Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 06-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
reddog37
GX Member

reddog37 is on a distinguished road
Red face Even more Window trouble...

I know there have been a lot of these lately but I have abused the Search function and I cant quite find the resolution to my issue.

Basically my left REAR window is broken. It will not stay up. Honestly I dont care if I ever roll it down again, I just want the darn thing to stay up.

So after educating myself on this forum I took the door panel and moisture barrier off the left rear door. Unfortunatly I see nothing that looks anything like any pictures I have in my Haynes manual or from any threads on this forum. It seems the rear windows work differently than the front?

I thought the sashes would be out in the open but they seem to be hidden. I cant see anything that is broken but... I cant see much of anything

I included some pics to see what the experts think. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by reddog37 : 06-11-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: grammar
reddog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
reddog37
GX Member

Yikes no responses

No responses make me sad. Well here we go again. If I have missed something from a previous thread I do apologize, and I promise that I have looked. Everything I can find on the subject is for front doors and not the rear.

I looked a bit closer and found some tiny white pieces of plastic in the bottom of the door. This makes me think i broke a clip.

I took a mirror and looked behind the upsidedown triangular looking metal piece (you can see it in the first pic) and it looks like the piece of plastic that grabs the metal cord is what snapped. This makes me think I have to replace the entire regulator.

Does anybody have any advice? If I can just replace a little clip that would be great. Do I need to take the whole window out to do this? How do I get behind the regulator to even do anything?

If I have to buy a regulator I can get one of of Ebay for not too much (I have to wait for shipping though .)

What I do not want to do is go to replace the clip, take the whole thing out and then find out I need a regulator.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
You will need the whole thing for the rear window. Ebay is probably your best bet for a cheaper one.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
GoldStar611
GX Member

GoldStar611 is on a distinguished road
your window keeps falling down? Sounds like the metal cable isn't snapped in at all to the white clips. Or maybe the cable has snapped.. I hate the windows in the alero, I'm just glad I don't have to deal with it anymore
GoldStar611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
reddog37
GX Member

Thanx Rusty

By 'whole thing' I assume you mean I will need a whole new regulator?

Or do I need to get a motor too? (The motor seemed to have been working fine.)

And one last question. Since I am taking the window out and it is glued to the two black clips at the top(you can kind of see them at the top of the pics) Do i need to order new clips as well? I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I take everything apart
Old 06-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
GoldStar611
GX Member

GoldStar611 is on a distinguished road
the clips that are glued to the window don't need to be reordered unless they are brokent too, they have a bolt running through them I assume if they are like the fronts.
GoldStar611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Is it the white plastic part that broke or was it the black plastic that is glued to the window? If it was the white plstic part then you will need a new regulator but not a new motor. If its the black plastic did they break or did the opxy just not hold it to the window?
Old 06-13-2008, 12:42 AM   #8
reddog37
GX Member

The black clips did not break, they are fine. I assume I will have to disconnect them from the window though to fix the regulator (???). Is it as easy as unbolting them? It looks like some sort of sealant was put between the clip and the window.

If I am reading you guys right I just need to replace the regulator. I will get the part ordered and hopefully ill get a few pics of the job. Thanks for all of your responses.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Yeah the sash is is attached to the window with opxy, looks like silicone. In your first picture you can see the two bolts, those are the ones you unbolt to take the window out, there will be four bolts toltal for the window to come off the regulator.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
trumpetplayer91372
GX Member

trumpetplayer91372 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to trumpetplayer91372
Reddog, were you able to get everything to work out because my rear passenger window doesn't stay up and after pulling everything off, I can't see any broken pieces. When i press the button, the cable does move and winds up into the spool, but the window doesn't move until the very last few inches of going down where it grabs and drops to its lowest setting.

Does this sound like the cable clip broke and I need a new regulator?

It seems like the metal piece for the door is one big piece and they squeezed the parts into the hollow area, so how do you go about removing the regulator if you need to?
trumpetplayer91372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
spinalator
GX Member

spinalator is on a distinguished road
I have 3 windows that make horrible metal on glass grinding noises, but they still go up and down. I have not had time to tear into it as I have my house in pieces right now. Of all 3 aleros I have had, all three have had cheapass windows that do the same thing. Glad I have a/c in them or it would likely be worse.
spinalator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #12
Mr_Reed
GL Member

Mr_Reed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mr_Reed
How to fix your Alero Window falling down Porblems forever!
Step 1:
Take off your door panel.
Step 2:
Find a sturdy 2 by 4 and cut a notch in it that will hold your window up and fit in your door.
Step 3:
Insert notched 2 by 4 into inner door and place window how you would like it.
Step 4:
Get a drill and screw in place the 2 by 4 in into your inner door panel.
Step 5:
Put door panel back on.

I got so sick of my window falling down and buying new clips and regulators and window motors I fixed my window for good!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
The only time my window broke was when I tried to roll it down to break the ice off the window.

Fixed under warranty.

D/S PW motor sticks sometimes. Bang on the interior panel, and it works

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #14
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Lol, hey Reed, I JUST read that last night, and wouldn't ya know it, today my sugarbitch stops by with broken rear window white clip on her 99' Cutlass.

I cut a piece of wood and jammed that bitch in there and she was so happy her drivers seat got wet with lovejuices.

Lol, but really, great temporary fix to hold it up until you feel like replacing it, if you even feel like it that is, lol.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #15
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
my windows dont work because two regulators went out and the window switch on the driver door quit working..

so I pulled all 4 motors off the regulators.. now I can pull em up and down by hand and wherever I pull em, they stay- fastest manual windows ever. just dont roll the front ones down all the way lol

getting it fixed next week.

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote