Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-12-2004, 02:41 AM   #1
vodkaslut85

Hey guys, the other night I was puttin' the metle to the peddle on a street course that me and my friends had set up, there were quite some sharp turns and I ran my car through it, mind you when it was warmed up and everything. I ran into a problem on the second run when I turned the traction control off to see how I'd do and on one of the nasty turns I heard a loud blow off valve-ish sound come from the passanger side area of the engine bay, I braked and parked the car, the check engine light came on and I restarted the car. After turning it on, all lights were fine, no check engine light, the car runs as if nothing had happend, I drove it 4 hours back to school today with no problems what so ever. What do you guys think the sound was and could there be some unforseen damage that I didn't check for?
Old 04-12-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
j-work

j-work is an unknown quantity at this point
The blow-off noise... I have no ideas?

The engine light though I have had my engine light come on before when running my car hard at mid-ohio race track and came around a hard left and the check engine light came on. Stopped check it out and it was fine also. I think it was just a loss of oil pressure due to the turn.
j-work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:41 PM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
did u pull the hand brake? That would cause the SES light to come on too

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:11 PM   #4
StealthAlero

Well also how long were you out there beating on the car. Maybe the radiator coolant was overheating and it was just a cowincidence (sp?) that when you hit that corner the light came on, the sound i'm not sure off, maybe it was the coolant and steam flowing into the overfill tank. I dunno man. Cause i mean the coolant pressure is around 15 psi and maybe could give off the same effect/sound under auto-x conditions. When its all moving around rapidly, but i dunno, if i heard the sound i could help you out. Its kind of hard to guess what the problem without seeing the car.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:48 PM   #5
Final-Reality

Wipping it around corners can cause the check engine light to come on because the oil is splashing around in the pan and it thinks it's low on oil. Not a good thing when you're driving your car hard and the sump can't get any oil... and the BOV sound could've been simply the air intake, which makes a BOV-type sound when shifting at redline... but you should've noticed that from the start, not just that one time...
Old 04-13-2004, 02:29 AM   #6
1WhiteOSV

Idk man...if it's under warranty I'd just go check it out at the dealership (obviously NOT mention the presence at the track LOL) and just ask them...maybe they can just check things over. Other than that, there isnt much to say..if ur not having any problems, SES lights, or anything else i'd say dont worry about it...I really dont think anyone on here will be able to give you a diagnostic of what it is because it could have been a NUMBER of things or NOTHING at all...
Old 04-13-2004, 02:31 PM   #7
vodkaslut85

Yeah, I'm not that worried about the SES light, but that sound didn't sound like the intake at a redline shift. It was allot louder...I'm gonna take the car into the shop when i finish the semester since I'm back at school and the nearest old's dealership is rinkey-dink 3 car showroom with a lot thats got more weeds than cars in it. (typical small college town )...
Old 04-13-2004, 08:35 PM   #8
Blackrider

I had something like that, but it was every time I would hammer on it aproching 5500 the engine would pop twice then shift. It was coolant blow by comming from the colant line that connects to the black steal line going into the heater core by the water pump. It turned out that the clamp when tits up, Look for any coolant stains in that area, if so replace the hose and the 2 clamps.