Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-26-2004, 10:38 PM   #1
Pacho

I'm in the process of saving up for a rsm supercharger at:

http://www.rsmracing.com/us/main.htm

I'm planning on getting the 12 psi of boost and I was wondering what other upgrades am I going to have to make to the engine and other parts of the car if I get the 12 psi supercharger?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:45 PM   #2
wy3134

You got a lot of work to do, including upgrading the engine internals and a new computer tune, as well as being sure other parts of the car are able to handle the boost....before you buy it research it...otherwise its gonna be a blown engine
Old 04-27-2004, 01:05 AM   #3
StealthAlero

Just curious, why are you set on 12 lbs. of boost?

The HP Racing Turbocharger puts out 220whp at only 5 lbs. And 254 @ 9 lbs.

So 12 is going to require lots of major upgrades, mostly internal, but also tuning.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:16 AM   #4
Pacho

No, I'm talking about the RSM supercharger, at 8 psi of boost, there's an 80 hp increase. So if the stock engine is only 170 hp, then w/the supercharger is 250 hp, and I want to get more than 250, so I'm thinking the 12 psi boost is in the high 200's (or maybe a little more)?? I haven't looked at the HP supercharger yet, do you have a link I can check it out at?
Old 04-27-2004, 01:20 AM   #5
Pacho

Also, Stealth, could you give me a few examples of the major upgrades I'm going to have go through.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:43 AM   #6
StealthAlero

Ok first off, there is a difference between these little letters, HP and WHP. HP= Horsepower and WHP= Wheel Horse Power. Its a big difference trust me. That means that our 170hp cars only have around 135whp i believe, its somewhere close to that. Now someone correct me if i'm wrong but RSM advertises an 80 HP gain for $5000 dollars. That is the biggest waste of money anyone could ever spend. That means your spending $62.5 dollars per HP. Now heres the alternative, HP Racing (a company) who sells a turbo kit for the grand am (which is the sister car to the alero) which hasn't been test fitted for the alero yet, but theoretically should fit, you just have drive your car to chicago to be tuned by the guys @ DHP. Anyways, but their kit is $3,000 and you get 220whp @ 5lbs and 254 @ 9 lbs. So you do the math, who has the better deal.

Turbochargers and Superchargers are very technical add-ons, its not something i can just make a list for you to go out and by, it requires knowledge, experience and expertice on our cars and the chargers themselves to make this kit work. That is why there are only so few boosted vehicles.

If you really want to check it out still, the site is www.turbochargedpower.com, but please do not hassle the guys at HP if you do not plan on buying, we have plenty of people including myself working on getting this kit fitted so it can be advertised for the alero.

Honestly if your just looking for a fast way to hook up your car and something that is less technical, you might want to try nitrous. It is technical yes, but it takes way less time to learn and there are more people on here using it then turbochargers or superchargers, so they can help you out, and third its way cheaper and easier to get into your car.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:59 PM   #7
Pacho

At the turbocharged website, it says that the pontiac turbocharger has 264 hp at 9 psi. Is 9 psi the highest boost it can go?
Old 04-28-2004, 10:41 PM   #8
wy3134

All it means is thats what it was tested as, at a standard PSI for basis to rate the kit on THAT engine. My advice is definetely read up before you buy or your just gonna blow the engine, it takes lots of planning and research to do any project for forced induction, whether your gonna run at low PSI on stock internals or up the PSI and run on upgraded internals....theres so much that its impossible to list on here and keep it a short post.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:49 PM   #9
loudalero

Well just to point this out with the rsm paying 4700 that is installing it and a three day vacation to canada and from what i have heard our car will hold up to 10psi on stock internals but that is with a super and just another thing is I just seen a vid of the magacharger sc and vortech scand the vortech kicked its ass.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:54 AM   #10
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
The turbo kit should be the better choice for a few reasons... one being that it is fully tuned including a PCM, and it is intercooled... meaning lowerintake tempatures... a good thing
Also turbo is tecnicaly MORE efficant than a SC :thumbsup:

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:38 AM   #11
wy3134

which turbo kit has a tune?! I didnt know any had a good tune for alero apps.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:34 AM   #12
sc/alero

you can run up to `5 psi i continue to run 10 -12 psi on my magna with no problems and it is all stock internals.
my buddy has the rsm kit on the grand am and i have no problems keeping up with him or beating him unless he uses the nitrous in conjunction.