Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 04-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
O2RubyRedGLS
GX Member

O2RubyRedGLS is on a distinguished road
Headlight question

I purchased a 2002 Alero GLS about 3 months ago. I like the gas mileage, but miss the power and comfort of my old car (1997 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi).

Anyway, I have a nagging problem with the Alero. When I first bought it, I bought it during the day time, but of course made sure the headlights (low and high low beams) worked. The problem is after dark, when hitting a bump or at high interstate speeds the headlights bounce. It is a bounce not a flicker like a electrical problem. I noticed it was worse with the passenger side headlight so I purchased a new headlight, installed it correctly, but still have the bounce. I noticed in the old headlight there was a lot of movement inside the housing were the bulbs twist in. The new headlight has some movement inside, in the same place, but not near as bad as the old light. I have since purchased new driver side headlight, still have the bounce from both.

Has anyone had this problem? Its really annoying at night especially since the roads are falling apart everywhere. I cannot find anywhere on the mounting bracket that is loose, the bolts seem tight and I don't see any cracks or breaks in the bracket. The headlights don't have any up, down or side to side play when mounted to the bracket. The bumper cover isn't loose either. I should add that the car is prior salvage title. It has been wrecked. I bought it directly from the rebuilder. He told me the car was ditched. He said he put on a used bumper cover, used hood, used driver side fender and that was it. There was no headlight or header panel damage. I'm really at wits in with this.

Also, instead of opening another thread, the set, resume and cancel buttons on the right side light up at night, but on the left side only the orange light lights up when cruise is engaged. Is nothing else suppose to light up on this side at night? Looks odd that one side the letters are glowing green, but not on the other side.
O2RubyRedGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the site.

The headlight bounce may be mounts not seating properly. Check to make sure its tight.

The cruise will have to be replied to by someone with an Alero. I sold mine but miss it.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
none of mine work on the steering wheel anymore.. most likely the bulb or led (never looked under it) is burnt out.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
IDK if the lights inside the cruise button are replacible. One of mine are out too (just the top button on the right side of the wheel.

I have replacement switches. I know you have to remove the airbag to remove the switches. I like to try something like this on an Alero in the junkyard

As for the headlight thing, could be not mounted right like AGT said, also check to see if the bulb is twisted in the housing correctly

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
both of my aleros had the peice of plastic that the lights clip into crack. usualy yo ucan see the crack without even taking the light out.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I have bounce because my header panel was damaged in a crash. It's possible yours is cracked somehow as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2RubyRedGLS View Post
but miss the power and comfort of my old car (1997 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi).
lol, power
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
O2RubyRedGLS
GX Member

O2RubyRedGLS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
both of my aleros had the peice of plastic that the lights clip into crack. usualy yo ucan see the crack without even taking the light out.

Thanks, I'll look this weekend and see if there is a problem there.
O2RubyRedGLS is offline   Reply With Quote