Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
dbailey
GL Member

dbailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Automatic Shifter Handle????

Am having the damndest time putting my stock shifter handle back on and am at a total loss. When I try and slip the handle back over the shifter rod the handle doesn't seem to go down enough to engage the shifter so it will shift. I've tried everything.

Would somebody that has an automatic mind popping the clip on the back side of your shifter handle off and removing it and measuring the length of the white nylon rod that sticks out of the top of the shifter? Mine sticks out 3/4" and I'm wondering if I sawed off part of it years ago when I flipped out my stock handle for a trick type of brake handle that somebody came up with and have forgotten or what.

Thanks to anybody that wouldn't mind taking a couple of minutes and letting me know.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
dbailey
GL Member

Was searching around for somebody else that may have had this problem and stumbled upon a previous thread I had posted about this issue but had forgotten about. Sorry for the duplication. Just hope somebody can help me fix this issue.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
dbailey
GL Member

Got it figured out. For some reason it wasn't going back on for the last inch or so. Literally had to take my hammer and beat it down until it bottomed out. Go figure!
Old 05-18-2014, 11:02 PM   #4
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
You didn't have to hammer it in... I usually smack it in with my fist. Same concept.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
dbailey
GL Member

I think after having tightened the set screws SO many times in the improvised brake handle, the shifter rod was kinda rough that I'm not sure I coulda banged it down as far as I had to go to get it bottomed out. At least I got it back on. Thanks for suggestion.