Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 09-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
belt touching tensioner?

well i took the car into a shop to have them put on the parts i ordered... first of all they did an alignment and it was WORSE than when it went in (steering wheel is off and it pulls to the right) so i took it back for them to fix it and they didn't make much of a difference...

so because of this i went and checked the other work they did to make sure they didn't screw that up. well, good thing. the gatorback belt i had them put on is touching the tensioner a small amount now, only when the car is off. when it's on, it isn't touching but there is a very small gap between them... but i'm still worried. is this ok or should i loosen the belt?

Last edited by mastershake : 09-14-2012 at 07:15 PM.
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
i would take your car to a GM dealer for a true alignment. IMO.

never owned a gatorback belt, probably never will. to me a belt is a belt. weather its gatorback or one from napa. ive heard people have some problems with the gatorback belts but not much. its not a good sign its hitting there, but maybe someone with a gator belt can have more insight on this then me.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Maybe not enough give for the tensioner to put tension on the belt? Or it could be that your tensioner is just worn out and needs to be replaced...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
I agree with cav here....prob the tensioner. Check it out.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
pull the tensioner now and make sure that the mounting bracket isn't broken. Also make sure that the tab protruding from the mounting side of the tensioner is alligned properly with the slot on the mounting bracket. Kinda dumb but... make sure the belt is routed properly as well!
Old 09-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Do you notice a clicking/rattling sound when the engine is running? That was my indicator that the tensioner was bad. Also, if you replace it, don't over tighten the bolt for the tensioner pulley......... I did that and my $25 job turned into a $400 job. LOL
Old 09-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Just had a thought too guys... did they put the right length belt on it in the first place?! They may have gone too long and would result in what you are seeing there
Old 09-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
Just had a thought too guys... did they put the right length belt on it in the first place?! They may have gone too long and would result in what you are seeing there

That was my first thought, too. And I have bought some replacement tensioners that had a different size pulley but they insisted the part# was the same.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

My new tensioner pulley is a bit smaller too, but I still use the same belt size. No problems.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
no clicking or rattling...

the belt is part 4060865, which i thought was correct. rock auto lists 2 different sizes. 86.5 and 87.2
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
MMGT1
GLS member

you have the shorter of the two anyway... check the tensioner man