Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 10-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Vitamin CC
GX Member

Vitamin CC is on a distinguished road
Post Idle problems.

Alright, so I have a 2000 alero 2dr. Its got the 3.4 V6 and its automatic. I don't know a heck of alot about this power plant, this is the first car iv ever owned and iv only had it for 2-3 months.
Anyways, my problem seems fairly simple but im not sure what i should check. The car starts fine and runs very smooth. But, once the engine warms up, it hunts when it is idling. (the engine RPM drops and then picks back up)
This only happins when it is warm and idling, not wile your driving.
I was thinking it could be a sensor...but im not sure what sencer to check, were that would be and how to check it.
Any ideas would be much apreasheated.
Vitamin CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
IAC sensor, TPS sensor, MAP sensor....etc...o2 sensors

vacuum leak?

fouled plugs?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:38 AM   #3
Vitamin CC
GX Member

I put new plugs and wires in a few days after I bought it. How would I go about testing for a vacuum leak ? Not to be a pain in the ass but im a bit of a rookie so to say.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Check engine light on?
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
i would check MAF sensor or IAT sensor but sounds most likely its your MAF sensor or a vacuum leak

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
^^ Yeah I vote for a vacuum leak

Check the elbow on the front driver's side of the manifold right next to the throttle body. That elbow rots away very easy and GM doesn't carry it.

$2.00 for a vacuum tee and some hose and it's fixed

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
Vitamin CC
GX Member

alright, I finally got a day off work tomorrow, so hopfuly after school I can take a look at it. If its a vacuum leak and it is from a rotting elbow like you are subjesting, im just trying to picture this in my mind. standing infront of the car with the hood open, on the far drivers side, there is the air box, rubber/plastic hose goes over to into the intake, the aluminium thing with all the lumps on it directing air into the cylinders. But just before that there are wires and crap all pluged into the rubber line from the air box. Thats were your telling me to look for this rotted piece ? And if there is no rotting elbow would my next best bet be the MAF ? (Mass Air Flow if im correct) is there any way to check that as well ?
And thank you all for helping me through this, I wasnt really sure were to start. Hopfuly I can get this figured out soon though.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
sounds exactely like a vaccuum leak. the thing you said with all the wires plugged in is your throttle body, yes thats where a vaccuum line hooks to with a 90 degree angle coupler.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
Vitamin CC
GX Member

alright I took a look at the throttle body today and i didnt see anything that looked rotten. and if it was something that was rotten wouldnt it affect the idle all the time, not just once it warms up ? could this mean its pointing to a sencer ? doesnt this engine have a defalt mode that bypasses the sencers untill it warms up ? oh ya, to the fellow that asked before the check engine light is not on. hopfuly some of this makes sence....lol
Old 11-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #10
Qcksilver
V.I.P. Member

Qcksilver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Qcksilver
I also am having an idle problem that i'm hoping you all can help me figure out. At idle my alero seems to be fighting to find a good idle speed and even shakes the car back and forth. almost like it's lunging forward then resting back. does this make sense to anyone? by the way I have a 2.4 L 4cyl. and it's a 2000 alero if it makes a difference.

my check engine light is on. the hose that goes to the intake air temperature sensor did have a hole in it so i've since put the original intake systme back together. still same problem.
then i replaced all 4 spark plugs. all 4 old plugs had white tips on the gapped end. (not sure if this means anything) new plugs did nothing, same problem.
then i replaced the fuel filter, still i have the same problem.

all these things i really needed to do anyway cuz it was time but none of them fixed my problem. a buddy of mine let me borrow his OBD II scanner thing and it came up with this code P0171. can anyone decifer this for me?? any help would be great. thanks guys & gals.

great...now my signature doesn't work either. awesome. this just isn't my month. lol

Last edited by Qcksilver : 11-12-2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: easier to read
Qcksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #11
Steven01
GL Member

Steven01 is on a distinguished road
[quote=Qcksilver;405967]I also am having an idle problem that i'm hoping you all can help me figure out. At idle my alero seems to be fighting to find a good idle speed and even shakes the car back and forth. almost like it's lunging forward then resting back. does this make sense to anyone? by the way I have a 2.4 L 4cyl. and it's a 2000 alero if it makes a difference.

