Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 08-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
TheThickster
GX Member

TheThickster is on a distinguished road
Hard Start/No start condition

Hey guys been a while since ive posted, Im having a problem with my wifes 1999 Alero 3400. Every once and a while after warming it up about 5 minutes then turning it off to go to the store or whatever. I come back to start here up and it cranks like its wants to fire up, but no start, you push on the throttle then it dies, you just here the starter running. It takes about 6 tries until it finally starts up without stumbling like there was no problem at all.

So far ive replaced the plug wires, spark plugs, evap purge solenoid, tps, iac valve, iat, maf sensor, new lim gaskets and upper plenum and throttle body gaskets plus cleaned all the gunk out. All my hoses are good no cracks sprayed car cleaner around engine bay and no change in idle.

When it decides to crap out on me I hear the fuel pump humming each and everytime i turn the key forward, crank here up and it just cranks like she wants to but then notthing.

This is ticking me off Im thinking it might be the ICM or a bad coil but im not certain. Thinking about heading down to oreillys to getting the ICM checked. I nothiced that fuel tank charcoal canister has been smelling like fuel lately dont know if that would be the problem.

What do you all think or has this ever happened to anyone.

The problem is not all the time just like every other day and its ticking me off.

Just hit 210,000 miles bisches
TheThickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Mike The Canadian is on a distinguished road
It's possible that the fuel pressure regulator is going bad....
Get a long plastic tube (clear) and put it on the fpr... once the car is warm and you shut her down... put the tube on the top and suck... watch for gas (don't swallow!).

If you see gas coming out of it it's a sure sign that this is your problem (someone may have a better description of how to check this).

If you do the "suck test" just make sure you're using a long piece of plastic tube so you don't suck up any gasoline... it should feel like sucking on a staw with a finger plugging the other end.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Canadian View Post
It's possible that the fuel pressure regulator is going bad....
Get a long plastic tube (clear) and put it on the fpr... once the car is warm and you shut her down... put the tube on the top and suck... watch for gas (don't swallow!).

If you see gas coming out of it it's a sure sign that this is your problem (someone may have a better description of how to check this).

If you do the "suck test" just make sure you're using a long piece of plastic tube so you don't suck up any gasoline... it should feel like sucking on a staw with a finger plugging the other end.

Or get a syringe and attach it to the long tube so you don't have to suck on it lol

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
try turning the key on and off a few times before hitting "crank". could be the check valve in the fuel pump assembly going bad allowing fuel to drain back into the tank? quick easy check so just give it a try.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
TheThickster
GX Member

forgot to mention shes got a new fpr too. i just got back from oreillys and tested myself since i work there btw 3 times tapped on it real good while testing and the icm passed each time. im stumbled.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
TheThickster
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
try turning the key on and off a few times before hitting "crank". could be the check valve in the fuel pump assembly going bad allowing fuel to drain back into the tank? quick easy check so just give it a try.

fuel pump was replaced back in 2006. but even after the 5th time it should be build enough pressure. arrghhh this car is driving me nuts.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
Coolant temp sensor?
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
TheThickster
GX Member

coolant sensor swapped out also, this is getting annoying all new sensors except for the crank and cam sensors. at WOT she stumbles on the high rpm range but runs just fine at idle and normal driving. Could my LIM gasket be to blame they are just low end fel-pro gaskets I replaced back in december of 2010.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
I know this is old but sure sounds like head gasket to me. Poor start could be coolant pooling in cylinder when vahicle is parked and you should have a head leak test done through the coolant bottle would be my advise