Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 10-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Lucion01
GX Member

Lucion01 is on a distinguished road
Weird headlight problem.

So for a couple months now the driver side low beam headlight likes to randomly go out. I used to be able to just take my index finger and tap on the low beam, and it'd come right back on. Now it takes a good whack to get it to come back on. When you turn the brights off Sometimes it won't come back on.

Whenever the foglight switch is on, the headlight is guaranteed not to come on. Foglights have also been on the fritz. First the passenger side stopped working, then the driver side lens cracked and corroded the bulb insanely quick. (I had checked the same foglight bulb a couple weeks before and it looked great) So now both foglights don't work, but I know the switch does because it still screws with the headlight.

When the foglight switch is off, the headlight will come on. I've also been keepin an eye on it the whole time, just kinda learning the characteristics of it going out all the time. It seems to not want to work when the headlight is cold. If I start the car and let it warm up since it's cold outside now, I can turn the brights on and off and the light will still come back on.

I've removed the headlight several times and check wires and connections. They all seem good. The level inside the headlight is cracked though, so I don't really know if that headlight is level.

I'm sure I could throw a headlight at it and it would work, but I just kinda want to know why it does that.
Lucion01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
Check the fuses? Make sure you have the correct amperage. Also, would help to throw some dielectric grease in the sockets for all your bulbs. If that doesn't work, go HID

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Lucion01
GX Member

All the fuses are good for headlights and fogs. The relay for the fogs clicks every time I throw the switch. I've checked all the connectors to the light. Think it's possible my fog light housing being cracked, allowed moisture into the fog light bulb connector, and is now causing problems with the wiring for all the lights?

I've searched headlight problems on this forum, and none of them really match up. So this might just be a rare occurrence on our cars.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Lucion01
GX Member

Anyone else got any ideas?

I've been having to smack the headlight harder and harder lately to get it back on.

I'm honestly sure it's just the headlight itself, but I don't see where the fog lights and brights would make it not come back on. Not to mention, I've been testing my hot/cold theory. If I start he car before I go out, smack the headlight if it needs it, and let it sit for a bit, it'll stay on.I can flip the brights on off, and I can flip the fog switch then turn the brights on and off and it still works. So it seems to be when the headlight is warm it stays on.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
jawa