Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 10-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
risson
GX Member

risson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to risson
Cool Rear Defrost & Climate control problems

I was wondering (after doing a search), if any one has had problems with their rear defrost / defogger not working? I press the button and the power light comes on but nothing happens. I also checked the connections, but again .. nothing.. Does anyone know what this could be?

Also, my climate controls has 5/6 (not sure) different settings from lo to high and the first two settings don't even work. I don't get anything (airflow) until the 3 mark / setting. Is the control going out or?

Thanks for any help..

RiSSoN
risson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Mine doesn't work.. but that's because the button itself doesn't seem to want to stay on, it flickers when I press it and when I release it just goes off. :P
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
pretty sure there's a recall or at least a tsb out on the blower motor not working on the lowest 2 settings, if i can remember correctly and sorry if i'm wrong cause i'm tired, but its the blower motor resister. as for the rear defrost, there's a little box back there in your pillar which is probably the culprit
Old 10-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
risson
GX Member

risson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to risson
I've been looking and looking and have found some info about the defrost not working..

The relay behind the back seat / right side may have gone bad..

Quote..

It's a relay behind that plastic piece above your right ear between your head and the rear window if you're sitting in the backseat on the passenger side. It controls your rear defroster and also the radio antenna. I'm sure there's got to be some destructions somewhere on our site that tells you how to get to it. My suggestion if it is not a fuse that is blown, would be after you replace the part, turn off your rear defroster as soon as it has done its job. If you leave the switch on supposedly it turns itself off at a predetermined point. Until it gets there though it is gonna be heating up with nothing to melt and that I think is what 's killing the relay sooner than it should. Good luck.

Does anyone have a part # for this piece and costs..? I've see some say $60 - $120 and $300.. so?

Any help...

RiSSoN
risson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
Mischief007
GL Member

Mischief007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mischief007
Yes I have them...let me dig up the dealer repair job.

EDIT:
Module 096490 - part number 22618677
Connector 096490 - part number 15305949

Both were gone. Water got in there and...you know the rest.

Last edited by Mischief007 : 10-02-2006 at 07:28 PM.
Mischief007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
for the climate conrtol, replace the HVAC blower motor. Mine did the same thing when i bought it; until it locked up and didn't work at all. replacing the motor fixed it (along with a couple fuses).
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
Frank3

This is a common problem with the Aleros. Both of my Aleros had the rear defroster stop working. The connector on the antenna amplifier can't handle the current, heats up, oxidizes and becomes a bad connection causing more heat until the module terminal and the wire connector body melt.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:52 PM   #8
Frank3

BTW - the black module behind the plastic panel on the right hand side of the car between the rear window and door in the pillar area is the antenna amplifier. I think its a pretty ingeneous idea to use grids on the back window like the rear defroster and use it as the radio entenna.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:18 PM   #9
freakout
V.I.P. Member

freakout is an unknown quantity at this point
No need to replace the blower motor just get the resistor. It varies the current going to the motor. Gets hottest on the lower settings and burns out. If I remeber right it was $17 CA.

What a great damn day, I can walk!
freakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:30 PM   #10
Frank3

freakout that is exactly it on the blower motor resistor. The last time I replaced one I noticed the design had changed from what was in the car to what GM sold me. Maybe GM realized there was a problem. The new design seems to have some silicone rubber on it that may have waterproofed or insulated the connections on it.

Last edited by Frank3 : 10-18-2006 at 10:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-19-2006, 12:52 AM   #11
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
That reminds me it's time to change the defogger module AGAIN - it's that time of year. I just don't want to spend $100 on it. Does anyone know if you can get it somewhere other than a dealer? I know Autozone doesn't carry it, but I haven't called around anywhere else yet. It's an AC Delco part - I have the box from the last time I replaced it.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:42 AM   #12
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I've been watching this thread very carefully since my rear window defroster hasn't been working since last year.

Can anybody just tell me what I need to replace and how to get to it. All I get from this thread is it's behind the right pillar by the back window (B-pillar I believe it's called)

And how to remove the B-Pillar. I cracked the A pillar a little bit when I installed my gauge pod

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:03 AM   #13
Frank3

Getting the cover off is a real pain. I have done them on both my 2 door and 4 door. If I remember, I started at the headliner on the 4 door, moved the rubber door trim out of the way and pulled straight in in the direction of the drivers side of the car. On the 2 door it was mush more effort. I cracked the panel while doing this one. The panel at shoulder lever while sitting in the back seat had to be peeled back. I think I was able to just pull it away and propped it out with a piece of 2x4 while I worked behind it. Not much fun.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:11 PM   #14
misslindseysue
MINIac

It's the C-pillar, actually. A, B, C, from front to back. In the coupe you have the start with the door sill trim. Then the piece then kinda goes up towards the backseat. Then pull the upholstered piece towards you. Then you can loosen the piece up on the pillar. I may have the order a little wrong, but it'll be obvious when you get into it. You can't get that piece totally off, so you just have to carefully pull it back (flip the seat back down some and I think it'll be easier). You'll see the black box in there right where the wires go in. It's just attached with one little bolt (I don't rememeber what size socket - not big). Unclip the wires and it comes right off. Then of course do everything in reverse with the new one.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #15
freakout
V.I.P. Member

freakout is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not sure if they changed the design or not. I got it right from the stealer. I've only changed the resistor once. My rear defroster hasn't worked since I got the car. I figured I'd change it when I do the 6x9s, Gotta quit putting it off. Are your really replacing the contol module every year misslindeysue? If thats the case I am not wasting the money.

What a great damn day, I can walk!
freakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:03 PM   #16
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just replaced a module yesterday on My neighbors "99" 2 door.
Remove clothes hanger clip,remove seatbelt mounting bolt "Torx" from the upper part of the panel,slide seatbelt from panel "front part of panel", gently pull panel as it is only held on by push clips & gently tug the panel forward & remove the upper seatbelt guide from the upper part of the panel then remove (a little fight) the upper panel & put aside,remove antenna cable & 2 plugs from the module,remove the module using a 10mm socket.
Most of the time the plug tp the module is burn't & has to be replaced. If so, replace the plug "harness" with one from the dealer as the module may not be bad just the plug/harness.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:48 AM   #17
misslindseysue
MINIac

I replaced it last fall, after it was bad for almost a year and it burnt out again in a few months. I haven't done it again yet because I didn't want to spend the money. The first time it went out I wiggled the wires and it started working. Cheap fix. So in reality the first one worked for a few years, then this one just crapped out on me quick.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:58 AM   #18
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Can I get this at AutoZone?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #19
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote: