Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
Runaboveit
GX Member

Runaboveit is on a distinguished road
Hole that shows tran fluid level?

Read it all, or your mother will be involved in a tragic clown / u-haul truck mishap.

So, onto my questions...

From my research, our cars .. or at least the v6 auto does not have a tranny dipstick but rather a cap/plug you unscrew from the top of the transmission. It's a red cap and its located in the upper right of the engine bay, down in the engine compartment.

And I have also read in order to check the level accurately there is a small bolt of some sort that you unscrew and if fluid comes out of the hole it means the level is properly filled. Is this correct?

If So.. my question is, where is this small hole at to check the fluid level? I found the red cap, unscrewed it..because I could.. and then screwed it back in. lol.

And also, If anybody has advice on what I should to to my transmission maintenance wise. Since I bought it, I have not added any tran. fluid (dont see any leaks) or changed the fluid or filter (talking about in the tranny... obviously) I bought it with 218k maybe 4 months ago now. Currently has 232k. Tran Running fine. No records available, so I don't know if it's original and or if it has had maintenance. My gut would say somethings been done going by the mileage, but you never know.

I have read that higher mileage transmissions run the risk of damaging the transmission by changing the fluid and filter because at that point I guess sludge or something has built up in it, and changing the fluid and filter moves it around and can cause failure. Basically from what I understand the concept is the same as switching a high mileage non synthetic oil ran engine to full synthetic which dislodges gunk that was actually keeping oil from leaking (which is widely debated, most either saying they have experienced it first hand, while others call it complete BS)

Input and thoughts appreciated.

And more importantly if anybody can get a picture or two snapped of where I need to be looking for this hole at (giggity), that would be great.

Thanks guys...

miles as of 04/23/10
Runaboveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
passenger side, above the pass CV axle, little plug..
Old 03-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Spike440
GX Member

Spike440 is on a distinguished road
should be like a bolt about 6 inches above the tranny drain plug. thats how i remember it being use to work at an oil cchange / tire shop. havent done one in awhile though lol.
Spike440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
lord2heart
GL Member

lord2heart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
i dont remember from what the haynes said but i think the car should be running when you got the plug out so its at its "proper" level
lord2heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
Nate said it. Easiest way we checked it was when I went to my cousin for an oil change because they can see under your car without jacking it up. He works at one of those oilchange/rip off places . He pulled the bolt from the passenger side and checked the color and smell and said I was good to go.
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Spike440
GX Member

yeah i think every car has to be running when checking transmission. unless its a manual? and synthetic differential fluid smells awesome IMO, smells like tropical fruit lol
Old 03-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Chris2000
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike440 View Post
yeah i think every car has to be running when checking transmission. unless its a manual? and synthetic differential fluid smells awesome IMO, smells like tropical fruit lol

I'm Nate and i'm a douche.

Last edited by Chris2000 : 06-06-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
Spike440
GX Member

AT trannys with dipsticks car has to be running and in park. not sure on the one without the dipstick i dont honestly see why it would have to be running... Look in the manual! lol.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2000 View Post
I don't think so. My car wasn't running when he did that. It is just a fluid level after all, same like with oil you can check the level whether or not the car is on.

wrong, when the car is off the tourque converter is half empty, showing an overfilled condition... when the car is running, the TC is full and the front pump is filling the TC.. and you check your oil with the car on!? dude, never open you hood... never
Old 03-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
If it's not running it WILL be too high. When it's not running the pump isn't running, and all the oil that is circulating in the trans is hanging out in the pan.

Idling in P or N, depending on the vehicle. Always.

And yes, you are right. Changing extremely dirty fluid (more specifically, flushing it) will almost assuredly cause problem if it's been 80-100k since the last flush.
You should be able to safely drop the pan, put in a new filter, and fill it back up... then you'll have 5ish qts of new fluid and should not have disturbed any sludge deposits
Old 03-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
wrong, when the car is off the tourque converter is half empty, showing an overfilled condition... when the car is running, the TC is full and the front pump is filling the TC.. and you check your oil with the car on!? dude, never open you hood... never

with it running... i always take the oil reservoir cap off, and jam my finger in there... see where the level is..
Old 03-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
Chris2000
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
with it running... i always take the oil reservoir cap off, and jam my finger in there... see where the level is..

You sir are a whispering eye.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Lmfao, omg re-read that post, and WOW.

I didn't notice he mentioned checking oil with the car running. That's a good one...

"Why the hell is it not even close to full yet?!? I already put in 10qts!!!"

Old 03-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

it looks foamy, must be low....
Old 03-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
Spike440
GX Member

wow lol I over-read that too. bet you get a very accurate dipstick measurement
Old 03-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #16
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post

Ummmm wow! And you're going to be a doctor?

Car running in park, take out little plug, if fliud comes out, it's full

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #17
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
so, since the question has already been answered above, let me add that you should install a dipstick from a GTP. Although, you have to know the dipstick must have the 4t65HD transmission attached to it in order for it to work, but small inconvenience.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #18
Spike440
GX Member

never thought of doing that. how much do 4t65hd trannys run for... i probably shouldnt ask cause i can find out in 2 seconds LOL... now im debating about deleting what i just wrote...now im just typing what im thinking...
Old 03-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #19
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
LOL checking oil with the car running
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #20
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

'lemmie check my oil" *munch munch munch*