Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

View Poll Results: Dynomax Super Turbo or Borla Turbo?
Dynomax Super Turbo 9 60.00%
Borla Turbo 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
ccsmith87
GX Member

ccsmith87 is on a distinguished road
Dynomax Super Turbo or Borla Turbo?

I've scrapped the idea of a Flowmaster 60 Series, too much money and it's not stainless. Also, it doesn't sound like anybody uses them, probably for those reasons.

Now I've decided on either a Dynomax Super Turbo ($58-65, lifetime warranty, don't believe it's stainless) or a Borla Turbo ($124-126, 3-year warranty in Canada, stainless). Center/Offset 2" or adapting my 2" pipe to 2 1/4". Leaving my stock resonator as well. I'm looking for something that's not really that loud but is deeper sounding.

It's kind of hard to argue with lifetime warranty and half the price. But stainless sounds nice and Borla usually has a nice sound.

I also have the 2.2L Ecotec if that makes any difference.

So what do you guys think?

(Also somebody can delete my Flowmaster thread in the Ecotec forum. Thanks.)

Last edited by ccsmith87 : 07-01-2010 at 08:58 AM.
ccsmith87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Depends on the sound you want. Dynomax super turbo, I have heard is quieter. A lot of people here use magnaflow, and it is also stainless.

Also, I would get 2.5 inch. It is possible to adapt it to a smaller pipe, and when you want to upgrade your pipes, you don't need to buy new mufflers.

Last edited by Valley olds : 06-30-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Valley olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
ccsmith87
GX Member

Not really a fan of the sound of a Magnaflow.

I'll probably only up the piping to 2.25". The engine isn't going to be modded really. Probably just a short ram intake and that's about all.

So far it's 2 votes Borla.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Dynomax Super Turbo all the way.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Dynomax dude. Ive got one welded on to the sock piping on my 2.4 and it really sounds awesome. Ive also got a Dnomax race bullet on the way to replace my resonator with, so once that's on I'll prolly do a vid of the sound to give people an idea of what it sounds like.
Philbar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
depends what engine. ive got the 2.4 with a borla muffler and it sounds awesome. just my opinion tho.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
honestly i had the dynomax for almost a year and then switched to the magnaflow camaro style muffler about two months ago and its a lot deeper than the dynomax
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
Check the 'HushMaster' series by FlowMaster. Summit pricing is good and the sound is very solid/smooth. Still needs to utilize a resonator for best effect.
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
ccsmith87
GX Member

Split down the middle... 6 to 6.

I have an Ecotec if that makes any difference.

And remember I'm looking for quiet as well, not just sound.

alero_bmxer: I've considered getting a Camaro-style muffler before but I don't want to dish out the extra money for a Razzi rear bumper to have the dual outlets.

Here's a question to those running the Dynomax muffler... how has it been holding up? Any rust issues? I've got some really salty winters here in Nova Scotia so I don't want to be replacing the muffler every year due to rust.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
alero_bmxer: I've considered getting a Camaro-style muffler before but I don't want to dish out the extra money for a Razzi rear bumper to have the dual outlets.

the shop i went to did a rough cut on the stock bumper and i did the perfecting of it and to be honest it looks like it came that way from the factory
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

Old 07-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
ccsmith87
GX Member

Me and body work don't get along too well. I'm sure you used fiberglass to get the shape and everything?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
alero_bmxer
GL Member

nope free handed it with an exacto knife and then sanded the rough edges with sandpaper

Old 07-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #13
ccsmith87
GX Member

I think maybe I'll just stick with a non-Camaro muffler and if I want dual-exit's in the future I'll weld in a Y and use another muffler.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #14
ccsmith87
GX Member

I think I'm going to go with Dynomax Super Turbo's. NAPA Canada in the fall is going to be switching from Maremont/Cherry Bomb to Walker/Dynomax so I'm probably going to be able to get them even cheaper and Warranty stuff will be even easier to process... seeing as I work for them. =)
Old 07-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #15
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
^ good choice. You shouldn't be disappointed. And they seem to be pretty good quality, although it certainly wouldn't hurt to paint it with some high temperature paint if your worried about rust.
Philbar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
AtomicX
GL Member

AtomicX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AtomicX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsmith87 View Post
I think I'm going to go with Dynomax Super Turbo's. NAPA Canada in the fall is going to be switching from Maremont/Cherry Bomb to Walker/Dynomax so I'm probably going to be able to get them even cheaper and Warranty stuff will be even easier to process... seeing as I work for them. =)

If you need one cheap I have a Dynomax Super Turbo 2.5'' in/out used for 3 days before I got in the accident.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
ccsmith87
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicX View Post
If you need one cheap I have a Dynomax Super Turbo 2.5'' in/out used for 3 days before I got in the accident.

By the time it got to Nova Scotia, Canada, shipping would kill the price of it. Thanks for the offer though.