Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 06-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #81
CiscoPath
GL Member

CiscoPath is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alero- View Post
so does this mean its split up into divisions?

let me get this straight:
4 cylinder tuners - dont work on thier own car?
6 cylinder tuners - work on their car?
8 cylinder tuners - question mark?

hmmph, i guess livin life in the v6 lane makes your penis bigger?

When did I say ALL 4 cyl cars are taken to the shop? I said car companies thrive off the demographic that own 4s. They are more prone to throwing money at their car and not rationally thinking out a budget or properly know how to even take care of their cars. If you're not among the latter, then you're one step ahead of the pack.

Last edited by CiscoPath : 06-08-2008 at 10:08 PM.
CiscoPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #82
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
alrighties
Old 06-10-2008, 02:50 AM   #83
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Thats where I get it from!
Old 06-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #84
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:

I wonder what those self built V6 guys say when a self built turbo 4 blows by them...
Old 06-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #85
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJules View Post
A car with a Manual Transmission will make more power than one with the same engine and an Automatic.

we all know that. the real question is does the 3% of hp gained by the manual offset the slower shift times? can you shift in half a second? hell, i programmed my car to shift in .1 seconds. granted, it doesn't shift that fast, but its close.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #86
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
I wonder what those self built V6 guys say when a self built turbo 4 blows by them...

GO TO THE TRACK.

I'm not sure how the hell you can build your turbo setup and just fly around on the street and claim you should be in the low 13s yet never go to the track to get some real numbers. WHY? Why would you not want to know what your work does and just speculate, then decide to tear apart the car and put in an Ecotec and do something else. SEE WHAT THIS DOES. SERIOUSLY. I WANT TO KNOW.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #87
AJules
GLS member

AJules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000 View Post
we all know that. the real question is does the 3% of hp gained by the manual offset the slower shift times? can you shift in half a second? hell, i programmed my car to shift in .1 seconds. granted, it doesn't shift that fast, but its close.

I never thought of it that way. I've never actually tested it either, but I've always assumed the extra power was a greater advantage than the shift time was a disadvantage.

I visit gagt.com pretty often to see what's new and I do know there is a guy who mated a 6-speed manual with a 3400 v6? Does anybody know about that? I've never actually read the threads but it seems like it would have some pretty interesting results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
GO TO THE TRACK.

I'm not sure how the hell you can build your turbo setup and just fly around on the street and claim you should be in the low 13s yet never go to the track to get some real numbers. WHY? Why would you not want to know what your work does and just speculate, then decide to tear apart the car and put in an Ecotec and do something else. SEE WHAT THIS DOES. SERIOUSLY. I WANT TO KNOW.

x2, I wouldn't mind seeing some track times either

same thing for you c2, I'm curious to see what times your setup can run.
AJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #88
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
GO TO THE TRACK.

Chill out dude. Let's get upset at someone you don't even know because of something they said on the internet...

The nearest quarter mile track is over an hour away from here. Plus, to run a street driven car at the track, it needs to have a current state inspection, which my car does not. I need 2 new oxygen sensors, plus the other day I started leaking fuel from somewhere around the tank.

If you knew me, you'd know that I don't just fly around the street. Actually very rarely do I really get on it. Yes, there have been the occasional short sprints on the highway, or a few street races here and there, but who doesn't do that? I don't go out every night looking for the next guy to race to the next red light.

Also, I've said I should run around high 13's because similar setups on J-bodies have run around mid 13's, and Aleros are a little heavier. I have also beat cars, from a roll and from a dig, that I know run high 13's.

If I really cared that much about the numbers, I would've been to the track already and I would've kept adding little things to this engine. When the new engine is in and running, then I'll get some numbers to see what it will do.

If you want to know so bad, swap to a turbo. Besides, there's no point doing a nice build on an engine to waste it on a weak supercharger.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #89
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJules View Post
same thing for you c2, I'm curious to see what times your setup can run.
Daily driver, 183,000 miles. Too risky. Gotta wait til the the spare engine's built and put in and I spray meth.