I sorta have the same problem. But no engine light no lights at all. I have sea fomed ive changed plugs have not touched sensors yet..

I don't know, but some one did tell me that it is just my car trying to find it idle. But doesnt make sence to me why it would be fine when cold and once temp is Nice and WARM it almost doese it at every stop..
Steven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
Qcksilver
V.I.P. Member

Steven01--I'll believe that it's the car trying to find the idle but the question is why is it happening? i've had my alero since 2000. bought it brand new and this is the first time it's done this to me.

one more thing i've noticed with mine that i forgot to add yesterday. my Trac Off light that's under the Check Engine light has been coming on also. and sometimes it doesn't want to go out even though i've pushed the button next to the shifter. from time to time it goes out on it's own. not sure if it has anything to do with my problem but the two lights seem to have come on around the same time.

anyone out there have any ideas?? anything at all??
Old 11-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #13
dtldiaspora
GX Member

dtldiaspora is on a distinguished road
if your check engine light is on, get someone to scan the codes for you might help you find out what your problem is.

Autozone, a friend anyone you know who has a scanner that will get the codes
dtldiaspora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #14
Qcksilver
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtldiaspora View Post
if your check engine light is on, get someone to scan the codes for you might help you find out what your problem is.

Autozone, a friend anyone you know who has a scanner that will get the codes

a buddy of mine let me borrow his OBD II scanner thing and it came up with this code P0171. can anyone decifer this for me?? I read about the code, it means the car is running to lean. but what does that mean? what do i need to change? any help would be great.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcksilver View Post
one more thing i've noticed with mine that i forgot to add yesterday. my Trac Off light that's under the Check Engine light has been coming on also. and sometimes it doesn't want to go out even though i've pushed the button next to the shifter. from time to time it goes out on it's own. not sure if it has anything to do with my problem but the two lights seem to have come on around the same time.
The same thing used to happen to me... with the same P0171 code... it occurred immediately after I installed my narrowband air/fuel ratio gauge and tapped into the O2 sensor's wires. Ever since I disconnected that gauge, it's never happened.

Sounds to me like a vacuum leak; you're getting unmetered air in somewhere.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:46 AM   #16
Qcksilver
V.I.P. Member

where do you think it might be? is there a common place where these type of vacuum leaks happen more often than not? any ideas or help would be great.

i read on another web site that it could be clogged injectors or even a bad fuel pump. does that make sense to anyone? is there an easy way to find out what it is, cheap? i mean without sending it to the shop.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #17
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
clogged injectors and new fuel pump is expensive, and it sounds like a vacuum leak anyway. i would take a look at areas near your TB and see if any gaskets are cracked or anything looks out of place

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #18
Qcksilver
V.I.P. Member

Just to be sure, TB means throttle body, right?? or are u talking about something else.

by the way, i don't know if it makes a difference but my 2000 alero has 38,000 miles on it.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #19
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcksilver View Post
Just to be sure, TB means throttle body, right?? or are u talking about something else.

by the way, i don't know if it makes a difference but my 2000 alero has 38,000 miles on it.

Holy moly thats some low mileage!
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:54 AM   #20
Qcksilver
V.I.P. Member

Yeah, it is very low miles. I don't drive it very often. i fly for a living so my alero basically just takes me fromt the house to work and back. mostly it just sits in the parking lot at work waiting for me to return from a flight. which lasts around 5 days to about 2 weeks. when i'm home we always drive my wifes car so the alero just sits in the garage, waiting patiently.

anyway can anyone answer my question? TB means throttle body, right? or is it something else.