Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
dbailey
GL Member

dbailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Shifter Handle - Help

I bought into an idea years back to replace the shifter handle with a brake handle. When I took my stock handle off, I don't remember if there is something that goes inside it that makes it work or not. If it does, I must have lost it.

In trying to put my stock one back on, I can't get it to engage the button in the middle of the shifter shaft.

I may just need whatever it is that goes inside the handle that engages the shifter shaft and pushes down on the part that allows the shifter to move.

When I push the handle down onto the shifter it APPEARS to be all the way on but when I push on the button on the handle it has no contact with that plastic piece that juts up out of the shifter that allows you to move the shifter thru the positions.

Would anybody that has an automatic mind popping that clip off the backside of it and lift the handle off and see if there is something that goes into it that the shifter pushes down on and allows it to work? Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by dbailey : 03-19-2014 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Left out something
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
The shift knob makes direct contact with that white plastic part in the shaft. Try appling a little more pressure and wiggling the knob(lol) a little bit. If you shine a light into the knob and press the button, you should see something in there moving that presses on the shifter.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
dbailey
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
The shift knob makes direct contact with that white plastic part in the shaft. Try appling a little more pressure and wiggling the knob(lol) a little bit. If you shine a light into the knob and press the button, you should see something in there moving that presses on the shifter.

Thanks for the suggestions/info. I actually did all of that including shining a light down into the handle. Saw the cam looking thing moving while I push on the button. Damndest thing I've ever seen. I went so far as to tapping on the handle to try and get it to go down and its like its lacking around a 1/2" or so from going all the way down. The brake handle I am using works fine. Can't figure it out.

Last edited by dbailey : 03-19-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Left something out.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Theres a pin that holds the shifter in place.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
dbailey
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Theres a pin that holds the shifter in place.

Is it a pin that is separate from the one that sticks out the top of the shifter? The white plastic one that's in the shifter is there. Is there supposed to be something that I stick into the handle then onto the shifter? I have that clip that holds the handle to the shifter. Just seems like the handle is not going all the way down onto the shifter so that little cam thing inside of it pushes down on that plastic pin sticking out of the shifter. I MUST be missing something is all I can figure.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Is it a pin that is separate from the one that sticks out the top of the shifter? The white plastic one that's in the shifter is there. Is there supposed to be something that I stick into the handle then onto the shifter? I have that clip that holds the handle to the shifter. Just seems like the handle is not going all the way down onto the shifter so that little cam thing inside of it pushes down on that plastic pin sticking out of the shifter. I MUST be missing something is all I can figure.

He's talking about the staple that keeps it in place. There's nothing that goes in between the knob and shifter.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
dbailey
GL Member

Then I'm befuddled. I have that staple. The handle just doesn't go down far enough to engage the cam in the handle. I jiggled it and wiggled it and no good. Guess I'm staying with the brake handle. Oh well.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Pics of brake handle as shifter please.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
dbailey
GL Member

100_0881.JPG

Never attached a pic before. Hope this makes it. If not, will try again.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

I had one of those on my car for 5 minutes before I realized how badly it clashes with the interior. Not a fan, but it's cool I guess if you like it.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
sleepyalero
GLS member

I thought you stuck the stock e brake handle on it. Thats what I was hoping to see haha
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #12
dbailey
GL Member

Quote:
I thought you stuck the stock e brake handle on it. Thats what I was hoping to see haha

lol Naw just one that somebody mentioned a longtime ago and I went for it. Now want to put the stock one back on and just can't get it to go all the way down. Lacks like a half inch or less to make all the way it seems.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:08 AM   #13
sleepyalero
GLS member

Is therr anything inside stock one thats keeping it from doing that? Or a add on to the shifter for the aftermarket one you didnt take off?
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-21-2014, 06:14 AM   #14
dbailey
GL Member

Didn't see anything in stock one. Used a flashlight to look in it and all I could see was the hole and that cam looking thing that moves when you push in on the button. Only thing sticking out of the shifter is the white plastic rod thing that pushes down and allows the shifter to move. Have racked my brain trying to figure out why the stock one won't go down far enough to engage that plastic rod coming out of the shifter.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #15
sleepyalero
GLS member

Thats odd. Dumb question but you arent putting it on backwards right? And have you tried pushing down/wiggling it side to side while trying to go down? Honestly it should slide right on. Idk why its being stubborn.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #16
dbailey
GL Member

Quote:
Thats odd. Dumb question but you arent putting it on backwards right? And have you tried pushing down/wiggling it side to side while trying to go down? Honestly it should slide right on. Idk why its being stubborn.

Yea I made sure it was pointed in the right direction. Even tried to put it on backwards. What I didn't do is push in the button and try to put it on. That's the only thing I've not tried. Will do that next. Thanks for the great idea.