Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 02-25-2004, 01:38 AM   #1
99ALERO

well, my car started weird the last few days, RPMs jumping from 800-1200, and i notice my car is using a little more gas than it should. I have a Cold Air Intake installed

Yesterday the Service engine Soon light came on so i took it into the dealer to get it checked out. Well, the Mass Air Flow sensor is messed up. So............the car is running rich. So i ordered a Granatelli mass air flow sensor because i dont like buying over priced GM crap.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:55 PM   #2
StealthAlero

Speaking of which, how often do you guys clean or change the filter for your CAI's?
Old 02-25-2004, 05:03 PM   #3
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
CAIs are safe as long as you are careful not to drive into really deep puddles.

You clean your filter with the K&N recharger kit.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:50 PM   #4
Alerosince99

Quote:
the car is running rich. So i ordered a Granatelli mass air flow sensor because i dont like buying over priced GM crap.

Please tell me you didnt pay 450 for the granatelli maf! Pro-M is still only 250 and people have had much better results with it.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:09 PM   #5
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
^^ditto!!
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 06:46 PM   #6
StealthAlero

Yeah i've heard of the recharge kit before, but how often do you use it?
Old 02-25-2004, 06:48 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I heard every 6000 miles with the cold air.

When I had the WAI it was less

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:28 PM   #8
StealthAlero

Does the ASE or DHP chip override the MAF, or aftermarket MAFs for that matter. Because if it does, isn't it useless to buy one if your buying one of the two chips. I'm just wondering because i know most chips change your factory settings ex. how much air to flow.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:36 PM   #9
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

DHP does contro; the settings, so getting a pro-m would prolly be a waste...ASE wel...they went to mexico, so they wont ever get my business, and only a few people have had good luck with theres

Old 02-26-2004, 06:48 PM   #10
99ALERO

Quote:
Originally posted by Alerosince99@Feb 25 2004, 04:50 PM
Quote:
the car is running rich. So i ordered a Granatelli mass air flow sensor because i dont like buying over priced GM crap.

Please tell me you didnt pay 450 for the granatelli maf! Pro-M is still only 250 and people have had much better results with it.
i found it at Stylin Concepts.com Listed for $329.95 with tax and shippin around $358

I didnt drive in any puddles and i change or clean my filter every 12,000 miles. As i looked at my front bumper I notice a space between the lower headlamp and the bumper, enough where water could get in there and hit the filter during driving, so with the snow melting and slush and water all over spraing up maybe this was the cause?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:41 PM   #11
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

thats exactly right about the water problem under the headlight...but now im sure you have also takin your car to the carwash right...well there ya go...high speed water blowin all over the filter......i got an AEM bypass valve off one of the local honda boys, so i dont worry bout it now, also im using the civic tube, so the lil nipple thats on htere, i have also put a mini breather on there as well

Old 02-26-2004, 08:00 PM   #12
leroBob
GLS member

leroBob is an unknown quantity at this point
try duck tape hehe
leroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:42 PM   #13
StealthAlero

That little inlet between the headlamps shouldn't matter. Southeast Alaska gets almost the most rainfall in the world, yeah it sucks but. I've had no problems, so i don't think that you should either. Just try cleaning your filter once in a while.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:52 PM   #14
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

the first filter i had, an el-cheapo, sucked water in after i went to the carwash, i pulled out, and as soon as i got on the road i stood on it, and it buck and jerked like crazy, thats when i chnge filters, and got the bypass valve.

Old 02-27-2004, 01:15 AM   #15
StealthAlero

Huh, i always hand wash mine and i've had no problem, i even used a pressure washer and my cai works great. I bought a FDP kit, so whatever that filter is i guess, works alright.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:48 AM   #16
Alerosince99

I live in minnesota so there is plenty of snow, puddles and what not. I also take my car thru a drivethru car wash during winter. I have never had a problem with my cai.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:49 AM   #17
1WhiteOSV

I have a CAI on my alero and about 2 weeks ago I went to the powerwasher to wash my car and i guess I sprayed my filter somehow(i still have foglights in and headlights so..it was still protected in the fenderwall) because when i left my engine completely died, i tried starting it and it'd fire up then just shut right back off, and hade EXTREMELY rough idle when it stayed running for like 5 seconds once. So i pushed the mofo to the dealership where i got my car (its still under warrranty and thank god i was like right next door to the dealership when this happened..LUCK) anyway i left it w/ them for a couple hours and i guess i got water into my system and i think it got the MAFsensor wet or something...i dont think any got into the actual engine, but they really didnt tell me...they just said "you sucked water into ur intake" luckilly it was EASILY fixed at No charge to me :thumbsup: and I was on my way. But my main message to this is that..NOT only BIG puddles can be a danger...i sucked in only a little bit and ya..my poop died and WOULD NOT start for the life of her. SO just be careful at carwashes and just overall around water. ALSO, the bypass valve will only protect you if you have the filter SUBMERGED in water to where the pressure rises in the intake tube...When that happens, the bypass valve opens and air is sucked through it till the water drains back out and the pressure is at zero again and the bypass valve closes, which then starts sucking air back through the reg. filter. If you get just a lil bit of water (like in my case) a bypass valve wont help <_< . Hopefully this helped some people. THanks

Adam
Old 03-01-2004, 10:01 PM   #18
RiotNrrrd

Is there anyway you can protect your filter/CAI from water? I work with a guy who made a guard out of tubing to keep out water, yet I think it would restrict some of the air intake.

Has anyone else had any probably with their stock MAF after installing?
I just purchased a CAI and I'm not sure if I want to install it if I have to worry about getting water in my engine or my MAF messing up.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:51 PM   #19
99ALERO

Well, My car stopped running, so I went to the junk yard and got a MAF off of a 99 Monte Z34. When i took my CAI apart, I found LOADS OF SALT!!!!!! Salt was all over the sensors in the MAF and my butterfly valve on the throttle body was white on the outer edges. So i modified my CAI to a WAI and notice my car does run better now. here are pics of the salt, kinda blury but you can see the salt. It is the bright white parts on the MAF
Old 03-03-2004, 01:55 PM   #20
99ALERO

another