Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
bigbiz15
GX Member

bigbiz15 is on a distinguished road
Oil Pressure light on and Engine wont turn over

So Saturday I stopped for some snacks at a gas station and when I got back my engine would not turn over and start. I tried turning the key a couple of time and it finally started. When I got home though and was heading out for the night it wouldn't start at all. My oil pressure light came on and the car wouldn't turn over at all and my car went dead. I tried jumping it and checking my oil level but nothing worked. I got it towed to my mechanic and he said that the engine locked up and I needed another engine. I wanted to know if anyone had experience with the oil pressure light coming on and what they did or what could be the issue for this problem. I need help baaaaaaad. I want my baby back. Please help.
bigbiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
so you tried checking the oil level. were you successful? how bad was it?

any horrible noises coming from the engine?

there's really no way to diagnose something like this without actually being there to work on it I'm afraid
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
bigbiz15
GX Member

The engine oil level was good, the oil was fine I just had my oil changed about 2 months ago. and the engine makes noises like it wants to start but it just wont. Its similar to when the security light is on and the kill engine is active.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
what engine is it?
  1. Crank it over with a wrench on the crank pulley bolt and see if you can do it or it actually is seized (it will have some resistance due to compression unless you remove the spark plugs first)
  2. Pull the spark plugs and take a peek inside with a light to observe any liquid or metal debris on top of the pistons indicating any significant failure
  3. Drain the oil and observe any debris in it.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
bigbiz15
GX Member

By chance if my engine is seized up would I need to buy a new engine or would I need to just replace the oil pump
Old 11-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

If the engine is seized and it's because parts weren't lubricated properly, components are stuck against each other. The heat and friction from this would have damaged the cylinder walls/pistons/rods/bearings beyond reasonable re-use.

You'd need a new one.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
bigbiz15
GX Member

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
well ill hope for the least expensive route. how much would another engine run me
Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

Prices are all over the board. I bought my spare engine with 30,000 miles for $125. But that was a bit of a rare thing to happen.

But installation will be $800-1000 to pay a shop to do it, at least.

Could be other things stopping the engine from turning. Maybe your starter is seized and the gear is stuck against the flywheel keeping the engine from turning. Who knows.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
bigbiz15
GX Member

What im going to do is take it to the gm dealer and get it serviced that way ill know for sure what the issue is without at doubt and can go from there without questions of what ifs and maybes.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
How many miles are on the car and which engine does it have? Going to a dealer might not turn out to be any better than your other mechanic. It's kind of odd that the engine would just seize up suddenly like that unless you ran it low on oil.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
jawa