Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-11-2004, 12:46 AM   #1
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
I have done the search, under 4 different search titles with no luck, and I read about it somewhere, but I can't remember where? so I need some feedback, I installed my CAI and noticed the MAF screen, has anybody removed this screen? if so what are the good/bad points to doing this? if it is of no help either way, I just won't mess with it?
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 12:56 AM   #2
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Some ppl say they notice a differance...
Yank it out.. but be carefull not to damage the mafsensor...
The sensor is SUPOSIDLY callibrated with the screen in place... and some beleave its a last defence agenst debree getting into motor... however this is um wrong lol
Its there to smooth the airflow...
Reason being i say its not there to prevent debree.. is because you dont put a verry fine filter element AHEAD of a verry Course filter...
For example with a fuel system has a screen type filter... THEN a fine filter.. not the other way around...
Its there for airflow... dont butcher it if you can help it.. then you can put it back after...

Oh and btw it was mentioned b4 maybe not on this site but i have head it b4 that some factory vehicles dont have them.. and aftermarket models usually dont have them...
I would take it out My Choice...

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 01:05 AM   #3
Pimpalero03
V.I.P. Member

Pimpalero03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pimpalero03
it takes ten minutes. why not just take it out. lol you wont notice poop but ah well.
Pimpalero03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 03:18 AM   #4
Oldsmopimp

IMO I think it's a silly, worthless mod. It aint gonna do poop for yer performance. Im sure someone will prolly post and go into detail how Im wrong....but like i said, its just my opinion. Leave it on.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I took mine out a while ago and haven't had a problem yet ( about 3 years ago). You won't feel a big gain but it will increase air flow, esp if useing a CAI. Every little bit helps

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 12:22 PM   #6
flashyalero

yea i took mine out about 4 months ago and never noticed a difference
Old 04-13-2004, 02:23 AM   #7
1WhiteOSV

I took mine out and when I injested water into my engine..the dealership (nice as they were, NOT charging me anything to fix it)..took out all the water and made everything in perfect working order. They told me that that screen is also used to divert water away from the mass air element, I dont know exactly how that is..but that's what the Chevy dealership said because they almost didnt help me because I had removed it but they were cool and so everything's fine now. But I HAVE taken mine out..i did on my truck too when I had it..it doesnt do crap and good luck tryin to put it back in if you do because you basically have to punch it out w/ like a flathead screwdriver and u end up damaging it when taking it out so odds are, it wont be able to be put back in.