 4T40E, the stock stall speed is 2200-2800 depending on year it seems; that is the ideal brake torque RPM, any higher you risk damaging components.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
RisenequinoX
GL Member

well i have an 03 4 dr 3400 what trans does that have or are they all the same?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

That has the 4T45E, notoriously less reliable than the one on the 4 cylinders.

I believe that one is around 1400-1800... don't quote on that. Not sure exactly how you find out. It might be in one of the technical specification things that Cliff8928 seems to have access to
Old 06-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
RisenequinoX
GL Member

alright so saying that, not quoting you, the 4t40e can withstand higher rpm's?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

Don't know, they're supposed to be an almost identical transmission but GM somehow screwed it up royally.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
RisenequinoX
GL Member

lol i guess you can count on gm XD.

what would tuning the transmission in my car do?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

Make it shift faster and harder.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
RisenequinoX
GL Member

dont mind my many many questions it's a learning process. =]

where can i get this done?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

You do it yourself with HPTuners, or you can talk to one of the companies that make customized PCMs for the 3400, they'll do to it whatever you want. However, there's nothing they can do that will be perfectly tweaked to your setup. Have to do it on the spot, in-car, none of this mail-order tune crap.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #13
RisenequinoX
GL Member

alright sweet.

i was just admiring your car, where'd you get all the carbon fiber and guage clusters at?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #14
[ion] C2
636 whp

The interior trim I bought off a member on here, however there is a seller on eBay, just search for "Carbon Fiber Dash Kit Alero", and ensure it's "GENUINE carbon fiber" and not a simulated pattern version. I believe Sherwood Dash also makes them.

The gauge cluster carbon fiber one was bought on eBay as an "Intrigue Carbon Fiber Bezel," as the Intrgue and Alero have the same gauge bezel.

The reverse glow white face gauges were also bought on eBay from a seller d1tuning if I recall correctly.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #15
RisenequinoX
GL Member

alright now along the lines of an exhaust i see a lot of people use this.... http://summitracing.com/parts/PSM-88-1474/?image=large

would you consider that?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #16
[ion] C2
636 whp

On the 3400 it sounds great, made by a good company, and a decent price.

On either of the 4 cylinders, it sounds horrendous haha.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #17
RisenequinoX
GL Member

hahah thats what i was wondering. i just think most dual exhausts on a 4 cyl. would sound not that great. my friend has a cavi and it has dual pipes and its pretty bad hahah
Old 06-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #18
[ion] C2
636 whp

I have two mufflers in a row (high flowing ones) and dual outlets. Mine's super quiet. Well, besides when I go wide open, because the wastegate dump tube is just routed to the underside of the car, and doesn't hook up to the rest of the exhaust, so it gets REALLY LOUD.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #19
RisenequinoX
GL Member

i bet i'm keeping you busy right now, haha.

alright now say, just for starters, there might be a thread, not sure,
but would i need forged pistons, a performance upper manifold and
other goodies like that from wot-tech.com if i was considering a
turbo?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #20
[ion] C2
636 whp

Yes sir. The connecting rods are forged stock, although not sure on the quality of them or what HP they're good to, probably at least 350 just to throw a number out there.

You definitely need a way to tune it too. For just the most basic list:
  • AEM UEGO wideband gauge/sensor
  • HPTuners
  • turbocharger
  • wastegate
  • custom exhaust/turbo manifold
  • downpipe flange
  • downpipe
  • braided oil lines with fittings
  • charge piping
  • couplings and t-bolt clamps for pipes
  • blow-off valve