Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-18-2004, 02:13 AM   #1
bigd6983

ok a few questions. What size is our exhaust exactly, I have heard 2 1/4" but just want to make sure before I buy a muffler. Also as far as offset in center out as an example, what should I use if I am only going for a single exhaust?? and my last question does anyone know if the make the flowmaster 80 series with a single output?? if not could i pull both the cutouts straight out and it would fit in the factory space?? is there another series like 40 50 or 60 that sounds the same as the 80, i want to stay with flowmaster. any comments would help thanks
Old 04-18-2004, 11:42 AM   #2
bigd6983

Cmon people, I have 13 people looking at the site but no one writes anything?? lol
Old 04-18-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

King Asoka is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to King Asoka Send a message via MSN to King Asoka
ok our stock exhaust is 2 1/4". The 80 only comes in either single in dual out or dual in and dual out. the 80 is a crossflow so it mounts parallel to the rear bumper so no, you cant mak it fit the stock bumper cut out. the 40 series does make a single in dual out that you can use. if you want the part number let me know. but the 40 doesnt sound as aggressive as the 80. well there you go, hope it helps.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:11 PM   #4
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
I have a single in single out 40 series on mine and it sounds killer! I wanted the smoothest flow possible, thats why I decided against the slp, borla, and 80 series.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
bigd6983

thanks jabar thats what i decided to go with, have you heard the 80 series though, if that doesnt get you going then i dont know what does, i just dont want to start cutting at the body, keep it a sort of stock look.....
Old 04-18-2004, 05:35 PM   #6
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

to many major bends for an exhaust shop to install an 80 series, if going that route its best to just go with the slp, but price comparison, 235 for my custom exh. compared to 450. for the slp, and my friends tell me it sound great at W.O.T!

start looking at tip choices now, it took me twice to find the right tip.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:42 PM   #7
Final-Reality

Uhhh is our stock exhaust not 1 7/8"? For both the 2.4 and the 3400?
Old 04-18-2004, 08:03 PM   #8
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jabartram@Apr 18 2004, 01:35 PM
to many major bends for an exhaust shop to install an 80 series
^you got to be kidding me........i think there are atleast 3 or 4 guys on this site who have the 80, so i dont think u know what your talking about......(im not trying to be rude, but....)
Old 04-18-2004, 08:38 PM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
^^A few guys do have the 80 on their car, I don't but Borla makes a cat-back for the Alero to fit a singal tip. The kit may be more $$$ than to want to spend but a very simple install. The sound will be good too :thumbsup:

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 10:50 PM   #10
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

King Asoka, thats just what the exh shop told me, as pertaining to free flow! I NEVER said I knew what I was talking about I WAS trying to explain what a supposed professional explained to me! SO NO! I didn't know what I was talking about, I was repeating what the exh people told me, so apparently THEY don't know what THEY are talking about!!!!!!!!

And if you look at the exhaust system and muffler internals, an 80 series is more restrictive than a 40 do to the fact that exhaust has to make a 180 degree turn in the muffler before it can exit on one side and a 90 degree turn to enter the muffler, and a 40 is a strait shot, and yes there are mild bends in my exh system, but not 180 degrees.

So less bends=more free flow!!
Old 04-18-2004, 11:50 PM   #11
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

easy there cowboy. I wasnt trying to sound like an ahoe. I was just pointing out that you can use an 80 series on an alero. and i never said you were wrong about the flow of the muffler, all i commented on was the fact that you can mount it......geezzz, you dont have to get all huffy about it......
Old 04-19-2004, 12:15 AM   #12
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

Not getting huffy, I just realized my statement was stated incorrectly, they told me it would sound good and look good with the dual tips, but the flow would be more restricted, My Bad, I didn't realize it read, that it couldn't be installed.

So yeah I did sound like a moron!
Old 04-19-2004, 08:41 AM   #13
mlcroy20

I've got the Dynomax Turbo muffler and it sounds great... very quite when just idling, but a really aggressive sound when I hit the accelerator! :thumbsup:
Old 04-19-2004, 09:18 PM   #14
hurstalero
GX Member

hurstalero is an unknown quantity at this point
I am running a 2.25" Magnaflow universal muffler with a resonated Lawson Industries tip and it sound deep and strong on my 3400.

Weber
Daily Driver http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/537877 Modifications: window tint, front and rear strut tower braces, Sprint lowering springs, Magnaflow muffler, SLP air temperature module, mesh grill, Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, Street Glow bulbs, MAP Enineering exhaust heat shield,Doctor Speed Stage 2 short ram intake, and a K&N cone filter.

Project http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/518009
hurstalero is offline   Reply With Quote