Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-06-2004, 05:37 PM   #1
Purple&Black

All right, four Chicago winters leave lots of rust on the stock bolts where the piping bolts to the cat. Apparently, all "nice" tools (Liquid wrench, lots of torque, etc.) are not enough...but before I wreck the bolts, I need to know...

The flange on the pipe is obviously threaded, since there's no nut on the end of the bolt. Does anyone know if the flange on the cat is threaded as well? Can I just cut the heads off the bolts and slide the pipe towards the back of the car? If the flange is threaded too, that won't work cuz then I'll have an impossible-to-turn headless screw attaching the two pieces together. I could just then drill that out, of course.

Anyway, y'all know what I'm getting at. I just want to make sure before I wreck the heads of those bolts. Hopefully someone else had similar trouble...

Thanks...
Old 04-06-2004, 06:02 PM   #2
SouthDakotAlero
GL Member

SouthDakotAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
My bolts were rusted on as well, but with enough turning I finally broke 2 of them off and was able to screw the last one out. There weren't any threads on the pipe coming from the cat on mine.
SouthDakotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:13 AM   #3
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
I don't remember there being any threads on the cat, just bolts and nuts. If you can't get them apart, try lots of liquid wrench and ratchet with cheater bar, then just cut off the bolts and replace em with some stainless hardware, its pretty cheap, and will be worth it if you ever need to get em apart again.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:05 AM   #4
StealthAlero

Mine were very rusted, but i took a wire brush and yarded on them for a little while and they came off or broke off. I don't remember if they were threaded or not sorry. But i do believe the SLP kit comes with new bolts so its all good.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:25 PM   #5
Purple&Black

Oh yeah, the SLP has got new bolts with it, so I won't need the old ones ever again. Brute force it is! Thanks, everybody...
Old 04-07-2004, 10:18 PM   #6
vodkaslut85

try strong mildew detergent, mix it with a cup of piping hot water and smother the bolts with it, not only will it bring the bolts back to life but it should make unscrewing easier...it's a trick I learned where the battery terminal's sat and aged for too long, attaching to the terminals, try that it'll make it a little easier. Does the SLP kit come with new bolts?