Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 11-30-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
KenshinZero
GLS member

KenshinZero is an unknown quantity at this point
Velocity Stacks

Any one have them or tried them, or is it even possable?
KenshinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Velocity stacks would really only benefit you in a situation where you have a reasonably straight path along your entire intake system into your combustion chamber, AND more specifically of benefit where you have a single throttlebody per cylinder. Other than that, really won't do much of anything for you. Now if you got independent throttlebodies in a side-draft configuration, or got rid of your injection (and computer) and went to weber sidedraft carbeuretors, then velocity stacks might benefit you.

anyone else wanna throw some in there?

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Something like these?

Sure it's possible. They work very well to smooth the airflow going into the tube it's attached to.

^^These are designed to insert into the bottom of an intake manifold plenum, as if someone were going to make an intake manifold for a turbo engine...

If you're running naturally aspirated individual throttles, usually you'll leave open stacks like these:

What are you thinking of using them for?
Old 11-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
mfuller

Definitely possible, but very difficult to tune.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
KenshinZero
GLS member

I’m thinking of building my motor N/A, and from what I know there really well for an N/A motor, I was thinking of individual TB’s for each port, just because it seemed to make more since to me that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
Something like these?

Sure it's possible. They work very well to smooth the airflow going into the tube it's attached to.

^^These are designed to insert into the bottom of an intake manifold plenum, as if someone were going to make an intake manifold for a turbo engine...

If you're running naturally aspirated individual throttles, usually you'll leave open stacks like these:

What are you thinking of using them for?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #6
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
Definitely possible, but very difficult to tune.
ITB's are a little difficult to tune, not velocity stacks themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshinZero View Post
I’m thinking of building my motor N/A, and from what I know there really well for an N/A motor, I was thinking of individual TB’s for each port, just because it seemed to make more since to me that way.
If you're looking to go with an all out, money-is-no-object N/A build, ITB's would be a great idea. But because there's nothing readily available for an LD9, and because it would be expensive anyways even if there were, plus the fact that they are a little difficult to tune, as mfuller mentioned, it probably wouldn't be the best choice if you're on a budget.

Port and polish the head, get some cams, port match the intake manifold runners, get a larger throttle body, CAI, a header and a free flowing 2.5" exhaust and call it a day. You could even go higher compression if you want.

Of course, you could always make your own, I have some GSXR 1000 ITB's I could sell ya

These aren't mine, but is what they'd look like:

Too bad you don't have an Eco:

Old 12-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
I say go for it, if you're doing an N/A build. But, definitely get an air flow meter so you can match flow them. I used to run weber dual independent throat carbs on my old V.W. bug and they can be a bit of a pain in the ass to keep tuned. But once they're tuned, the "one barrel per cylinder" concept will outflow anything else you can put together. Definitely make a box for them to route through an air cleaner for daily driving though, or you'll suck up all the trash and dirt that gets into your engine bay.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:11 AM   #8
KenshinZero
GLS member

I could always get the Ecotec ones and fabricate it on lol. I don’t have a lot of funds, yet, I just got my job.
Quote:
ITB's are a little difficult to tune, not velocity stacks themselves.

If you're looking to go with an all out, money-is-no-object N/A build, ITB's would be a great idea. But because there's nothing readily available for an LD9, and because it would be expensive anyways even if there were, plus the fact that they are a little difficult to tune, as mfuller mentioned, it probably wouldn't be the best choice if you're on a budget.

Port and polish the head, get some cams, port match the intake manifold runners, get a larger throttle body, CAI, a header and a free flowing 2.5" exhaust and call it a day. You could even go higher compression if you want.

Of course, you could always make your own, I have some GSXR 1000 ITB's I could sell ya

These aren't mine, but is what they'd look like:

Too bad you don't have an Eco:

Old 12-03-2008, 01:23 AM   #9
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshinZero View Post
I could always get the Ecotec ones and fabricate it on lol. I don’t have a lot of funds, yet, I just got my job.
No you couldn't. The Eco's ports don't match perfectly to the LD9's. Plus it wouldn't just be a "cut off the flange and weld on a new one" type deal. The LD9 has B shaped intake ports that are a lot wider than the Eco's ports. Other than that, it'll swap right over

If you're dead set on ITB's, your best bet would be getting some motorcycle throttles for cheap, an LD9 intake flange, and some aluminum tube and have someone weld it all together.

It's no big deal if you don't end up with ITB's though, you can make some power without them, but you're a bit limited if you want to stay N/A.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:07 AM   #10
KenshinZero
GLS member

I figured as much, I never though to use TB's from a motorcycle, lol
Quote:
No you couldn't. The Eco's ports don't match perfectly to the LD9's. Plus it wouldn't just be a "cut off the flange and weld on a new one" type deal. The LD9 has B shaped intake ports that are a lot wider than the Eco's ports. Other than that, it'll swap right over

If you're dead set on ITB's, your best bet would be getting some motorcycle throttles for cheap, an LD9 intake flange, and some aluminum tube and have someone weld it all together.

It's no big deal if you don't end up with ITB's though, you can make some power without them, but you're a bit limited if you want to stay N/A.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:10 AM   #11
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Why do you think I mentioned the fact that I have GSXR 1000 ITB's I could sell ya, and posted a picture of GSXR ITB's made to fit a flange for a car engine

Old 12-03-2008, 02:17 AM   #12
KenshinZero
GLS member

I figured as much, I never though to use TB's from a motorcycle, lol
Quote: