Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 05-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
Coldfire
GL Member

Coldfire is an unknown quantity at this point
So I'm getting an Alpine CDA-9853 deck and am looking for the best possible sound quality from my iPod. Thus, alpine recommends their KCA-420i interface adapter. I've looked up reviews online and find mixed reviews.

1. Everyone universally agrees that the sound quality is awesome--this is my primary concern so I THINK I'm going to go ahead and buy it

2.The biggest complaint seems to be about the navigation through songs from the deck itself, say its slow to scan your files, doesn't display everything etc.

My only question is CAN YOU STILL NAVIGATE FROM THE IPOD ITSELF AND OVERRIDE THE HEAD UNIT???

I know that navigating on the iPod while driving is less convenient than using the HU... but I do that already and am just looking for better sound quality than the FM transmitter

thanks in advance-Coldfire
Coldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm not postive with the alpine, but for most cables that use to dock connector, charge, control, etc when you're plugged in your ipod screen will read "do not disconnect" and you wont have any control over it, only through the HU
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
Coldfire
GL Member

damn. So like the ipod2carGen2 cable at www.mp3yourcar.com is probably the same way? (they work with alpines)
These are the only 2 options I found for my deck, if there are any others let me know please. thanks.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm almost positive that ANY way you interface your ipod that allows you to use the dock and control from a headunit will put the ipod into the "do not disconnect mode" the same as if you were to plug it into a pc to interface with itunes or similar.

it really sucks that there are rumors of the alpine having that problem, from what i've read, the kenwood interface works nearly flawlessly, and can even use a voice engine to read off artist names, etc.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
I recently changed to a Alpine HU. MY interest was in the new 2006 line and there ipod control. I found the new interface to still be slow on responding to my ipod. I believe it varies on how many files and what compression you have them in. The stores ipod had a relatively fast response and only contained about one gig of songs in 128 format. My ipod had 25 gig in mp3 320 and responded very slow. It is the latest gen ipod with video. The display of the new units is vastly improved from the old (allowing nearly all playlist info) but is very complicated to navigate. The HU buttons were recyled from other options and left the user with a scattered feeling. I would have been much happier to see a dedicated section for the ipod cotrols all in one area of the face plate. In the end, I opted to purchase a older alpine (DVA-7996) dvd unit and a moster cable for the ipod. Here is a link to the cable I used.
http://www.monstercable.com/MP3/productPag...or%20the%20Home
It can be purchased at comp usa for 29 US dollars. This cable uses the data port to plug into your aux line. This means that the audio signal will be just as good as the new alpine cables that give full control. It charges the ipod at the same time and will allow the user to control the ipod. Since the cable is relatively expensive, I suggest you try out the alpine control calbe first. Some may like it. I hated it and have decided that HU control is not for me.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
dt_freak1

i myself run the KCA-420i along with my CDA-9825 Alpine Radio and my iPod 30 Gig video. yea searching for music is a lil slow....but the sound is crisp and clear and i like it like that. it beats switching cds which is something i might have had to face down coming up in less then 2 weeks cuz im roadtripping my alero to Peoria. thanks to my alpine sound and power the roadtrip will rule cuz i wont worry about flipping cds. just plug my ipod in and go 2 and a half hours on the interstate highway with me and my ipod and some gear for an overnight stay at my aunt's house. if anyone from here actually wishes to meet up with me and chill for a bit on sunday before i depart peoria for highland just send me a pm sometime before the 20th and we can meet up and hang out n drink a beer or whatnot. im just lookin forward to relaxin
Old 05-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
Coldfire
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikegett@May 7 2006, 11:41 AM
I recently changed to a Alpine HU. MY interest was in the new 2006 line and there ipod control. I found the new interface to still be slow on responding to my ipod. I believe it varies on how many files and what compression you have them in. The stores ipod had a relatively fast response and only contained about one gig of songs in 128 format. My ipod had 25 gig in mp3 320 and responded very slow. It is the latest gen ipod with video. The display of the new units is vastly improved from the old (allowing nearly all playlist info) but is very complicated to navigate. The HU buttons were recyled from other options and left the user with a scattered feeling. I would have been much happier to see a dedicated section for the ipod cotrols all in one area of the face plate. In the end, I opted to purchase a older alpine (DVA-7996) dvd unit and a moster cable for the ipod. Here is a link to the cable I used.
http://www.monstercable.com/MP3/productPag...or%20the%20Home
It can be purchased at comp usa for 29 US dollars. This cable uses the data port to plug into your aux line. This means that the audio signal will be just as good as the new alpine cables that give full control. It charges the ipod at the same time and will allow the user to control the ipod. Since the cable is relatively expensive, I suggest you try out the alpine control calbe first. Some may like it. I hated it and have decided that HU control is not for me.

Cool I definately think I'll at least look into that...it sounds pretty much like what I'm looking for until someone comes out with a more bug-free system
Old 05-08-2006, 02:33 AM   #8
Coldfire
GL Member

/\ I had to work and now when I got home I looked it up from your link...it seems like its just a charger??? It doesn't seem to mention anything about playability...am I looking wrong?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:47 AM   #9
Coldfire
GL Member

Anybody know anything about this product? mp3yourcar.com
what do you think?

Edit: this is the same product, better site info discountcaraudio
Old 05-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
02_Silver_Ho
GX Member

02_Silver_Ho is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the Alpine interface and for the most part it works fine. Sound quality is excellent, especially with all the extra things you can do through the Alpine head unit. The only quirk I've noticed is that when you are scrolling through your library, it can be a bit slow and tedious, but there are certain things you can do with Itunes to ease this, such as creating custom playlists, or putting all your artists that have only 1 or 2 songs under the artist name "other." No you can't control the ipod itself when connected, but wouldn't you much rather have it tucked away in your glove box and out of sight? (Remember people unbelievably get robbed and for these things nowadays.)

All in all, I was hesitant on buying one at first, but I am happy I did. For the 2006 Alpine decks (not sure if yours is or not) they got rid of the interface, and replaced it with a simple cable, but this will not work on anything but the new decks..

And please don't spend $135 on a no-name ipod adapter when the Alpine one is less than $100 :Noooo:
02_Silver_Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:28 PM   #11
Coldfire
GL Member

Yes I'm purchasing a 2006...so I won't even need the KCA-420i?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:55 PM   #12
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
The monster cable is a charger that plugs into the data port of the ipod. On the end of the cable is a auxilary plug that goes to your HU's aux in. Any cables that utilize the data port to aux will give you equal sound quality very close to cd. The monster cable is a smart charger so that it will shut off when the car is powered down. The benefit of the ipod, is that the software controls how it charges to give the user the maximum battery life. Since you are getting a newer alpine, the ipod cable is the same cost as the monster cable I bought. The benefit of the alpine is that it gives you control through the unit. However, if you are like me and dislike the HU's interface I strongly suggest getting something similar to the monster. It will allow you full control through the ipod. The other benefit I have with the monster is that I can place it in any car to charge my ipod. Before you buy, I suggest going to best buy or any local shop that sells alpine. They should have a display for testing the 2006 interface.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:30 AM   #13
Coldfire
GL Member

Cool, thanks alot all. I'll post more if I run into more problems