Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #61
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Paul, rain cleared roads dried. Tune will be thrown on the car soon. And will get another scan. And I will try to get the WB hooked up as well in this scan.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #62
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Just make sure you use the 0-5v wire and not the serial one...lol The serial one will look like a narrowband signal. The serial wire you can connect to the factory ECU and "simulate" a narrowband signal. Its balls up man when you connect that way. If you did do that though, you have to leave your WB in full time
Old 11-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #63
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
If you just unplug your narrowband and scan, you will see a constant 450mv reported. That is the programmed "switch point" of the factory tune. The % that the narrowband swings above and below that point is how the ECU derives your trims. When you unplug your narrowband it puts you in open loop. This makes tuning with the wideband a snap because the computer is seeing a constant 450mv and will not allow any trims in PE mode. Good data is the most important part of tuning, always keep that in the forefront of your mind when doing this
Old 11-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #64
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Well the way I did it was ran two wires. One to the white wire. And one for a ground. About to hook it up to pin 1 and pin 5 and see if it shows. (Wideband still installed and will also show me a/f)
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #65
sleepyalero
GLS member

Ok paul all wired up and did a quick scan at idle to see if it read on hpt.

It does read. When car is in the on postion not running.. 12.1 afr.

Started the car is was a pretty steady 14.1 at idle. But my gauge itself hops around between 14.3 and 15.6 at idle. And hpt doesnt show what my gauge reads. Is that normal? Or is something not hooked right?

I will scan the car this way anyway for the afr reading if it is correct or not. If its not then domt go by it in the next scan you recieve.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-18-2013, 02:25 AM   #66
sleepyalero
GLS member

okay, scratch that.... i know somehow you said to change the egr or something to read as afr. but i looked through the how to hook up wideband on hpt/help that you posted a couple pages back and it does exactly show me how to use it in hpt... atleast i couldnt find it.

i have one wire hooked up to my AEM wideband wiring, and it runs into pin 1. ran a ground wire to chassis of car. and ran to pin 5. the whole scan im about to email you shows 14.7 afr. but i also found out that i chose the only thing i saw regarding afr for the chart. "air fuel commanded low res" thinking about it on the way home. i think thats only showing me what its tuned to be and it didnt move all the way home. but in my reply above. it did move slightly. i revved it and it showed 11 afr then went back to 14.1 so idk where to go from here to show me afr in the scans.

good news is... only 1.2* KR in this scan.

let me know on the wideband if you can. i cant seem to figure it out. but i sent you an email with the scan.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #67
MMGT1
GLS member

You did as above right? Added it to the EIO section of your table view? It will show in that section of the table view if you did, you do not need to add anything else to your config. AFR commanded is exactly that, what the car is aiming for, the WB will give you actual AFR. Its the difference between those two that you will tune in so your Commanded(Afr Commanded low res) will match what your WB actually reads.
If your WB is slightly different than what is reported in the scanner, you can adjust the final number in the function string to match the scan. Yours will have a final value of 10 in the function string of the wideband PID, Ive seen a lot of AEM users end up with 9.8 as the final number in the string to get it to match the scanner

Last edited by MMGT1 : 11-18-2013 at 08:01 AM.
MMGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #68
MMGT1
GLS member

Sleepy, this is how your table should look once you have added the Wideband to EIO

Old 11-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #69
sleepyalero
GLS member

oh okay! now i got it to look like that. thanks!!

did you get my scan i sent you via email last night? just want to make sure.

ill test it later to make sure it reads it because im sure ill be going out again later... maybe. if not tomorrow.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #70
MMGT1
GLS member

Just got your scan on a stick about to have a look

Need a copy of your latest tune. I want to bump timing in the cruise range now that the fuel is good. I think we can get a few more degrees out of it yet there

For now, go to your MAF table again, highlight the table from 4500hz to 10,000hz and multiply by .98
This will remove 2% from that table. We need slight positive trims before PE so it will not pull fuel like it did there

Last edited by MMGT1 : 11-18-2013 at 05:34 PM.
MMGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #71
sleepyalero
GLS member

Oh okay.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #72
MMGT1
GLS member

Cool, shoot me your tune and Ill post a screen shot of a table for you then you can try it out. I say we set you up tonight to start VE tuning... we can use your NB up to around 4000RPM, above that we want the Wideband
Old 11-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #73
sleepyalero
GLS member

All I have is a wideband and okay I will in about 10.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #74
sleepyalero
GLS member

tune sent to email.

just did some quick research on difference between a narrowband and a wideband. it said for tuning a narrowband is pretty much useless compared to a wideband. but you know what you are doing so ill let you determine that!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by sleepyalero : 11-18-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #75
MMGT1
GLS member

Narrowband is no good for PE mode, no. There are so many variances between narrowband sensors when outside stoich, which is 14.7:1AFR or 1 Lambda that it makes them pretty untrustworthy. Same platform car can have a narrowband report 890mv wot, and 930mv in another!
But, here is where it gets the debate going, narrowband sensors kick ass at reading stoich. They are specifically made to do just that, read stoich. I trust a narrowband, that is in good working order, aiming for a stoich value.
Then, to boot, if you tune stoich values into your PCM using a wideband, as soon as you hook the narrow back up there is going to be a variance of a couple % between what the wideband had you tune in and what the narrow now reads. Guess what?... then trims would pull or add fuel to make it stoich according to what the narrowband reads! This could easily result in your car pulling fuel in PE making it go lean when you "think" you have a perfect tune.
My 2-cnts.... make sure the O2 sensor is good, people spend the better part of 700 bucks to get HP, they need to make dam sure the car is mechanically sound. Use the narrow band to tune to PE, ensuring 0 trims entering PE and the MAF is used solely to fuel car. Then wideband from where you enter PE to the end of your reachable table. Consistency is key to me and if trims are messing around with delivery in PE that's no bloody good at all
Old 11-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #76
sleepyalero
GLS member

good info! are you saying i need a narrowband? my o2 for the aem wb gauge is still in good working order.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #77
MMGT1
GLS member

Alright, give this timing table a go. Should get you a bit higher in cruise areas. Did a bit of smoothing as well.

And in 3D view should look like this

Shoot me a scan after you set the MAF and this timing table. Remember to copy the HIGH table to the LOW table when tuning
Old 11-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #78
MMGT1
GLS member

If you are going to run your wideband full time, leave it exactly as it is bud. Let the WB generate the narrow signal
Old 11-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #79
sleepyalero
GLS member

okay cool. i will make the changes. and should have a scan for you tomorrow evening. and should have AFR reading in the scan as well.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #80
sleepyalero
GLS member

changes made. my graph at the top left in 3D looks a little "rough" compared to what you showed me. i went over all the numbers and they are all the same. so im guessing its okay.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote: