Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 06-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
GL2Alero
GX Member

GL2Alero is on a distinguished road
Wheel Bearing.....NOT a wheel bearing!!

About 3 weeks ago or so the ABS light, no trac light and service vehicle light started coming on randomly and would reset after restarting. About a week later started getting a sound that gradually got worse over one week and sounds like mud tires. The lights now come on much more often as well.
I had already replaced the front bearings last october so I decided to do the rear bearings. Replaced both rears and still have sound and lights. Took it to Big-O where I got the tires and they said it was the front right bearing because the sound is louder turning to the left and is quieter turning to the right.
I replaced the front right bearing and still have the sound and the lights. I took the front left bearing completely off with out buying a new one and it seems perfectly fine spinning it in my hand. I have also rotated my tires.
I still have the mud tire sound that is louder turning left and have the 3 lights.
The tires have 20,000 miles on them and the 2 on the rear had started cupping but not real bad. Also, the centers seem slightly more worn than the edges.

I checked the codes and I cant remember the code but I looked it up and all it said was loss of communication with brake control module.

Are the lights connected to this sound problem or a coincidence?
I have 3 new bearings and the last one seems fine so what could it be? Could this be tires? CV joints dont make this kind of sound do they? The CV boots are in good shape.

Any suggestions before I wind up taking it to a shop.
By the way it is a 2001 Alero 3.4 162,000 miles.
GL2Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
GL2Alero
GX Member

OK so it is a wheel bearing...The only one I didnt change was the bad one. So when I turn left and it gets louder all say its right bearing right? Well not with mine. I turn left and much louder turn right and much quieter. I replaced right and both rears and still turn left and louder. So I put my old right one on the left and all fixed. no sound no lights. What gives?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
you are really supposed to jack up car and wiggle the wheel at 12 and 6 to see which side has play in it. if the bearing was that bad you would clearly be able to see which side is solid and which has play.

ive replaced about 5 front axle/CV's and maybe half a dozen front wheel hubs on my alero. the air ride likes to chew up all that shit.

i used to actually swap the timkens out right before the 1yr warranty was up this way i had a fresh pair.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
GL2Alero
GX Member

I did jack the car up and wiggled the tires and neither really moved at all. Maybe its just my inability to feel the minute movements but they seemed fine to me. Anyway Im glad Im finally fixed up and the one that was bad is still under warranty.
My factory ones lasted about 155,000 miles and I replaced both fronts last october and its one of those new ones that went bad again. I just got cheap ones from rockauto but thought theyd last more than a year at least they are under warranty.
I have never replaced the cv joints/axles or front rotors. Overall I have been pleased with the car. I am the only owner and got it new in Nov 2000.
Now at 12 years and 162,000 miles the worst thing ive had to deal with was the LIM and I fixed that myself I just hope these bearings dont have to be replaced on a yearly basis now but at least Im pretty fast at it now. Last one only took me about 20 minutes.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
it is possible to have a "loud" wheel bearing that has no play in it. seen it many times. but taking the bearing out to spin... horribly way to diagnose anything.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL2Alero View Post
I just got cheap ones from rockauto but thought theyd last more than a year

That's your problem right there. What's the brand name and country of origin for these?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
jstubbs76
GX Member

jstubbs76 is on a distinguished road
I am in need of new hub bearings as well. I have a '99 GLS with 134k on the dash. I have heard many people say O'Reillys is pretty good as far as replacement parts, is that true?
jstubbs76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
GL2Alero
GX Member

Quote:
you are really supposed to jack up car and wiggle the wheel at 12 and 6 to see which side has play in it. if the bearing was that bad you would clearly be able to see which side is solid and which has play

Quote:
it is possible to have a "loud" wheel bearing that has no play in it. seen it many times. but taking the bearing out to spin... horribly way to diagnose anything.

Quote:
That's your problem right there. What's the brand name and country of origin for these?

So I know that the written language can be taken the wrong way but all of the responses I got here are more insulting to me with no help. I thought the forum was supposed to be here for like minded people to help each other. I didnt just join from a google search when I had a problem I have been here for 4 years and I mostly read, research and learn instead of asking stupid questions with out researching at all.

The first quote is telling me what I am supposed to after a week of no one answering and after I found out for myself what the problem is. Also how can that be the supposed way when it doesn't always work. Why not suggest it as a possible way to diagnose it.

Second quote, also would have been nice to know before I found out for myself and spinning in my hand is a horrible way? Both times I have had bad bearings I can hear and feel a difference while spinning in my hand just not in early stages.

Third quote, not all of have the money to buy the best parts out there and even if we did they still have only the same warranty and I have had alot of success from purchasing cheap Chinese parts in the past. my cheap $40 bearing is still under warranty and if a timkin died at 2-3 years well no warranty but my cheap Chinese one that dies at 6-12 months still covered each time anyway it was prob just a fluke because any bearing should last more than 8 months no matter how cheap it is and I gambled to save money.

I just wish all of you would be more supportive in my efforts in keeping a car that we all like living. Most people don't appreciate cars like we do especially insignificant ones like Alero's. I have been happy with mine. I have had it for 12 years and 163,000 miles and I didn't start having bearing problems til 155,000 miles and I hope that I will have better support if I have to come with questions in the future.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
im not on often so i couldnt add my input right away. and half the time i cant veiw "new posts".

the first quote is true. easiest way to find a bad wheel bearing because you will feel the wheel tip in and out.

secound quote is just a fact. what if yo ugot that wheel bearing out and spun in by hand and didnt feel anything wrong with it? what if you took the wheel bearing out and damaged the cvshaft threads putting it back in? or stripped bolts? and then to find out it might not even be the right bearing? just a lot more work (when your not positive with whats wrong). thats all.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL2Alero View Post
. I have had alot of success from purchasing cheap Chinese parts in the past.

Then you are either extremely lucky or somehow consider it acceptable to be continually be swapping out Chines parts under warranty.

Personally I would never do just one side for wheel bearings. I would change them in pairs.

At 163K miles, your axles are worn out. Even if they look fine (meaning no ripped boots), they are loose internally and that alone will cause enough vibration (at highway speeds) we be noticeable, and no amount of wheel balancing will fix it.

Also, isn't it possible to have problems with the wiring for the sensors that are in the wheel bearings? I think I have seen posts here devoted to that. Of course that would probably not explain any noise.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
Then you are either extremely lucky or somehow consider it acceptable to be continually be swapping out Chines parts under warranty.

Personally I would never do just one side for wheel bearings. I would change them in pairs.

At 163K miles, your axles are worn out. Even if they look fine (meaning no ripped boots), they are loose internally and that alone will cause enough vibration (at highway speeds) we be noticeable, and no amount of wheel balancing will fix it.

Also, isn't it possible to have problems with the wiring for the sensors that are in the wheel bearings? I think I have seen posts here devoted to that. Of course that would probably not explain any noise.

bull crap. 180k original cv shafts. no problems on my old ld9
Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
bull crap. 180k original cv shafts. no problems on my old ld9

I have had axles wear out internally. They didn't click, leak, or have a split boot!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

doesnt mean they all will.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
GL2Alero
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
doesnt mean they all will.

Exactly what I was thinking about my bearings and how sometimes have different symptoms.

Either way this site seems to be full of know it all's and tear you down's.
I was hoping to get suggestions and support for my work. But all you guys do is bicker about who knows what more.

My Alero is running as good as ever now thanks to no one but myself.
I am signing out.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Old 09-06-2019, 12:17 AM   #16
mrbreezeet1
GX Member

mrbreezeet1 is on a distinguished road
Normally, what big O said is correct,

"Took it to Big-O where I got the tires and they said it was the front right bearing because the sound is louder turning to the left and is quieter turning to the right"
Normally.
But the last bad bearing on mine, Noisy turning to the right, lessend turning back to the left. So I replaced the left one.
still had noise. (was planing on replacing both anyhow)
But parts store was showing bad right sensor open.
So pulled the right one, and had noise, rough feeling when turning the bearing by hand (off the car)
But most times, noisy turning to one side, less when turning to the other side, It's usually the side it gets less noisy.
But not always.
I have read, if you jack up and support the front of the car on stands , You can spin the tires, and place you hand on the coil spring, and you'll be able to feel it, but I have not tried it yet.
mrbreezeet1 is offline   Reply With Quote