Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-26-2004, 08:35 PM   #1
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi guys, I fired up a page over @ cardomain.com, with pics of my new ride, and listed the mods I intend on doing. Naturally, you're gonna get positive AND negative feedback, but I got something kinda different. Maybe a suggestion, I dunno....See, one of the mods I listed on there that I intend on doing was running headers, through dual high-flow cats, then a TRUE dual exhaust. A guy named Pimpalero03 dropped me a line saying that there's NO ROOM for a true dual exhaust. MY questions to this forum are these;

1) Will a true dual exhaust fit under a 2000 Alero coupe without too many ground clearance problems?

2) Are there any power advantages to running the common run-of-the-mill high-flow cat and catback setup? And if there are, what's the best " bang for the buck " exhaust setup out there, and how much cash are we talking?

Thanks guys,
-YB B)

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:06 PM   #2
Voodosoup

You're best bet is the SLP cat-back system.

From what everyone else has said, the aleros cat already flows really well and you won't really see any improvement from installing a high flow cat. And honestly I don't think a true dual exhaust would make make any difference when you factor in the weight of the extra pipe/cat/muffler.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:11 PM   #3
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
I have a custom 2.5" exhaust from the cat, back to a single flowmaster 40 series, It was about half the cost of the SLP system.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:30 PM   #4
Oldsmopimp

custom exaust would prolly be best bang for your buck...but I am one of the many SLP owners that will tell you SLP is worth it. GREAT sound.....performance wise I noticed nuthin, and I dont think you will with any system unless ur runnin headers. The craftmanship is great too...good welds, ALL stainless(even the filler wire on the welds) Its well worth the 4 bills. If you have some mechanical knowlege, jack stands, and tools....its easy as pie to install urself.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:14 AM   #5
Arsonalero

i have what they call the LS1 comversion exhaust kit from a camaro, with super 40 series muffler and it costed me about $200 with chrome tips.. SOUND HELLA CLEAN
Old 04-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #6
misslindseysue

For once, Pimp is right. Hoist up your car and have a look for yourself. Or try to do it, let us know how it goes. It's going to cost you though. Headers ain't cheap.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:31 AM   #7
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

johny_boy32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to johny_boy32
the flowmaster is prolly the cheapest and best exhaust for that price. But if you want to spend some money, go with borla or slp. A lot of people on here like them both and I havent heard any complaints.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:11 PM   #8
StealthAlero

Yeah ofcourse a true dual will fit the alero, but your 2 pipes are only going to be about a half an inch wide each. :P

Ok, your going to get some schooling kid.

There are 2 key things you need to remember when upgrading your exhaust. Engine Output and Velocity. If you run too big of piping without enough power, then your going to rob the exhaust of thermal efficientcy. Meaning, if your car aint making the power, then the exhaust will not have enough pressure (velocity) to be pushed out the tailpipes. Resulting in actual worse gas mileage and horsepower and a number of other problems, and not to mention you just paid however much for that exhaust that made your car slower. When they say a freer-flowing exhaust will help you gain HP, that is true, but to an extent.

A large diameter piping like what your talking about will do more bad then good, especially if you took off the cats. I think that is the only reason why most alero owners see any gain at all when they buy the SLP cat-back, because if they did take off the cat, then they'd probably lose some power because most do not bother to go further then a CAI. I know that there are people on here that are close to 300whp which is probably further then you will take your alero, and they're still using the 2.5" SLP.

Ding Ding Ding..... Schools Out.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:35 PM   #9
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Hehehehe, I never meant to sound ignorant, but that might have been the impression I made lol Being from a small-block chevy mentality, and this being the first non-8 cylinder car I've ever dealt with modding-wise, I never gave it a thought. These little motors don't NEED to flow much lmao. Oh well, thanks for the imput guys, looks like headers and an SLP is the best choice.

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Old 04-29-2004, 05:07 PM   #10
Blackrider

I dont know why people think the cat on the GA/Alero flows well because when i put mine on it was like night and day.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:37 PM   #11
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
A guy named Pimpalero03 dropped me a line saying that there's NO ROOM for a true dual exhaust.

Yeah ofcourse a true dual will fit the alero, but your 2 pipes are only going to be about a half an inch wide each. :P

LMAO................You guys have never seen the Alero 442 HUH? Maybe you should think before you open mouth next time.

Far as true dual exhaust...............yes it can be done. I would say max of 2.25 for each pipe. but 2 inch would fit better.

Now is it worth it? For a V-6, probably not. Would it be neat to see someone do it on a V-6, yes. Would it cost more to do, yes.

So if you want to do true duals, go for it. and if your serious, let me know, i have pics on how to run it so you can do it.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:42 PM   #12
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackrider@Apr 29 2004, 03:07 PM
I dont know why people think the cat on the GA/Alero flows well because when i put mine on it was like night and day.
i noticed a gain with my high flow cat too.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:16 PM   #13
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

It's funny, the mixed responses one gets from proposing the cat question lol It'ld be nice to see a before / after dyno sheet on this topic, but we all know THAT'S not gonna happen on such a small mod.

thanks for the imput guys...

:P