Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-27-2004, 09:59 PM   #1
shortstar

hey guys, I dont think many of you know me but I have been a leurker around here for a while who finally regestered and sted quire a lot for a short while. I posted that I wanted to do a 3,5 shortstar swap for an alero. Well after doing lots of research I have found that it would cost me at least 10 grand to do this the right way and that the after market for the 24v 3.5 dohc is very small compared to the alero's 3.4 ohv. So I decided I want to stick with 3.4 in my 01 black gls, and start with los of bolt on mods this summer and then next summer go with the hp turbo kit.

Now guys be gentle, I admit I am a noob to this but Ive always been a do it yourselfer in the past and I am a fast learner. If you think somthing is to hard for me to do as a begginer just call me on it and I will seek profeshional instaltion. So here goes.

This summer I want to put buy the headers (the other guys products) upper and lowr P&P intake manifold, cold air intake with inverted K&N top, and the grand am borla exhasut all from APOC, there prices seem good and I like getting everything from the same place. I also want to get a P&P TB to go with it all. This come ous south of 2 grand. I would also appreciate any body who could give me info as to what internal parts I should upgrade in preparation for next summers turbo project. So to sum up my questions are...

Can I self install the folowing

Upper manifold

Lower manifold

Trottle body

Borla Exhaust

Headers- I'm pretty sure I cant on these just want to make sure

CAI

Are APOC's parts all of high quality as they seam from the pictures.

What should I get for internal upgrades and from where can I get them.

And what do you think My numbers are going to be like with all these mods? maybe 210 horse and 240 tourque at the crank? Thanks a lot for you help in advanced guys.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:40 AM   #2
loudalero

Well it does look like you have learned alot since you have been here so and not that I know any more than anyone else but these mods you should be able to do yourself other than that of the headers and the lim.
The headers you should be able to do to if you can weld if not your out of luck there.
The lim the reason I say to have a pro do it is becuase you have to take out the pushrods and you want to pay attention on how they cam out and put them exactly where they came from but after that its pretty easy except for all the crap you have to take off to get that low in the engine.
With these mods you should be able to brake the 205 mark at the crank and I would say that you should be higher around like 215 max I think.

But good luck.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:08 PM   #3
shortstar

Thanks LoudAlero for the imput that just leaves me with 2 questions unanswered, Are their any places you guys know of that seel internal parts to upgrade the ammount of HP and tourque my motor can safley handle. I would like to only have to uprage the internals once before I put in a turbo kit next summer. So please tell me what internal parts I should get for that and from where. Also while I think everything from APOC looks very high quality I would like to know from a few of you If there are any reasons I should shop elsewhere becasue of any quality issues or better products being offered elsewhere.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:47 PM   #4
loudalero

On the internals I would have no idea on where to start in the engine or where to even find the parts because as we only have limited places to pick from but one of the best I would say for internals would be rsm.
Apoc is a great company and John is a great guy and he just needs a clone to help him out to get everything done a little faster and shipped faster but he makes up for it in customer service and he would be a great guy for you to talk to about internals.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:53 PM   #5
shortstar

alright loud alero, you have me convinced. I will email john about the internals and go pretty much exclusivley with APOC for my bolt-ons. IF anyone else has any comments about the internals I'd welcome it.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:25 AM   #6
StealthAlero

i believe for most internals unless your running the ecotec, you need to get custom made.