Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 04-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
dirtyoldsmythe

I want to install my IPOD in my 2000 Alero GL. I have found a converter that will allow me to hook the IPOD up through the CD Changer ports on the stock head unit.

What the manufacturers website says is that on 99 and 00 Alero's, they come pre-wired with a CD changer hookup harness in the trunk. My problem is is that i can not find this hook up harness.

Does anyone know if it exists and where exactly it might be?

Thanks guys

Scott
Old 04-10-2005, 08:14 PM   #2
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
my only guess would be near the stock amplifier, you will find this under the carpet near teh top of the trunk, on the driver's side
Old 04-10-2005, 10:04 PM   #3
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
thats only on SOME 99's cause i dont have an amp in the trunk. of course my car is a bit different from others. like a half polished stock UIM.....
Old 04-10-2005, 10:45 PM   #4
bman_84

I know in my 2001 and most gm vehicles the harness set is installed at the factory for what option package your car has installed(i.e U1Q is Cass. CD). Now, if you have a factory HU, depending on part number, there may be a port on the back of the factory deck to plug in such an adapter. If there is a factory amp, it is mounted on the passanger side behind the backer that lines the trunk, right next to the screw for the cargo net. I know that's were mine is, but I could be wrong.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:02 AM   #5
dirtyoldsmythe

thanks for the help guys. I will check it out tonight and let you know what i found
Old 07-13-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
smlzalero
where my knickers at?

smlzalero is an unknown quantity at this point
GAHH why does no one ever come back and post how they finished the job???
This is my exact dilemma... can't find where to hook this damn plug to. 2001 GL- NO facroty amp.

Any help from people who've hooked an ipod interface up please help.

--UPDATE-- Have 6 months to start paying!
smlzalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:43 PM   #7
sofa
GL Member

sofa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to sofa
Ever think ur car might not have an amp in it? What kind of speakers in it? Best bet with the stock HU's is to buy a fm transmiter for the ipod. I got mine wired into my touch screen. Its pretty deadly.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2313940 http://www.myspace.com/kowch
sofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:40 AM   #8
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
It's pretty easy, if your Alero has Class 2, and you have an open (unless equipped with XM) 12-pin square connector on the back of the radio *or* you have the older style E&C radio, the one that says "Oldsmobile" on it and have a flat 10-pin plug on the back you can use an iPod integration adapter.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:50 PM   #9
smlzalero
where my knickers at?

FM transmitters suck ass, sofa.

Right, I don't have a factory amp, but nothing says "hook it to your amp cable" it says "Location: Trunk" or CD changer, nothing about a factory amp.

Anyway, it seems i have to get a cable for that but that part # says it doesn't fit 2001 aleros. (It's only for 1998-2000) And I haven't found one that fits.

I believe I have an open 12-pin square plug on the back, but the adapter cable will not fit it.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:27 AM   #10
smlzalero
where my knickers at?

Ok, well i got an ipod2car interface, it came with the correct wire harness to plug into my radio.

it's all installed, but now the radio won't turn on. In fact, it won't turn on, the key fob won't work, and the engine dies a few seconds after turning over.... all this ONLY when the ipod interface box is plugged into the radio! What the F*CK??? There is power, the unit will turn on & charge the Ipod, but the unit doesn't have a chance to work because the f*cking radio turns off and the car get's it's panties in a bunch.

Does anyone know if we can bypass the theft-deterrent feature of the car alltogether? That seems to be the only way to have this interface work in an Alero.

Why the hell won't this sh*t work? What is it about my car that's so damn retarded?

Old 07-15-2006, 01:49 AM   #11
02_Silver_Ho
GX Member

02_Silver_Ho is an unknown quantity at this point
Save your money. Get either an Alpine or Pioneer deck and the IPOD connecter module. You will not be disappointed..

And you will have to buy a bypass module for the PassLock feature as well..

Last edited by 02_Silver_Ho : 07-15-2006 at 01:54 AM.
02_Silver_Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:33 AM   #12
Cliff8928

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlzalero
Ok, well i got an ipod2car interface, it came with the correct wire harness to plug into my radio.

it's all installed, but now the radio won't turn on. In fact, it won't turn on, the key fob won't work, and the engine dies a few seconds after turning over.... all this ONLY when the ipod interface box is plugged into the radio! What the F*CK??? There is power, the unit will turn on & charge the Ipod, but the unit doesn't have a chance to work because the f*cking radio turns off and the car get's it's panties in a bunch.

Does anyone know if we can bypass the theft-deterrent feature of the car alltogether? That seems to be the only way to have this interface work in an Alero.

Why the hell won't this sh*t work? What is it about my car that's so damn retarded?

Many of those interfaces have a switch(es) for which radio it works with. I believe the older radios have the "AM/FM" button, and newer ones have a "Band" button (XM compatible). Looking at the instruction guide for that iPod interface, I would go with Config #7 for your Alero.

Last edited by Cliff8928 : 07-15-2006 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #13
smlzalero
where my knickers at?

Thanks, Cliff, but I've tried every configuration for the switches and it's still the same thing. Tried disconecting the battery before & after hookup, nothing.

Went to a junkyard, looked thru 3 2001's and one had the cable to the trunk, but none of the harnesses or plugs that came with the GM ipod2car kit fit it at all.

I've come to the conclusion that if you have a 2001 GL, you just don't get to connect any additional audio equipment beyond an amp to the fac HU.

I did get unpainted stock radio & shifter trim, so now my plan is to just get an aftermarket black HU with an mp3 hookup.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:38 PM   #14
Cliff8928

That's strange, possibly there's something wrong with your ipod2car unit. I know there's others out there that do specifically fit the '01s.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:24 AM   #15
smlzalero
where my knickers at?

I've tried both the ipod2car and the interface from PAC and it's the same with both units. Perhaps it's something goin on with my particular car... maybe there's something jacked up with the radio itself or my computer.

I don't care anymore, I've given up. I returned the Ipod2car unit and I'm seling the PAC one with both harnesses used for 1999-2000 and 2003-2004 Alero's so whoever buys it will have which one they need.

Besides, I found a display unit radio for $25 that's aux-ready.

Thanks for all your help!