Quote:
Chill out dude. Let's get upset at someone you don't even know because of something they said on the internet...
It's serious business.
Quote:
If you knew me, you'd know that I don't just fly around the street. Actually very rarely do I really get on it. Yes, there have been the occasional short sprints on the highway, or a few street races here and there, but who doesn't do that? I don't go out every night looking for the next guy to race to the next red light.
Same here.
Quote:
If you want to know so bad, swap to a turbo. Besides, there's no point doing a nice build on an engine to waste it on a weak supercharger.
LOLWTF? I'm doing a custom FMIC MP62 setup soon enough, along with meth, nitrous, CO2 intercooler sprayer, and a ton of other stuff. All I want are low 13s or high 12s, and the whine. Satisfactory to me.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #90
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
LOLWTF? I'm doing a custom FMIC MP62 setup soon enough, along with meth, nitrous, CO2 intercooler sprayer, and a ton of other stuff. All I want are low 13s or high 12s, and the whine. Satisfactory to me.
I knew that you get you going
Old 06-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #91
2fast2furious01
GX Member

2fast2furious01 is on a distinguished road
I definitely wish they were more options on parts and accesibility for us 3.4 guys. I guess when you're the less popular one you gotta pay the price price ...
Old 06-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #92
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast2furious01 View Post
I definitely wish they were more options on parts and accesibility for us 3.4 guys. I guess when you're the less popular one you gotta pay the price price ...

^^exactly, and when it comes to owning alero not everyone is willing to pay that extra price
Old 06-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #93
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
hahaha, I just got through reading all this garbage.

This isn't to anyone in general, but everyone in particular.

Truth be told? I bought my Alero as a back-up family car for while I was gone on my first Iraq deployment. I didn't want to go this far with it, but I love my car, but also wanted to build a "tuner". I wasn't about to go buy another car, so I just began with simple mods (all that was available at the time) and decided to try and go all out.

Bottom line is, it might not be the best thing happening, but it's MINE, and I LOVE IT. So I'm going to do the best I can do with it, and anybody that wants to step up with their 4-banger N-body and equalize weight with me (3600lb track weight) is more than welcome to. I don't hate the 4-bangers, but I own a 6, and that's what I'm going to work with. If I had a 4-banger, I'd be building it either way.

As far as all the shit-talking about the ecotec, I have yet to see someone who brags about all the potential actually do one with an N-body, and until then, STFU and eat a fat one.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #94
Raziel
GX Member

Raziel is on a distinguished road
nevermind old post forget my 2 cents

Last edited by Raziel : 07-24-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Raziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #95
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
When I bought my Alero I had a choice between it and the other 2 being the 2.2's, I wanted the 6, not because it was a b*t*h to mod, but because I wanted the bigger motor, was tired of driving stick, had more options and was cheaper than the 2.2s that were the same year.

The cars that you are defining are prebuilt with a turbo or supercharger so in all theory and actuallity....THEY ARE GOING TO BE FASTER THAN A STOCK 6...it doesn't take rocket science to know that and I sure as hell aint going to trade off the current vehicle so I can be like every other wanna be tuner driving pre-build Cavalier's and Neon's, I wanna do the work myself.

Like it was said in previous posts, if you are so worried about the smaller engine transplant one or trade in...it's not really a difficult decision to make, maybe a couple of notches in brain activity at most.

there is my 2 cents worth on the subject, like it or hate it, but it's my opinion.

Raz
Old 07-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #96
[ion] C2
636 whp

btw, post originated over 1 year ago, most recent post was an accidental thread resurrection
Old 07-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #97
NickAlero2000
GLS member

NickAlero2000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
exactly DOHC > pushrod.......... Ken how many times have you gone to the track and seen a little CRX with its B16 or B18 or hell even the K20, with its little Pizza hut hat on,literally stomp all over LS1's and V8's all day......

Theres a K20 all motor Civic at LVD that pushes mid 12s
And ya, they stomp the 8 cyl's because the 8s are pulling a lot more weight than the stripped sub 2000lb crex
NickAlero2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #98
[ion] C2
636 whp

-Alero-'s post was made on 5-29-2008

FYI

Old 07-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #99
wrestlingandrunning
GL Member

wrestlingandrunning is on a distinguished road
LOLWTF? I'm doing a custom FMIC MP62 setup soon enough, along with meth, nitrous, CO2 intercooler sprayer, and a ton of other stuff. All I want are low 13s or high 12s, and the whine. Satisfactory to me.[/quote]

Don't you have a turbo on your car now? lol and yes I know when thi swas started a year ago but I think it's funny how things change so quick.
wrestlingandrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:54 AM   #100
[ion] C2
636 whp

It is funny how everything changed since then. Screw the MP62. Scrapped the project and turbo'd the next week.